Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [8]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [58]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [18]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [15]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I feel like I should really jump here in to support much of what rhyme has said. My background: 3rd-year strategy consultant.

Hours
Consultants in my office average 55-60 hours per week (including travel, but excluding breaks). We track these numbers and post them in our breakroom. Since I'm a nerd, I keep track of my hours and can tell you that over the past 2 1/2 years I have averaged 57 hours, with a range of 40-93 hours in a week.

Another note on fixed price vs. T&E contracts. Most of my firm's engagements are fixed, so I don't know how T&E feels. But consider this: if the project is T&E, then the firm is probably going to want you to work as many hours as possible - it's charged to the client and drives revenue, after all. So I'm not sure that fixed is any worse than T&E.

Social Life
I think many firms attempt to support some kind of work/life balance. At the end of the day, our people are our product and we try to keep attrition low. Part of that requires allowing people to have sustainable family and social lives. I will note, however, that the first-year consultants (post-undergrad and post-MBA) don't have the best social lives as they're trying to "prove themselves."

In general, weekends are dedicated family time. However, if you are working from your home office (which likely means you are on a pure strategy case) then nights after ~7-8PM are up for grabs too. Typically, I will work until 6 or 7 and then go home, cook dinner with my roommate, and then work for a couple hours after dinner. I should also note that, over the past month, I have gone to a concert and two hockey games during the week - and they were all company tickets.

One last note: some of my co-workers have terrible social lives and they also have terrible hours. They're not any less competent, nor do they have the worst projects. The common thread among all of them is that they fail to set boundaries and they allow their partners/managers to stomp all over them.

Travel
Some firms make you travel 4-5 days a week. Right now, I am traveling 3-4 days a week (fly out Monday morning, return Thursday evening). Fridays are pretty much mandatory "home office" days and everybody is expected to be participating in various office activities and responsibilities.

Again, my strategy work kept me seated in my home office almost 5 days a week. In fact, only 2 of my 7 projects have been weekly travel projects. I would travel ~once a month to make presentations to the client, but that's pretty sustainable. Most client interaction would occur over teleconferences. And this makes perfect sense. If you are trying to improve your client's profitability, then why would you add to their cost burden by charging expensive airfare, hotel, rental car and meals if you didn't really need to? On that note, I never charge business or first class to my client, and I always reserve the cheapest rooms at our preferred hotels (Hyatt/Hilton/Starwood). I'd like to think that my co-workers and I aren't that high maintenance.

Sleep
I get ~6 hours/night during the week, but not because I'm working late. It's because I surf the internet and post messages on forums like this one. :wink:

Seriously, I think consulting is just like college in that there are definite "spike" periods. At the beginning of a case, right before major presentations, and at the end, hours go up. All other times are more sustainable. Just like college with midterms and finals.

Quality of the Projects
Can't say much here since it varies so much, but I will say that you need to take charge of your career and position yourself to get on the projects that are best for you. Although my firm uses the "jack of all trades" approach, I can say that I have specialized exclusively in the Aerospace & Defense and Technology industries. Why? Because I'm really interested in these industries, and if I'm really interested in them then I'm going to perform better and pull in a higher bonus. Again, it's just like college: choose a major that you're interested in, because then you'll get better grades and get a better job.

Exit Opportunities
McKinsey gets the best, I think. Most of the consultants who leave my firm tend to go to former clients (and that's not a bad thing at all - they're great clients). We also get contacted fairly frequently by headhunters. I've had a couple opportunities come my way that pay better than my firm. I've stuck around because I love my company.

Side Note on Internal Consultants
Some companies have their own internal consultants, most often affiliated with their strategy department. These consultants go out, assess business units, and develop recommendations to improve profitability. These consultants are good because they understand their business better. These consultants are not as good because they don't have the experience of the consulting firms. But if you would like more stability (including likely better hours and less travel), then I would consider a career as an internal consultant.

Moral of the Story
Not all consulting firms are alike, and consulting does not equal McKinsey & Company. Many of the stories that you hear are from McKinsey, but that's not the only option. Other firms like Monitor, Bain and BCG, and the list goes on, are wonderful options. These are successful firms that make their money by differentiating themselves from McKinsey. It's the first rule of strategy. And they succeed. Picking the consulting firm that's best for you is like picking a business school: find the place that's the best fit for you, and don't be so damned set on HBS. I'm looking forward to recruiting the next generation of consultants from Kellogg!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [10]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Phokus wrote:
don't consulting firms have research/analyst positions as well? Do they suck less? Much less travel?

Well, depends on what were talking about I think... I've been on both client facing roles and support roles at consulting firms. It's a lot like banking in that everyone know who is bringing in revenue and who is a cost. If you are not a billable resource and are part of "operations" - internal staff - you are a cost center, not a profit center and you are treated accordingly. This means you often get pooped on. By everyone. Goldman Sachs, for a while even went so far as to list their divisions on pamphlets not in alphabetical order but in order of revenue from the previous quarter. Every quarter they would toss out the brochures and have them reprinted. No idea if they still do this - but consulting definetly had a similar mentality when it came to "consultants" vs "back office support" role... So if were talking one of those roles, just expect no respect.

If were talking an analyst role that is somehow not client facing.... well, they exist, but they are often few and far between as far as I've seen.

Take this next part with a grain of salt - cause its just my experience...

They can change in a second. Don't think for a minute that if there is enough client demand they wont ask that internal analyst who isn't technically supposed to travel to get on the next plane to Atlanta. They will. And you wont say no because it means your job. The other problem with these jobs is that you develop less bonds or friends and receive, typically, less recognition.

The reason is simple really. You are in the office, everyone else isn't. Including the partners, the managers, the directors, everyone who, at the end of the day, matters. You don't really get to know them well, and they dont really get to know you well. Maybe you see some of them on Fridays, but if you arent on their project, why would they stop to talk to you? Odds are, they won't.

What will happen is that 7pm call from a partner to your manager saying he needs something turned around. You'll get dropped on your plate at 7.10pm, spend fifteen minutes talking to some other associate at the client site about it, then crank out whatever they asked you to do for the next several hours. The associate at the client site will get the piece of work, he'll incorporate it into his deck, give it to the partner, and your work will be unrecognizable from that of the other associate. If its good work you did , then you'll probably get very little recognition for it - not from the associate and not from the partner. If hte work you did isn't so good, the associate who has to hand this to a partner will make sure to blame you.

In fact, more often than not, the work that these internal folk do is crap quality. It's not that the are dumb, they are not, but they just lack the necessary contextual knowledge to a good job most of the time. Imagine that you work for Pepsi, and suddenly someone from Clorox Bleach calls you up and asks for projections for next years figures. You might know HOW to make projections, but you aren't going to a have a CLUE what might be a reasonable figure for Clorox Bleach. Nor will you have anyone at Clorox to call..... its kind of like that... You become a body, a resource to be leaned on, and an easy person to blame if things go badly and to ignore if they go well.

I actually tried to get one of these roles because of the no-travel (or at least, reduced odds of travel), but in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't. Most of the guys I know that ended up doing that kind of stuff were worked just as hard as the consultants, cept they didn't travel. And that meant something else ****: Consultants might travel and work a lot of hours, but at least they get their 1K status or Global Elite, or whatever, they get their comped dinners and steaks, they get their cab rides home after a late night at work, they get an expense account.

A non billable internal analyst will have to get permission to order in chinese. They'll have to ask if htey can take a cab home instead of public transport. They wont have any mileage points, hertz points, or status on any airline. Their friends will invite them to go to Hawaii, and their friends will go for $412.93 in food and taxes, while they are forced to consider a $3800 bill for the same trip.

So are the jobs better? Maybe. You do avoid travel. Your hours can be irregular - but if no partner calls with some last minute bullshit, you are done at 6pm. Theres no client to impress by sitting at work till 10pm "just because".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [7]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
kripalkavi wrote:
1. Does age play an important role when M/C companies recruit on campus? Would a 30 year old MBA be offered a role as say, a Manager/Partner and a 26 year old MBA be offered a role as a BA/Associate ?

All MBA graduates enter at the same level (Associate). Age is not an issue, although older candidates may look better because of more work experience.

kripalkavi wrote:
3. Most people say that consultants just restate the obvious using 'business jargon'. Is this true?

No, my colleagues and I provide high value-add deliverables that include actionable recommendations based on best practices. We also provide robust next steps to help our clients move the needle in a way that revolutionizes their business. The takeaway from all of this (at 30,000 feet, anyway) is that we develop a synergistic relationship with our clients that leverages their core competencies and our IP to deliver a compelling value proposition.

kripalkavi wrote:
Rhyme, don't get me wrong, but after going through your posts I couldn't help but get the feeling that M/Cs do a lot of..... well.....nothing.

You call that last paragraph of mine nothing?

kripalkavi wrote:
I was under the impression that M/C consultants help companies take decisions that involve huge changes to the organizations (eg. setting up shop in a new country, entering into a new line of business, taking measures to cut costs, etc).

Seriously, I have done all of the above with various Fortune 500 clients. I'm sure that Rhyme's done some of that too, if not all of it. Honestly, I think this perception comes from the consultants who march into an organization and think, "You guys are so dumb...the answer's right there." We proceed to get frustrated when that obvious solution isn't implemented immediately. It's often because corporate culture is hard to change. Can you imagine changing the way your family talks, acts, thinks? Take that challenge and multiply by, oh, a thousand. And throw in the disownership of a few siblings (or a few thousand).

Consultants are the doctors of business (and sometimes, the psychiatrists). We are good at what we do. If we weren't, then companies wouldn't shell out millions of dollars for us. If you think the market is inefficient, or that Fortune 500 CEOs are dumb...then what's the point of a MBA, again? :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [5]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Oh and as for length of a project... it can vary tremendously. You might get staffed temporarily to a project for one month or two - maybe even two weeks in some cases where they just need a body. Other projects can drag out six, seven months easily. Many will last a year. Some last more than that - I know one girl staffed to Goldman for over two years.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [6]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
in house consultancies [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
first off, thanks a ton guys for information on mc..very useful perspectives.

saw some questions on in house consultancies, thought i could share some information.

My company has an inhouse consultancy division. This is quite a high profile position to get , and the team members are recruited directly from INSEAD, IMD , Harvard and Stanford. Typically, after doing 2 or 3 year stints in the consultancy division, they transition into very senior positions across the company across the globe. So, it is used as a talent pipeline. I have spoken with many of these guys, and this is what they have shared with me

a. Payscales are as competitive as regular management consultancies, plus theres the added benefit of fast track careers, and positions of real responsibility..eg : you could do a couple of years in an IMC then take on a country manager role ,running a half a billion dollar business.. within 2-3 years.
b. It gives you exposure to real problems, and unlike external mc, you cant just escape after a slick presentation. you and your reputation are made in the company and its a high risk reward situation. If you are able to convince the CXO levels that the solutions you offer are brilliant, you end up joining the CXOs pretty soon. But if you arent able to convince them, or if you step on some hidden political agenda, you could end up crashing and burning. if the solutions you adopted are half baked, and end up disintegrating in a few years, you will be still be around to be held accountable..

c. the type of work may be less varied, but you tend to get around the jack of all trades syndrome easier, by building depth and expertise in an industry, or few industries.

i am looking at doing an mba and coming back into this sort of internal consultancy division..it seems like a really good option.

PS : The travel thing really sucks. I do sales, and i am out 2 weeks a month..(we do travel business class though) but it kills your life..you dont have a steady passion you can pursue....the miles and hotel points are great though..i have parlayed them well into free vacations.. in fact..the honeymoon is going to be pretty much free as well !

pss : yes..nothing is more hated than a consultant who makes you pull out data for him.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [5]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
One more note from me, and this is an obvious but not-often-talked-about piece of advice.

If you want to be in a consulting firm after b-school, please take into account the offices that you are applying to. It matters - more than the consulting firms will tell you. Consider these facts:

- Supply and demand matters. If you want to work in New York, well so does everybody else. Put New York as your first choice and you are jumping into an excessively competitive pool.
- Diversity matters. Nobody wants their office to be full of people all from the same school. So if you're from Stanford and want to work in San Francisco, or Kellogg and want to work in Chicago, then you're placing yourself into an excessively large pool. On the other hand, if you're from Stanford and want to work in Chicago, or Kellogg and want to work in San Francisco, then you've just made your life that much easier.
- Fit matters. Want to work in Los Angeles? Sounds great...do you think you fit in with LA people at your b-school? Trying to prove to a consulting firm that you "fit" is difficult enough without also trying to adjust your personality to match a local office.

DO YOUR RESEARCH - put just as much effort (or more) into studying the culture of each consulting firm as you did when you applied to b-schools. Do not declare office preferences without thinking this strategic element through. If you're dying to be a consultant, but aren't tied down anywhere and know you're going to be traveling all the time, then play it as safe as you can. I hear Cleveland and Denver are nice.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [4]
Send PM
Re: Down On Consulting [#permalink]
Kudos
gmatclb wrote:
rhyme wrote:
stuff

Man, you make consulting sound great.

Are you being sarcastic? Cause I'm trying to make it sound balanced. If its sounding great, then I need to talk more about what sucks.

Quote:
One thing I can't give up is working out and sleep. 4-5 days a week, I need 1 hour to workout and 8 hours of sleep per night. Well, maybe not 8 hours, but 6 at a minimum 1-2 nights a week.

Is this possible?

Yea, six to eight is definetly possible. Six is probably more the norm. No real reason to think that isn't possible. The workout is possible too - a lot of consultants do it. You kind of have to because of all the chinese food and steak you'll eat. Imagine eating out 4 or 5 days a week.... you ingest a ton of calories if you aren't careful. It isn't easy to do, but people do it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [4]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
gmat_newb wrote:
rhyme, thanks for the incredibly insightful post.

I am considering MC after B-school. Can you comment on the exit opportunities for, say, an associate who's been an MC for 2-3 years. How often do people leave MC for a specific industry and do business development type of stuff there? Also, I heard that you get to "have your pick" if you hail from the likes of McK. Is that true?

I wish I could answer this well. The truth is, I'm not sure what things look like 2-3 years post Associate MC.... I know people who left, but all were in IT, and moved on to roles like Proj Mgr, Lead Architects, etc. One left and went into a PM role for Orbitz then for Us Cellular and then back to consulting. The rest of them stayed in consulting and just hopped around firms. It's important to keep in mind too that none of these people worked for companies as prestigious as McK, so who knows what the exit options from there might be. As for McK= having your pick - yes, thats what I've heard too. I really don't know how true it is. I suspect its partly true, and partly inflated.

I know thats not a good answer, but the truth is, I just dont know what the exit opportunities from a top tier mgmt consulting firm might look like.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [5]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos