Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dr. Sheila Porter plans to run an experiment using nursing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Dr. Sheila Porter plans to run an experiment using nursing [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 04:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (02:14) correct 31% (01:22) wrong based on 358 sessions
Dr. Sheila Porter plans to run an experiment using nursing students. Each student will be shown either a pleasant nature film or a disturbing horror film. Each student will be observed by someone who—looking only at the student’s facial expressions—must ascertain which film is being shown. Students shown the horror movie are told to hide their feelings in order to convince the observer that they are watching a pleasant film. Dr. Porter hypothesizes that all the students in the experiment who are convincing will be among the best at working with patients. The hypothesis will be tested by comparing the convincing students and unconvincing students in terms of their performance with patents.

Which one of the following incidents best illustrates Dr. Porter’s hypothesis?

(A) Niles, the most convincing student in the experiment, later went on to become a physician.
(B) After graduating, Yoshiro, a nursing student who was convincing in the experiment, helped care for Bram, a patient at a hospital. Bram recovered from his operation.
(C) After graduating, Kim, a nursing student in the experiment who watched the nature film, was removed from the staff of a hospital for unacceptable performance in patient care.
(D) Daria, a nursing student who was convincing in the experiment, later received “A’s” in those classes in which working with patients in a teaching hospital was the sole basis of her grades.
(E) Marite, a nursing student who was not convincing in the experiment, later quit nursing school.

Why is B wrong?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"CEO in making"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 10:06
A,B,D,E ...all support the hypothesis but D supports the most because "working with patients" was the sole basis of the grades
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 182 [2] , given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 12:05
This post received
KUDOS
D is the best. I agree
---
(2:25)

Hypothesis : all the students in the experiment who are convincing will be among the best at working with patients.
B) After graduating, Yoshiro, a nursing student who was convincing in the experiment, helped care for Bram, a patient at a hospital. Bram recovered from his operation.
Does not show the superior performance as mentioned by the hypothesis. There is no relative reference to which student is compared and hence is not the best illustration.

whereas
(D) Daria, a nursing student who was convincing in the experiment, later received “A’s” in those classes in which working with patients in a teaching hospital was the sole basis of her grades.
Shows that student is an out performer (grade "A's", comparison and superiority is shown as mentioned by hypothesis when working with patients)

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 17:05
i agree with D. If we can count getting A's as being among the best, then this point illustrates that those who were able to 'fake it' during the study did actual turn out to be very good in working with patients.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 09:36
thanks ..
OA:D .
sudeep wrote:
D is the best. I agree
---
(2:25)

Hypothesis : all the students in the experiment who are convincing will be among the best at working with patients.
B) After graduating, Yoshiro, a nursing student who was convincing in the experiment, helped care for Bram, a patient at a hospital. Bram recovered from his operation.
Does not show the superior performance as mentioned by the hypothesis. There is no relative reference to which student is compared and hence is not the best illustration.

whereas
Shows that student is an out performer (grade "A's", comparison and superiority is shown as mentioned by hypothesis when working with patients)

"CEO in making"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2009, 12:10
B does not shows any superior performance by the student..So I'll choose D...

Choose Life

Manager
Manager
Schools: IESE '13
WE 1: Engineer
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 19:29
B just says that Yoshiro worked with a patient, but did not establish whether he/she was good or bad. Answer D shows that Daria was convincing AND good at working with patients, thus supporting the arguments.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 21:36
I chose D bcos the passage is all about nursing the patients.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 22:09
Ans: D only statement support argument

MBA (Mind , Body and Attitude )

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 09:24
agree with (D).
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 02:27
B is wrong because though the patient treated by yoshuro recovered, It does not mean whether Yoshuro was good with other patients as well.

D is a more comprehensive answer

If you like my post, shower kudos :)

Believe that something extraordinary is possible

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 14:36
Dr. Sheila Porter plans to run an experiment using nursing students. Each student will be shown either a pleasant nature film or a disturbing horror film. Each student will be observed by someone who—looking only at the student’s facial expressions—must ascertain which film is being shown. Students shown the horror movie are told to hide their feelings in order to convince the observer that they are watching a pleasant film. Dr. Porter hypothesizes that all the students in the experiment who are convincing will be among the best at working with patients. The hypothesis will be tested by comparing the convincing students and unconvincing students in terms of their performance with patents.

Which one of the following incidents best illustrates Dr. Porter’s hypothesis?

(A) Niles, the most convincing student in the experiment, later went on to become a physician.--> [highlight]Supports but not convincingly as Dealing with patients in not stated directly[/highlight]
(B) After graduating, Yoshiro, a nursing student who was convincing in the experiment, helped care for Bram, a patient at a hospital. Bram recovered from his operation.--> [highlight]Supports but not convincingly as caring for BRAM cannot be treated as a generalization.[/highlight]
(C) After graduating, Kim, a nursing student in the experiment who watched the nature film, was removed from the staff of a hospital for unacceptable performance in patient care.-->[highlight]It talks about the nature film, which ofcourse was the more subtle to facial expressions.[/highlight]
(D) Daria, a nursing student who was convincing in the experiment, later received “A’s” in those classes in which working with patients in a teaching hospital was the sole basis of her grades.--> [highlight]BEST OPTION[/highlight]
(E) Marite, a nursing student who was not convincing in the experiment, later quit nursing school.-->[highlight] baseless[/highlight]
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 23:03
i will go with [size=150]D[/size] as it further strengthen the author hypothesis.

Biplab
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 02:05
One comes down to B and D.

I believe D is perfect because its more general and not specific to a single patient. Only one patient as in B cannot justify the group as a whole. So I went for D.

Yogesh Agarwal
yogeshagarwala@gmail.com

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 07:37
Fight between B and D. B is out because B doesn't clearly say about the nursing student performance with her patient. D makes up the gap.

Cheers,
SD

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 06:03
Its D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 06:58
It's D.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 05:16
simply D

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 20

Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 05:59
This came in as GMAT question of the day to me - I was confused between B and D initially, but i think D makes more sense (esp with words 'working with patients').

I love love love this question. Just wondering what is the source of it. It really tests your skills.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 06:43
Thin line between B and D.
D rules.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Re: Dr Sheila   [#permalink] 06 May 2011, 06:43