Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Does anybody else have problems rushing through verbal?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Does anybody else have problems rushing through verbal? [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 22:32
So I just took the GMAT, did well on quantitative, but totally got killed on verbal. BTW I did finish the verbal section on time.

One thing I have noticed is that I seem to rush through the whole verbal section. I seem to be rushing through the SCs and CRs and answer them quickly on the first pass of the answer choices. But I do not seem to be getting them right. So what I think I am doing is that because I am slow on verbal, I end up rushing through the problems and decreasing my accuracy.

When I do question sets at home, I can get 70% - 80% correct in a timed environment. I am a slightly over the target time though.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to what I should do? How can I reduce my time on each question?

Any suggestions are welcome
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Does anybody else have problems rushing through verbal? [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 02:08
Hi dieverbal, welcome to gmat club!

It will be great, if you share that what materials did you use for your gmat study. Also, kindly let us know that how many CATs did you take before real test? What was your weak area in verbal in those CATs?

Normally the key to verbal success is a lot of practice. Separate strategies for each verbal section is also there. I think upon getting the answers from you, we will be in a better position to guide you.

Keep us posted.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2159

Kudos [?]: 7595 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Does anybody else have problems rushing through verbal? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 14:47
Expert's post
See this one too: timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Does anybody else have problems rushing through verbal? [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 15:54
Expert's post
After you are comfortable with the concepts involved, time yourself while practicing questions. Every session, try to shave a few seconds off each question. For instance, maybe start with two minutes per question. Next time, reduce this by 10 seconds. Next, knock it down to 1:45, and so forth. If you don't answer the question in time, mark it as incorrect whenever you finish and redo it later. Use the GMAT timer, since you will have to sit in a chair and use a computer desk to incorporate it in your question practice. This is good practice in itself, as you will take the real GMAT in similar conditions.

As Hussain15 stated, you will improve over time as you continue to practice with the OG with a timer and an Error Log.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SigEp
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Re: Does anybody else have problems rushing through verbal? [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 16:02
I initially had this problem as well, after going through the MGMAT SC guide it gave me much more to think about then I thought was initially needed. My scores are improving and my verbal timing is right on target (SC averages between 60-90 seconds)

Try looking at your missed questions and understanding the fundamentals that you're looking over at first glance, that's what worked for me.
Re: Does anybody else have problems rushing through verbal?   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2010, 16:02