Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth, Stern, Haas
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [0]
Send PM
Re: Disappointed with 600 (Q-47, V-25) [#permalink]
Rakesh...I don't have much advice to give you as to how you can improve your score but I can restate a nugget of common knowledge, i.e., Most of the people give GMAT at least twice.

people don't do GMAT twice because they love it so much :roll: they do it because it is so hard to score up to one's true abilites in one try. Inability to sleep the night before, the fear of the worst (score and not getting into school), strangeness of the test environment, one's mental state on that particular day and countless exogenous variables can come together to negatively affect the test result.

You practice scores show that without practice you can easily score 50 more points and if you use focused approach to improve some areas of your verbal you can be ready in a month to score around 700. You are already very strong in math and you can improve your SC skills in a months time.

So, don't worry...take a break for a week, refocus your efforts and I am sure you can cross the 700 barrier. The main thing is to realize that: if you don't score up to your potential then you can take the test again...It's not a one chance scenario. work hard, work smart and do your best; this is the philosophy I have adopted so an not to stress about this test too much. what's the worst that can happen if you don't score high enough...you do it again

good luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
I took the test last year and it was at 12pm. I noticed that this does not appear to be an option anymore, at least in the NYC area. It seems that the test is only offered at 8am. I wonder if that is intentional.(???)

I would advise taking practice test during the same time that your test is schedule for. You will build a routine.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks guys - jay, solaris, kazakh and humbled4real, for your suggestions. I’m beginning to get some confidence back. I’ll take some time off for few weeks before starting to prep again. At least, I don’t have to hurry, I’m 25 now and think that I have few years before I start applying.

I’d focus on my weak areas - SC, tough math questions and timing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
rakesh22,

I also took a sleep pill the night before the test (BIG MISTAKE) and could barely focus on the verbal section. I ended up scoring a 42Q 24V. The next day I re-scheduled, and scored 120 points higher the second time around. How do you ask? I started exercising two weeks before I took my second exam. My advice: exercise in the morning before work. It does wonders for the brain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I too slept only 3 hours the night before and took the test at 8am. My verbal score was also in the 20s, but I expected more.

Anyways, I have a question about the verbal section. Say, I answered a few sentence corrections questions incorrectly in the beginning, would the CAT give me easier RC and CR as the result?

If that is the case, you need to be good at all 3 types of questions in order to score high on the verbal section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Send PM
Sounds so familiar...

8-t59100
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
Hey,

Looking at your CAT scores I can't imagine you having a score of 600. I think it was just a bad day for you.

Take a break and then nail this sucker down.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Keep pushin!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
2L, yes, if you answer SC questions incorrectly then you would get easier RC's and CR's.

I had enough of a break till now, but, haven't got into the habit of studying regularly. I'll try to push myself.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts