Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Trahul4
I am a mechanical engineer and post graduate in industrial engineering. I have 8.5 years experience in IT and of that 6 years is international(US and Europe).

I have good acad. 84% in BE and 80% in post graduation. I was topper in bachelor so i guess this will help to a extent.

Dreamt of big league schools but with 640, it seems very difficult.

I did some research to find schools with 80% GMAT range touching 640 and saw that Yale, LBS and Oxford does figure in that list. However, I am part of this Indian IT pool so I am not sure if this 640 applies to me.
If I can get into any of these then I will happily take it.........

Do I stand a fair chance for any of these big league schools.....

any suggestions ??

I saw on this forum that several people got 700+ scope on 3rd or 4th attempt as well so I am still not sure if I should go for 3rd attempt........
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi N750,

For starters, taking it again is a good idea IF and only IF you are confident that you can gain 50 points or so .. (to take you to 690 and above). So I think that you shouldn't rush into the GMAT again without adequate preparation.

Having said that, your GMAT results are actually very easy to analyse. You Quant is sensational (having cracked 50 once). You just need to fine tune you verbals. How did you prepare for Verbal the second time ? Did you use GMatter ? Did you take the gmatprep tests before giving the GMAT to get an idea of what your score will be ?

Do some serious work at the forums here on the verbal and I feel that you can get your dream GMAT score.

good luck.

N750 wrote:
Trahul4
I am a mechanical engineer and post graduate in industrial engineering. I have 8.5 years experience in IT and of that 6 years is international(US and Europe).

I have good acad. 84% in BE and 80% in post graduation. I was topper in bachelor so i guess this will help to a extent.

Dreamt of big league schools but with 640, it seems very difficult.

I did some research to find schools with 80% GMAT range touching 640 and saw that Yale, LBS and Oxford does figure in that list. However, I am part of this Indian IT pool so I am not sure if this 640 applies to me.
If I can get into any of these then I will happily take it.........

Do I stand a fair chance for any of these big league schools.....

any suggestions ??

I saw on this forum that several people got 700+ scope on 3rd or 4th attempt as well so I am still not sure if I should go for 3rd attempt........
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
For the second time, I bought additional books - Kaplan 800, Kaplan premier and about 20 days before the exam I got MGMAT SC book as well.
I think I should have picked MGMAT SC book earlier but I was not aware that this is best of the lot. I came to know about this book here in the forum. But I studied this book well and did MGMAT CAT as well.

I did not practice with Gmatter as I was not aware of its existence but now I have got a hold of it and will check it out.

Actually 2 days before the exam, I did give Gmatprep and I scored 740 there( there were couple of repeats there so it was not a true score) but still I was hoping that I will touch 700 in the real exam.

I have below books -
PRC cracking the GMAT, Kaplan Verbal, 800 and premier
MGMAT SC
OG 11 and OG Verbal.

Am I missing any important piece ?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Are you able to assess what is your real weakness in Verbal ? Whether its RC, CR or SC ?

N750 wrote:
For the second time, I bought additional books - Kaplan 800, Kaplan premier and about 20 days before the exam I got MGMAT SC book as well.
I think I should have picked MGMAT SC book earlier but I was not aware that this is best of the lot. I came to know about this book here in the forum. But I studied this book well and did MGMAT CAT as well.

I did not practice with Gmatter as I was not aware of its existence but now I have got a hold of it and will check it out.

Actually 2 days before the exam, I did give Gmatprep and I scored 740 there( there were couple of repeats there so it was not a true score) but still I was hoping that I will touch 700 in the real exam.

I have below books -
PRC cracking the GMAT, Kaplan Verbal, 800 and premier
MGMAT SC
OG 11 and OG Verbal.

Am I missing any important piece ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
N750,

Your profile looks good but i think you need to ask Paul in ask accepted forum to get a clear idea. Personally i wouldn't take the GMAT for the 3rd time and instead concentrate on second tier schools. But yes its again my personal opinion. Good luck and keep us updated on what decision you take.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Trahul4.

My RC is weak and SC is also bit of trouble because I am not able to finish that in time. So invariablly I am forced to guess to on last 5-6 questions.....I think If I got 4 of them wrong then it can easily sink my score by atleat 4-5 points.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
To improve these aspects of Verbal, try using the Gmatter software. https://www.gmatter.biz.

Good luck.
N750 wrote:
Thanks Trahul4.

My RC is weak and SC is also bit of trouble because I am not able to finish that in time. So invariablly I am forced to guess to on last 5-6 questions.....I think If I got 4 of them wrong then it can easily sink my score by atleat 4-5 points.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
[#permalink]
640 is an awsome score dude..

here are a couple of examples...AMTVAL an avid gmatclubber like you got into Tuck with a 640, my cousin got into Kellog with a 640...lots and lots of people with a 640 have gotten to big league schools..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
fresinha12 wrote:
640 is an awsome score dude..

here are a couple of examples...AMTVAL an avid gmatclubber like you got into Tuck with a 640, my cousin got into Kellog with a 640...lots and lots of people with a 640 have gotten to big league schools..

good to know this :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well you can always give it again. Its quite easy to add another 60-70 points to your score.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Schools don't really look down on people taking the test 3 or 4 times. Its once you get beyond 4 that some schools really care. I know someone who got into LBS, Duke, and Ross after taking the test 6 times.

You don't need to bring your score up to 720+ to justify taking it again like someone suggested. If you think you can bring it up 40-50 points it definitely will help your odds, the close you get to the schools average GMAT the better your chances. Since you are so far out of college adcoms are going to look at your GMAT as an indicator of your current academic abilities.

Not to say you can't get in to a top school with a 640 but it is immensely more difficult. The GMAT is one thing you can control to a certain degree and you may be much better served to study hard and retake the test one more time and then apply R2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
this might seem like a dumb question coming from someone who has been preparing for GMAT for last 4-5 weeks, but what is GMATTER? :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Riverripper. I am planning to retake exam on 25th Sept.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
N750 wrote:
Thanks Riverripper. I am planning to retake exam on 25th Sept.

Goodluck N750!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Its a software that simulates the verbal part of GMAT on the screen.

It comes default with a very large bank of questions. Download it from https://www.gmatter.biz

empty_spaces wrote:
this might seem like a dumb question coming from someone who has been preparing for GMAT for last 4-5 weeks, but what is GMATTER? :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Trahul4
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts