Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.87
WE:Human Resources (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: CBS (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.41
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Doing F500 training program then leaving for B-school? [#permalink]
Only catch is that how exclusive and special that one-year long training program is. If it's anything like that of BMW Group, which sends trainees worldwide and they become managers/executives after training, it's whole different story and I'd guess it will look fairly bad if you leave right after the completion of program. Also, such program may have some kinds of contract term and it's employee's risk to break the contract.

I honestly think that the program you are considering will not be such high level training to affect your decision, though. So, don't worry too much now. Denying such offer because you are worried about 'it may look bad 2-3 years later' is just a bad decision.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
Send PM
My answer is based on my own experience and what I've seen other people do, so take away from it what you will.

I graduated from a Rotational Program (which includes getting a Technical Masters Degree) at a F500 company and I'm planning to leave this summer for one of the programs I've been accepted to. People at my company have done this before and have not faced any repercussions. The only stipulation in our contract is that we have to work at this company for X number of years after we complete our Masters degree. Once that period is over, we don't owe the company anything.

Whatever you decide to do just make sure you do so professionally and respectfully. No one will look down upon you if your making a career move as long as your courteous about it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Okay, I guess I'll have to decide once I learn more. To give more information, it's sort of a buying trainee program for a large retailer. It's 18 months of working in stores then rotating around the offices. After it's over, you often become an assistant buyer. I guess it's not mega prestigious, but it's definitely well-known, especially within the company. It sounds like leaving (If I were to get in) would not be super unwise.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
Send PM
Hearing the added information makes me believe that you will be ok. Just make sure that you're aware of any obligations that come with the contract.

Also, I'm pretty sure B-Schools like programs such as the one you've mentioned because they are competitive and you get leadership experience during them :-D

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I agree with AjMBA. With more details provided, it seems like you should be fine.

Further, it sounds like you can even take an advantage from the situation. Probably after 3-4 years (that is 1-2 years after completion of the training program) when you apply to MBA, you can negotiate if the company wants to sponsor your study along with the guaranteed re-hiring after MBA. Maybe they will offer you the option even before you start to negotiate. You never know.
GMAT Club Bot