Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Discouraged by First GMAT Attempt...Could Use Some Advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Rim wrote:
Hey there! :-D

So I just took my first official GMAT and got a 610 overall with a score of 41 in verbal and 32 in quant. Yeah. You already see my problem. So I studied for about 3 months (June to September), albeit while working 2 part time jobs and driving 2+ hours every work day during the summer, and then while working 1 job and going to school full time (I'm an undergrad senior) during august/september. Needless to say I was spread a little thin. I started off going through the MGMAT quant books and doing the OG practice problem sets (easy and medium, could not do the hard), and then I just did a ton of practice OG problems. I doubt it was the most efficient way, but I've always been a self-studier so I kind of winged it.

To make a long story short, I'm not going to apply to any graduate schools this cycle. Once I graduate with my degree in May of 2016, I'm probably going to take 3 months off and try again to kick ass on this thing. What really disappointed me about my quant score was, even though I'm not naturally a math guy, my last three practice CATs were a 38, 39, and 38 in quant. Not great, but not awful either. I honestly have no idea what happened on the official test because a 32 is pretty bad. I felt fairly confident after completing the quant section that I'd be around where I was practice scoring. Obviously this was far from the case even though I took those practice CATs under official conditions (timed, doing the essay and IR, 8 minute breaks, etc).

I need something that is going to comprehensively build GMAT math from the ground up for me. Not necessarily TWO PLUS TWO EQUALS FOUR level math but you get the point. I may or may not be that guy who scores 45+ in quant, but with the right material and plan I believe I definitely have the potential for 40-44. I'd also love to bump up my verbal maybe a point or 2 more because I pretty much just wing that section. It comes naturally to me but with some focused strategy and preparation I think I could do even better. Again though, quant is the biggie.

If you've read this entire post, thank you. To whoever decides to answer...should I take an in-person class like Veritas Prep or Manhattan? Again, I've always been a self-studier (homeschooled in high school and 4.0 GPA in college), so maybe something like Magoosh? I just need the best comprehensive GMAT math course/study guide plan/whateverthehellwillhelpmenotsuckonquantagain! Thanks!

Here are my thoughts on your plan:

If you plan to go through the admission process in 2016 and join the school in 2017, then you need to reconsider your plan. Don't keep GMAT studying for the months of June-July-Aug. Round 1 starts in Sep/Oct and if you take the test around this time next year, the app deadlines will be just around the corner. That brings in additional nervousness and desperation to do well in the test - not a good place to be in.

Instead, I would suggest you to push back your second job for three months (if feasible) and utilise that time to work on GMAT right now. Take the test in Jan 2016. In that case, you wouldn't be under time pressure. Thereafter, you can join the job and eventually, start working on your apps in the months of July/August.

If you plan to work for two or more years before starting school, then obviously your current plan of working on it in June/July makes complete sense.

As for the course you should take, let me suggest you an option that will be perfect for you (considering your needs, your study style and your constraints of school work and 2 jobs) - the On-Demand Course.
This is what it is:
Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand includes unlimited access to your own online account for 12 months. Follow a 30-, 60-, or 90-day study plan tailored to your ability level. Created by Veritas Prep Vice President of Academics Brian Galvin, the program includes 12 interactive lessons that use scientifically designed educational techniques and interactive question modules to track how you’re doing while you watch each lesson. The lessons are complemented with a detailed study plan, personalized progress guides, live homework help, and realistic GMAT practice tests.

What’s included:

12 lessons in High Definition video
24 hours of actual video play time
Interactive question modules measure your progress
Viewable on your computer (PC or Mac), iPad, and iPhone
12 lesson booklets
12 computer-adaptive practice tests
Online student account with study plan
Live instructor help seven days a week
3,000 GMAT practice problems and solutions
Get all of the above for 12 months

You can actually try it out for 7 days for free: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/gmat-on ... ree-trial/
(Ensure that you have enough time on your hands in those 7 days to check out all the available resources)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Discouraged by First GMAT Attempt...Could Use Some Advice [#permalink]