Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Actually now there are many excellent MBA in Europe, in France, Switzerland, UK and Spain especially so I don't think there should be any problem betwen the different MBA.

However I would like to point out the fact that the MBA is more like a US degree even if it is normally international. the MBA degree is not as important in Europe as it is in the US.
In Europe our system is different, usually you have to study 4 or 5 years to get a Master's Degree, but then you can go on for one additional year (more like a specilisation in a specific field) and do what we call a Mastere or DESS and finally the MBA would come on top of all this which means for some people around 7 years of study if you go into a program directly after university !!! (which is not very common).

I think that doing a MBA in USA is the best possible way, however it doesn't mean the content will be better. Strategy for the future.

One important thing to be taken into account is the cost : MBA in USa is more expensive and it will certainly last 2 years whereas in Europe the cost is more affordable and the MBA will generally be done in 1 year.

Finally, in my mind, I think that it should be easier to be accepted in a US MBA after graduation, in Europe they tend to prefer older and experienced persons.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The FT and EIU agree that INSEAD, IE, IESE, and IMD are among the top five programs in Europe. They both place LBS and HEC among the top ten programs in Europe.

FT2005 Ranking Europe

London Business School
INSEAD
IESE
IMD
IE
Oxford
Rotterdam
ESADE
HEC Paris
Lancaster
Bocconi 11
Cambridge
Manchester
Imperial College
Warwick
Cranfield
City University
Bradford/NIMBAS
University College Dublin
Solvay
Durham
Edinburgh
Bath
Trinity College Dublin
ESCP-EAP

EIU 2004

IMD
IESE
Vlerick Leuven Gent
INSEAD
IE
Birmingham
Henley Management College
HEC Paris
Cranfield
Warwick
London Business School
Edinburgh
ESADE Business School
Oxford
Imperial College London
Bath
Aston Business School
Lancaster University
E.M. Lyon
NIMBAS
Manchester Business School
Newcastle upon Tyne
Cambridge
Sheffield
Strathclyde
Ashridge
ESSEC Business School
Durham
Glasgow
Nottingham
Leeds University
ESCP-EAP
Bocconi University - SDA Bocconi School of Management
Rotterdam School of Management
Solvay Business School
City University
Bradford School of Management
Nyenrode
International University of Monaco
Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris

BW 2004

IMD
INSEAD
ESADE
London Business
IESE
HEC Paris

Forbes 2003

INSEAD
IMD
Cambridge
Oxford
London Business School
Bocconi
IESE
Cranfield
Rotterdam
HEC Paris
Manchester
ESADE
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
What do you think of the ESSEC Business School in Paris? I have not seen much discussions about this school.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Actually ESSEC and HEC are both the best BS in France, in all rankings.
Usually ESSEC is first because it seems they regularly check and improve the contents of the different courses so I would rank them 1st.
However it seems in MBa ranking HEc is better, so not easy to see. If you are interested to work in France, they have quite the same status : best school :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Do you think students who attend ESSEC or HEC are only limited to working in france? Can they use that same degree working in other countries as well?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
For this it should be interesting to have the opinion of other members from this board. In my mind, I would definitely go to IMD, INSEAD or LBS. I think that HEC and ESSEC are not recognized enough in Europe to be valuable. Spanish B-schools, such as IE or IESE, are more known than HEC or ESSEC so if I had to choose I would prefer to go there. This my personal opinion of course.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Between ESSEC and HEC, I think it is fair to say that HEC is more widely known outside of France.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Agree with Hjort
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
HEC Paris V/s RSM, Rotterdam [#permalink]
Hi Antmavel and Hjort,

Between the 2 schools - Hec, Paris and RSM, Rotterdam, holland which would u rate as a better one in terms of global recognition, brand value and placements?

pls lemme know as its very urgent and imp for me.
i have also added a thread on my dilemma with the details.

thx a lot.

tc
ssg
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
It seems to me that, unless you are considering general management, or management related field, US schools are better for students. LBS is the only one that has an impressive Finance track, I could be wrong here. IMD and INSEAD both are one year programs, I can't imagine taking a serious finance path attending either or any one year program. Althought the idea of learning French and study there does seem very very attractive for me. What seems strange to me is that IESE rates very high in almost all publications, yet I've heard so little about the school. My co-worker of mine went to ESADE, he never even mentioned IESE to me.
My question is, what are the job placement rates among the schools, not just in Europe, but coming back to the US and find jobs?
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
[#permalink]
will there be a chance to gain entry in any of the UK schools
with a low GPA? i emailed most schools, out of probably 20 schools i mailed, only one said yes!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1539 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes you can if you compensate with good GMAT, good essays, good work exp and good extra curriculars. It doesn't have to be all 3 but I believe that for schools in the UK, a high GMAT will definitely help you a lot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm going to be heading to ESADE this fall for the 18-month program. If anyone else is in the same boat or has questions let me know and I'll try to answer, I've been researching B-schools for almost two years now. ESADE was the only place I chose to apply.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
MBA in Finance in Nottingham Uni is one of the best in Europe.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
mattyb,

I'm planning to apply for ESADE class 2008 at the beginning of next year. Would that be a good time to apply for it ? When did u apply for it ? How long did the whole process take ? What's your profile ?

I appreciate your help...

Fagundes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
European 1 year MBAs [#permalink]
Kudos
OK..

I am looking at doing a reasonably priced 1 year MBA from a well-known and respected business school that offers recruitment into Trading at an I-bank (or other investment firm). Basically, I am looking for prestige (brand name recognition) and a good cost-benefit ratio. I would like to work in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Switzerland, or Germany. Germany/Switzerland would be my ideal places (I currently live in Germany), followed by UK/Ireland and the Netherlands.

I have researched many schools over here in Europe, but I'm looking to bounce a couple names off of everyone to solicit your feedback/comments. My problem is that I do not know which schools the International/European I-banks prefer to recruit from within Europe, and specifcally along the Trading career track.

Here's my current list (in no order of preference):

1) City University: Cass
2) Imperical College London: Tanaka
3) Oxford
4) Warwick
5) Cranfield
6) Manchester
7) Cambridge
8) HHL Leipzig
9) WHU: Otto Beishem Koblenz
10) Mannheim
11) Rotterdam/Erasmus
12) TiasNimbas (Tilburg)
13) Nyenrode
14) University College Dublin: Smurfit
15) Trinity College Dublin
16) Insead
17) St. Gallen

If anyone would like to help me in narrowing this list down, I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

William
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi William.

I am surprised that in looking for a reasonably priced MBA you have 2 london schools at the top of your list. Your living expenses in London will be very high and if you are doing a full-time course that would count as part of your study expenses.

Regards,

Andrew.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   4   5