Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Expat in public accounting - Please review my profile.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 01-04-2014
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Expat in public accounting - Please review my profile. [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 07:10
Hello,

I will try to keep this short for you guys.

- USC Marshall undergrad with 3.6 GPA.
- Two study abroad programs while at USC. One in Europe and one in Asia. Total around 9 months abroad. Loved the experience working with business students from other countries.
- Haven't taken GMAT yet (assume 700-720 for now).
- 3 years of public accounting tax experience from large international firm (not big 4) - Senior Associate w/CPA
- 2 years of expat experience in India with the same firm assisting with the start-up of an outsourcing center for all U.S. compliance work. Responsibilities include training 150 Indian counterparts, supervision/review of work compliance work, ensuring high quality standards for deliverables between U.S and India, assisted with process improvements, change manager between U.S. and India, coordination with U.S. employees for client engagements, etc. Was selected for this opportunity based on work performance in the states. Worked closely with senior leadership to ensure the venture would be successful. Loved the experience of working with high-caliber and motivated U.S. employees (only a few were selected for this opportunity).
- Non-profit experience while in India. It's amazing how motivated you become to help the less fortunate once you are exposed to 3rd world poverty.

Reason for MBA: I want a career that is more focused on operations (I want to be exposed to cross-functional/cross-cultural teams and customers).

Goal: My short term goal (5+ years) is to get a finance or marketing position at a large consumer products multinational company (P&G/Johnson & Johnson) through a 2 year MBA leadership development program and then get promoted to manager in a cross-functional/cross-cultural role. Long term goal (10+ years) would be to stay at the company and rise through the ranks and hopefully be able to permanently relocate abroad and manage a division/subsidiary in a foreign country.

Target schools: Wharton, INSEAD, LBS
Safety: Please recommend. There are many schools, both in the U.S. and in the UK, which are appealing to me. I definitely would like international name recognition since I want to relocate abroad later in my career. It probably doesn't matter as much since I realize that by the time I get to the level where I am able to manage a foreign subsidiary on my own, my MBA will not matter nearly as much as my experience. However, I do want a program that will prepare me to become a global leader.

Thank you for your time.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 30

Re: Expat in public accounting - Please review my profile. [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 07:47
This post received
KUDOS
You really do have a great profile. MBA programs seem to love international experience. Lets examine the different aspects of your profile.

GMAT: A 700-720 score would make you a contender at any of the top programs.
GPA: Solid GPA from a good undergraduate program.
Work Experience: Good work experience, internationally recognizable brand, promotion to leadership role, and international experience.
Extra-curricular/Community service: Great job getting involved with a non-profit while in India. Keep it up, if nothing else, it is a really rewarding thing to do.

Basically you have a solid profile and are a contender at any school you choose. The essays are another piece of your application; make sure to really nail them.

I would also recommend that you look into Kellogg and Fuqua. I believe that both of those schools have a strong emphasis in management and good placement in leadership development programs.

Best of luck.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Re: Expat in public accounting - Please review my profile.   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2012, 07:47