Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Cranfield SOM
 Q46  V40
Send PM
Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello Emoryhopeful

I was planning on submitting my application for the Fall 09 MBA intake. I currently work in IT consulting for 10 years and most of my experience has been with clients in the health insurance industry. After graduation I hope to join the health care industry in a management rotation program which will provide me exposure to all the functions within the organization. After the rotation I hope to move into a leadership position within product development - basically coming up with innovative ways to make health insurance affordable for the general population. To achieve this goal I would need to focus on general management and marketing while in school. Having said that:

1) How strong is the management and marketing concentration in comparison with other business schools?
2) What, in your opinion, is the greatest advantage of an MBA in Emory? Again this is in comparison with other schools.
3) How strong is the international recruiting at Emory? Is international recruiting generally people returning to their home countries?
4) How will the experience be for older students with a family? If accepted to Emory, I will be a couple of months short of 34 in Fall 2009.

Also, I couldn't find the contact infromation for the student leaders of the Goizueta Healthcare Management Association and had some specific questions on the Healthcare Club and the concentration in general. Is this something that you can help me with or forward to the appropriate person?

Thanks
SG
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Wow, a lot to cover on this one. Let me see what I can do. And I must answer this with a caveat, I only applied to Emory, so my opinion's of Emory vs. other schools are just an opinion, I've never visited another school.

1) General Management as a career concenctration isn't the biggest concentration at the school, but it is an MBA program and I feel the management and leadership courses at the school are comparable or better(leadership especially) than other comparable schools. Marketing, I feel, is a strong suit of the school. We have a great marketing faculty, with a large amount of placements in the marketing field post graduation. Of course, we have close ties to Coca-Cola, a premier company to work for in marketing, thus the school attracts high quality marketing students.

2.) Greatest advantages. Small class size that really lets you get involved in the community while affording you many opportunities to take on leadership positions and grow as a leader. An extremely high touch faculty that is very hands on in your success as a student, and really care about the success of the school. A big emphasis on teamwork, leadership, and communication skills that really can set us apart while on the job. Of course we have the quant classes that every MBA program needs, but I feel the soft skills we gain help make us successful.
3) International recruiting at Emory is quite strong. I must say, its been more difficult for internationals tryin to stay in the states due to the economy. Its especially hard for them to get sponsorships right now. Of course, some of the international students are looking to return home, but those looking to stay in the states are at least getting interviews. If you go to our website, you can see the placement statistics for the class of 2008. Only 8% were placed internationally, while over 30% of the class were international. That should give you an idea.
4.) I think the experience is what you make of it, older, family, single, married, whatever. Of course, you have more time limitations, but it can be done. I have a gentleman in my group the first semester who is 39, international, married with 2 children, and he was phenomenal, and I think he really enjoyed himself. There are many examples like this of people with families in their mid 30's. So, no worries there.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or need clarification. I hope I helpd. Also, I PM'ed you about the healthcare contacts.
scorpioguy wrote:
Hello Emoryhopeful

I was planning on submitting my application for the Fall 09 MBA intake. I currently work in IT consulting for 10 years and most of my experience has been with clients in the health insurance industry. After graduation I hope to join the health care industry in a management rotation program which will provide me exposure to all the functions within the organization. After the rotation I hope to move into a leadership position within product development - basically coming up with innovative ways to make health insurance affordable for the general population. To achieve this goal I would need to focus on general management and marketing while in school. Having said that:

1) How strong is the management and marketing concentration in comparison with other business schools?
2) What, in your opinion, is the greatest advantage of an MBA in Emory? Again this is in comparison with other schools.
3) How strong is the international recruiting at Emory? Is international recruiting generally people returning to their home countries?
4) How will the experience be for older students with a family? If accepted to Emory, I will be a couple of months short of 34 in Fall 2009.

Also, I couldn't find the contact infromation for the student leaders of the Goizueta Healthcare Management Association and had some specific questions on the Healthcare Club and the concentration in general. Is this something that you can help me with or forward to the appropriate person?

Thanks
SG
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Texas, Foster (washington) UNC
Send PM
I got dinged today :(

Congratulations to all with admits. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q46  V40
Send PM
Hello Emoryhopeful

Just wanted to let you know that I submitted my app on Jan 31st. I had a couple of questions and was hoping that you might know about the answers based on the knowledge of the school's processes:

1) My second recommendation was not submitted by Feb 1st. Does this mean that I am out of the running for the scholarship? I remember Julie Barefoot mentioning during the webcast of the super saturday on Jan 24 that as long as you submit the online app by Feb 1st you will be considered for scholarship even if all the supporting material does not get there in time. But according to the admission office it looks like all the docs need to be in by Feb 1st to be considered for the scholarship.

2) I had to call in on Jan 21 as I fell sick and could not make the trip for my interview on Jan 22. Due to work commitments I could not come to Emory before Feb 1st and hence did not get a chance to interview. Any idea how this might go about when they review your file. I did get a chance to talk to the same admissions office person a few days after I had called to cancel and she did note that I sounded better.

Again - sorry for the long post.

Thanks
SG.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
SG, I'm not 100% certain about all of the policies, but I think admissions usually requires all documents for the application to be in by Feb. 1st to be considered for scholarship. I think the only way you will be considered otherwise, is if there is leftover money in their budget for that year.

As far as your second point, I don't think that will hurt you because you notified them about your sickness and didn't just no show. If your application is good, they will invite you for an interview, so don't worry about that.

Best of luck.

scorpioguy wrote:
Hello Emoryhopeful

Just wanted to let you know that I submitted my app on Jan 31st. I had a couple of questions and was hoping that you might know about the answers based on the knowledge of the school's processes:

1) My second recommendation was not submitted by Feb 1st. Does this mean that I am out of the running for the scholarship? I remember Julie Barefoot mentioning during the webcast of the super saturday on Jan 24 that as long as you submit the online app by Feb 1st you will be considered for scholarship even if all the supporting material does not get there in time. But according to the admission office it looks like all the docs need to be in by Feb 1st to be considered for the scholarship.

2) I had to call in on Jan 21 as I fell sick and could not make the trip for my interview on Jan 22. Due to work commitments I could not come to Emory before Feb 1st and hence did not get a chance to interview. Any idea how this might go about when they review your file. I did get a chance to talk to the same admissions office person a few days after I had called to cancel and she did note that I sounded better.

Again - sorry for the long post.

Thanks
SG.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q46  V40
Send PM
Thanks Emoryhopeful. Hopefully everything ends up good.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia, Fordham, NYU, Emory, U of Rochester UCLA, USC, UCI
 Q44  V27 GMAT 2: 610  Q44  V30 GMAT 3: 550  Q45  V22
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
I have a question in regards to Goizueta's tie with Wall St, do a lot of companies in NY come and recruit from Emory for Wall St jobs? can anyone help me with this, I plan on doing investment banking/asset management or private equity after graduation. I'm currently a prospective waiting for my reply from admissions. Thank you!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3