Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GRE 1: Q159 V159
GPA: 3.6
WE:Military Officer (Telecommunications)
Send PM
MBA Prep School President & Co-Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GRE 1: Q159 V159
GPA: 3.6
WE:Military Officer (Telecommunications)
Send PM
MBA Prep School President & Co-Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Does business school rank affect starting salary? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Tim -- I'll directly answer your question but then also comment on other factors related to your specific profile that you might want to consider.

In the scenario you outlined, where the candidates from both schools were qualified and likely to succeed in the role, then generally the salaries won't be significantly different just because one candidate went to a "Top 5" school. The competitive difference is in normally the act of getting hired in the first place. If the company wants *you* over the other candidate, then in many cases it won't make much difference where you went to school (esp. for IT consultancy or project management type roles).

However I qualify my answer with the reality that the answer varies by industry and from hiring company to hiring company. In industries where competition for candidates is fierce and the potential hiring company isn't as likely to "win" a Top 5 school candidate, then "yes" they might decide to offer that candidate a higher salary to try and win them over. I've seen this happen where companies feel like they're hiring against companies far more desirable than they are.

Now onto my unsolicited comments about your background/profile. The Top 5 schools are attracted to military profiles in general, and officer profiles especially, because of the "real world" leadership challenges you've already faced and leadership skills you've developed. Also your background brings a very different set of life experiences and "voice" into the classroom, which many of the top schools are looking for.

So I'd suggest you want to think long and hard about what you really want to do with your life and career and if/how an MBA can help you get there. Part of the "secret" to getting into a top school is having a clear sense of your career goals, a deep understanding of what knowledge/skill/experience gaps you're trying to close (by attending school), and how that specific school is best positioned to help you succeed.

Please PM me if you'd like to explore this privately in a one-on-one conversation -- more here to discuss than I can effectively convey in a discussion board response.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Cheers, Chris
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Does business school rank affect starting salary? [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts