Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 21:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Entry Level Currently (Only Way To Go Is UP!)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Florida Gulf Coast University, Florida Atlantic University
WE 1: Escrow accountant - title insurance industry
WE 2: Accounting assistant - CPA sole proprietorship
WE 3: Management technician - higher education
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Entry Level Currently (Only Way To Go Is UP!) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 23:56
Hello,

I just joined the forum, and it looks like a great place so far. It also seems that the majority of the forum is focused on (or students at) the top graduate B-schools that there are. It is very cool to read about all of your experiences, and seeing you share your knowledge with those who are thinking about getting their MBAs.

I do not know if there is anyone on the board like me however. I consider myself a relatively intelligent person. However I wasn't born into the greatest circumstances....and I've had many (many, many) setbacks both professionally and academically. I graduated in the top 5% of my high school class of 403, so I knew that I was going to college (in spite of having no money at all to do so). I opted for a private university far from home (not too smart) at first. However my family was really, super low income (I think my mother made $14K per year...back in 1997), and I opted to transfer to a larger public university closer to home. Even with that, I worked 3 jobs to stay afloat. My grades were mediocre and I didn't have a clue what I wanted in life. So I dropped out.

I worked some odd jobs until I got an opportunity to work in the real estate/insurance industry. Not only did I learn a lot, but I gained a lot of confidence in that I worked with attorney's, CPAs, MBAs, etc. Not on their level obviously...but to the point where they trusted and respected my opinion. Most were surprised to find out that I did not graduate from college. I was promoted pretty rapidly and went from making $25K as a legal assistant to $42K as an escrow accountant over the course of 3 years. I was not rolling in money, but I was able to support and take care of myself. I thought I was on a good trajectory :)

However I was on my way to work one day, and was involved in a very serious car accident. I was in the hospital for 5 weeks. My job was very gracious and kept me "on the books" until they made the determination for a long-term disability payout. From there, I collected unemployment...for over a year. :cry: Since doing nothing at all was driving me up the wall, I decided to go back to school...albeit online. However, after working with some amazing advisors, they worked me through getting a BA in liberal arts before the year was finished. I was pretty amazed. That and college was an entirely different experience for me this time around...being that I did not have to work. My dismal previous GPA was brought up significantly (GPA in my last 30 cr was 3.8!).

Although I had a liberal arts degree, I opted for a minor in business. Working for small businesses had exposed me to all of the different ins and outs of a company and the business curriculum covered most of these areas. So I opted to apply for MBA programs. However I also needed to deal with the prospect of going back to work. My unemployment was running out and I would need to do something for income. So I called a temp agency and started work part-time as an administrative assistant. Eventually, that led to the position I have now...which is called 'management technician'...but I am really an admin assistant.

My lackluster academics and GMAT score presented me with some limited choices in regards to MBA programs. I read and read reviews and rankings anywhere; however my final decision rested on the fact that it would be hard to do worse than what I am doing right now. Although I work full-time, my monthly take home pay just barely clears $1500. :!: Also I live on my own so what I make is all there is. Full-time MBA programs, for all that they offer in regards to opportunities and networking, still don't guarantee jobs. I had to think about the return on investment here. The MBA program I opted for will ultimately cost less than $20K, is AACSB accredited, and online.

If there are any other out there who are still on an entry-level work level, unemployed or lacking experience, it would be great to hear your stories as well. This also goes for those who are in online programs. :)

I will say that although my program is online and 'unranked'...the professors do assume that you are coming from professional experience. Luckily in my case I did have this experience in the past. Also I am the National President of a sorority so I can offer a lot of experience and antidotes there...with managing a multi-branch non-profit (no one needs to know that we are small...and that my position there is unpaid). My peers also are working professionals. So I would imagine that it would be very tough for those who have no work experience whatsoever.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: GA Tech
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Entry Level Currently (Only Way To Go Is UP!) [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 13:43
Hi MissShona,

Thank you for sharing your story. Although we don't share the same background/experiences, we are in the same position. I made some bad decisions after college which led me to where I am today. I was determined to move to Atlanta, GA and limited myself only to certain recruiters on campus. After 3.5 years of working, I still consider what I do entry-level.

But I am optimistic because as you stated, Only Way To Go is Up! I am currently pursuing my MBA at a decent school so hopefully it will work out as planned. You seem very determined so I hope it works out for you as well! I guess there is no point to my post, but I just wanted to say "Hi"! Goodluck!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Florida Gulf Coast University, Florida Atlantic University
WE 1: Escrow accountant - title insurance industry
WE 2: Accounting assistant - CPA sole proprietorship
WE 3: Management technician - higher education
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Entry Level Currently (Only Way To Go Is UP!) [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 13:58
ntatlmba wrote:
But I am optimistic because as you stated, Only Way To Go is Up! I am currently pursuing my MBA at a decent school so hopefully it will work out as planned. You seem very determined so I hope it works out for you as well! I guess there is no point to my post, but I just wanted to say "Hi"! Goodluck!

Neat; I actually looked into Georgia Tech's WebMBA program, but ultimately did not apply. Are you working full-time, doing the MBA part-time?
Intern
Intern
Schools: GA Tech
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Entry Level Currently (Only Way To Go Is UP!) [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 14:42
I am working full-time while doing my MBA Part-Time (Evening Program).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 49

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: Entry Level Currently (Only Way To Go Is UP!) [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 15:01
Great stories!

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

Re: Entry Level Currently (Only Way To Go Is UP!)   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2010, 15:01