Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Essay / Application Books? Which ones?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Essay / Application Books? Which ones? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2009, 06:47
I agree with the majority of gmatclubers who recommended Montauk and Bodine. Although I like both books, I've found Montauk slightly more usefull.

The third book I've bought alongside these two is "65 successfull Harvard Business School essays". I think it is a great book and everyone (not just HBS applicants, my example - I'm not) shoud have one.

The book, as its name implies, contains 65 essays that are divided into several categories based on HBS essay questions from recent years. Most essays are written to meet 500 word limit, so they are short, concise and simple, which busts the myth that one has to be Shakespeare in order to get into business school. Explanations that are provided at the beginning of each chapter are usualy 1-1.5 page long, but are so well written that I was amazed. In those explanations the author states what are necessary parts of a succesfull essay and what should be avoided. In addition, in the end of each essay is given a short explanation (usualy 1/3 or 1/2 of the page) in which author explaines why that essay was successful and how the candidate had included all necessary elements.

To conclude, very usefull book, to be honest, I've been using that book much more than the Bodines' one. My advice - buy all three books, you'll prefer one of them, but which one - depends on your style and your needs. But you can't miss with any of these books - they are all excellent.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Cornell Johnson School
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Essay / Application Books? Which ones? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2009, 06:55
Yes to Montauk, Bodine and 65 Harvard essays. No to "MBA game plan".

I also liked The Best Business Schools' Admissions Secrets by Chioma Isiadinso.
Re: Essay / Application Books? Which ones?   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2009, 06:55