Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Different from the norm

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Different from the norm [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 20:20
Hello everyone:

I'll be turning 23 this July and entering my senior year of undergrad in Virginia (large state school). I currently have a 3.9 GPA in finance and I am an active member of the securities club and entrepreneurship club. I work part time at a boutique ibank and run an IT consulting firm with a primary contract with an insurance company.

My long term professional goal is to manage my own private equity firm and invest my money. In an effort to achieve that goal, I would like to earn an MBA from Duke, Virginia, or Wharton. My goal is to begin my MBA studies at the age of 30.

During the time after graduation from undergrad and the start of my MBA studies, I would like to finish the year long wilderness and survival training program I started on in Maine. After that I would like to work as a backcountry guide in Alaska. My worry however is that this work would not be considered professional in the eyes of the schools. A lot of the student resumes that I have looked over for the top MBA schools include work experience from top consulting firms and bulge bracket ibanks.

So my question is, how much would it hurt me (for MBA admission) to do what I want to do after undergrad?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Different from the norm [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 20:47
If that is all that you do, then yes. It's great to have something interested to write and talk about in your application and interview, but ultimately most top programs are looking for 3-4 years of solid work experience. The most obvious way to accomplish this is at a feeder type job like consulting or investment banking, but there are lots of other ways.

Since you have 6-7 years before you plan to start your MBA, you probably have time to do the stuff you are talking about and still get some solid work experience. None of the requirements are set in stone, but that would be a pretty enticing package for top schools.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Different from the norm [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 14:32
I think that it would be a great way to differentiate yourself. You still have plenty of time, as you will only be 24 when you graduate. After graduation if you spend 1 year in survival training and 1 or 2 years as a backcountry guide in Alaska will still have 3 or 4 years to work at a "real" job before age 30. I say go for it.

MBA Blog: University of Minnesota Carlson School of Management- http://unconventionalapplicant.blogspot.com/

Re: Different from the norm   [#permalink] 23 May 2008, 14:32