Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dr. Schilling: Those who advocate replacing my country s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Dr. Schilling: Those who advocate replacing my country s [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 23:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

43% (01:00) correct 57% (03:17) wrong based on 21 sessions
Dr. Schilling: Those who advocate replacing my country’s private health insurance system with nationalized health insurance because of the rising costs of medical care fail to consider the high human costs that consumers pay in countries with nationalized insurance: access to high-technology medicine is restricted. Kidney transplants and open-heart surgery—familiar life-saving procedures—are rationed. People are denied their right to treatments they want and need.
Dr. Laforte: Your country’s reliance on private health insurance denies access even to basic, conventional medicine to the many people who cannot afford adequate health coverage. With nationalized insurance, rich and poor have equal access to life-saving medical procedures. And people’s right to decent medical treatment regardless of income is not violated.

Dr. Schilling’s and Dr. Laforte’s statements provide the most support for holding that they would disagree about the truth of which one of the following?

(A) People’s rights are violated less when they are denied an available medical treatment they need because they lack the means to pay for it than when they are denied such treatment on noneconomic grounds.
(B) Where health insurance is provided by private insurance companies, people who are wealthy generally receive better health care than do people who are unable to afford health insurance.
(C) In countries that rely primarily on private health insurance to pay for medical costs, most people who would benefit from a kidney transplant receive one.
(D) In countries with nationalized health insurance, no one who needs a familiar medical treatment in order to stay alive is denied that treatment.
(E) Anyone who wants a particular medical treatment has a right to receive that treatment.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 890 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Dr Schiling [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 00:05
gautrang wrote:
Dr. Schilling: Those who advocate replacing my country’s private health insurance system with nationalized health insurance because of the rising costs of medical care fail to consider the high human costs that consumers pay in countries with nationalized insurance: access to high-technology medicine is restricted. Kidney transplants and open-heart surgery—familiar life-saving procedures—are rationed. People are denied their right to treatments they want and need.
Dr. Laforte: Your country’s reliance on private health insurance denies access even to basic, conventional medicine to the many people who cannot afford adequate health coverage. With nationalized insurance, rich and poor have equal access to life-saving medical procedures. And people’s right to decent medical treatment regardless of income is not violated.

Dr. Schilling’s and Dr. Laforte’s statements provide the most support for holding that they would disagree about the truth of which one of the following?

The correct answer must be disagreed by both the doctors

(A) People’s rights are violated less when they are denied an available medical treatment they need because they lack the means to pay for it than when they are denied such treatment on noneconomic grounds.Correct !! Both disagree
(B) Where health insurance is provided by private insurance companies, people who are wealthy generally receive better health care than do people who are unable to afford health insurance. Dr. L agree with this.
(C) In countries that rely primarily on private health insurance to pay for medical costs, most people who would benefit from a kidney transplant receive one.Out of scope and quite extreme.
(D) In countries with nationalized health insurance, no one who needs a familiar medical treatment in order to stay alive is denied that treatment. Out of scope.
(E) Anyone who wants a particular medical treatment has a right to receive that treatment.Dr S denies this in context of nationalized insurance not on general grounds. Both of them could agree but it depends upon the type of insurance.

What is the source?

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

Re: Dr Schiling [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 01:30
i trapped in this marked E........:(

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Schiling [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 04:29
I couldn't deny E too. Can anyone explain little more on that?

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

CEO
CEO
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 890 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Dr Schiling [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 05:40
Dreamy wrote:
I couldn't deny E too. Can anyone explain little more on that?

Question:Dr. Schilling’s and Dr. Laforte’s statements provide the most support for holding that they would disagree about the truth of which one of the following?

(E) Anyone who wants a particular medical treatment has a right to receive that treatment.

1st bolded : Dr. Schilling disagree with E in context of nationalized insurance only. Since he is arguing that 'nationalized insurance' may cause '1st Bolded part', it implies that he may or may not agree with 'E' in context of 'private health insurance'

2nd bolded: Dr. Laforte actually agree with 'E' in context of nationalized insurance. He may or may not agree with 'E' in context of 'private health insurance'.

For the Answer to be 'E' , both should disagree with 'E' .

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Schiling [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 09:10
gurpreetsingh, good explanation.

I was initially trapped too, I guess it was the unusual wording of the question. However, figured out that the correct choice should disagree with both the docs.

A - correct

B - Dr. L says

C - Irrelevant

D - Irrelevant

E - Both agree in their own ways

All things are possible to those who believe.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Schiling [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 19:56
+1 D
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tepper, ISB, McCombs, Emory, Duke, NUS
WE 1: SAP consulting
WE 2: Business Development Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Dr Schiling [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 00:46
Why is C "out of scope" ? :?
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Dr Schiling [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 18:10
The answer is A.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Schiling [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 22:40
(A) People’s rights are violated less when they are denied an available medical treatment they need because they lack the means to pay for it than when they are denied such treatment on noneconomic grounds. Dr Schilling is saying that limited access to high tech medicine to people who can afford to pay is wrong. The limits to access for this segment is not because of lack of resources 9economic grounds) but because of ‘non-availability /restriction on access due to availability etc.’ – non economic grounds. And Schilling argues this is wrong- in accordance with what is stated in statement A- if enied on non-economic means- it is more of a violation.
Laforte says that people should never be denied access to a treatment because they are poor and cant afford it. Clearly this is against what is stated in statement A – that denying on economic grouns is less of a violation.
Clearly both doctors differ in their views on Statement A - one agrees while the other is against it, hence correct option.

(B) Where health insurance is provided by private insurance companies, people who are wealthy generally receive better health care than do people who are unable to afford health insurance. Both Schilling and Laforte know this is true – they differ not in agreeing to the truth of this statement, they differ in their attitude towards whether this is right or not.

(C) In countries that rely primarily on private health insurance to pay for medical costs, most people who would benefit from a kidney transplant receive one.No, both doctors are disagreeing to this. Laforte says that in pvt insurance, poor people who need a kidney treatment will not receive it because they cant afford to pay, while Schilling is saying that because of access being limited to high tech medicine including kidney transplant – there would be people who would not get it, whether rich or poor – no difference in views towards this statement – hence incorrect.

(D) In countries with nationalized health insurance, no one who needs a familiar medical treatment in order to stay alive is denied that treatment. Both the doctors agree that nationalized insurance wull provide access to basic, conventional medicine – not differing in their views on this. Hence incorrect option.
(E) Anyone who wants a particular medical treatment has a right to receive that treatment.Both the arguments are through different reasons disagreeing to this. By Dr Schilling’s argument poorer people would end up not having means to pay for the medical treatment and would end up getting denied the treatment, while by Lafote’s argument some people, whether poor or rich will get denoed the treatment under nationalized insurance because of access being restricted due to availability. Hence both disagree- and don’t differ in their attitude towards statement E
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Dr Schiling [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 23:39
E. Hence both disagree- and don’t differ in their attitude towards statement E

I think Dr. Schilling agrees but Dr. Laforte has no stance

Dr. Laforte: Your country’s reliance on private health insurance denies access even to basic, conventional medicine to the many people who cannot afford adequate health coverage. With nationalized insurance, rich and poor have equal access to life-saving medical procedures. And people’s right to decent medical treatment regardless of income is not violated. ---> he certanily did not qualify the rights of the people with this example.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Schiling [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 23:55
Yes, but if this is a conversation and Dr Schilling has already pointed out that even under nationalised insurance, because of restricted access to high tech medicine- there would be some people who would not be able to access this, and nothing in Laforte's argument refutes that- he is in implied agreement. Otherwise, he is saying that if anyone- say a rich person- wants a treatment he should be given it -but what when the treatment is not available-or restrcited in access due to non economic reasons? Isnt that person's right then violated?

I think the line between disagree and neutral is sort of thin here, but he certainly doesnt agree- and that is how we could eliminate this option.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Schiling [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 04:08
+1 to A. Its pretty convoluted but captures the info that both disagree.
Re: Dr Schiling   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2011, 04:08