Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
International Candidate. Not in marketing though.
Still in the midst of the process ( and still in the search of Universities). Applying in Finance: Rochester, Insead, Yale, Cornell,Austin.
BE-Engineering; Masters-Economics (both are from outside US)
GRE: q=a=800; v=780; toefl=287.
Dont know when the things will be over.Tell me any safer bet man, if u can.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
International Candidate too.

Applying for Finance at Wharton, HBS, Stern, Columbia, Yale, KELLOGG, Stanford, MIT, UCLA and DUKE.

GMAT - 740 (Q-50, V-40).
B.A Econmonics & Business (GPA 92/100)

1 Year as TA and 3 Years as RA.

The process is done - now the wait has begun...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The process seems simple enough , Good score in Standardized test, transcripts, LORs and SOP, Voila.....You are through.
BUT........
Some major problems....
1) People like me who have graduated almost 10 years, might not find it easy to get decent recos from Profs who hardly remember them!
2) Again I am in a place where I don't have access to the library, it is difficult to find research articles and consequently to have proper defined research interests. ssrn.com was useful but hardly comprehensive.
3) GOd only knows what exactly do these business profs look for in an SOP? did not find a good sample on the net.

Did you all face some these?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
promothesh wrote:
The process seems simple enough , Good score in Standardized test, transcripts, LORs and SOP, Voila.....You are through.
BUT........

Very true. Most schools have such low acceptance rates that it is extremely difficult to set any sort of a standard that will guarantee success. Good test scores, transcripts, LOR's, etc. might get you into the field of competitive applicants, but who knows what the point of differentiation will be in the end.

:?: Question for the group: I completed all of my applications a couple of weeks ago, but have only received confirmation that they are complete from three schools? Is this consistent with everyone’s experience?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
For Yale applicants: I just checked the online site and it lists my application status as incomplete. It states that they have not received my Test Scores although I had ETS send my GMAT scores over two months ago. Have any of you experienced similar problems?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have a much worse experience. I requested my GMAT scores to be reported to 8 schools in mid-November. After a couple of weeks, as my deadlines were tight, I checked score report history on-line status on the ETS web site. It had none, so I called them and asked whether they were sent. The ETS rep told me they couldn't locate my record. Out of desperation, I requested the scores to be sent again. When I received my credit card bill, I was double billed. I called, sent fax twice, etc. and their response is simply "Service has been performed, so we cannot cancel the billing". They say their "on-line report status" has a 3-4 weeks delay. (I wonder why they even have that kind of on-line history service in this internet time) There goes my $224. I'm still trying to fight against them but they aren't responding fairly... *sigh* Any advices?

[quote="soulutions"]For Yale applicants: I just checked the online site and it lists my application status as incomplete. It states that they have not received my Test Scores although I had ETS send my GMAT scores over two months ago. Have any of you experienced similar problems?[/quote]
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey all.
I'm international - but I did my undergrad in the US, in Math. Applying to Finance and Econ programs. GPA 4.0, GRE 800-780-5.5. I'm working as a full-time RA in Econs right now, so hopefully I'll get decent recs.

Anyone notice that the Berkeley deadline got extended to Jan 5th or thereabouts? This could be a good sign ... (I'm an optimist)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello,
I am an international student. A bit different situation - applying to the British universities: LBS, Manchester, Cranfield, City, King's (London) for PhD in Organizational Behavior/International Business.
I've got:
BA in Finance (Russia)
MBA in International business (Canada)
over a year of RA experience
GMAT 670

Former profs wrote recommendations; I got transcripts. Contacted professors at targeted universities to see if they have interest in me. 3 of 6 answered yes, 3 said no.

Now have a huge problem - find a research topic and after that write a research proposal on 4-5 pages. I have to know what I am going to research before I even apply!!! I have read some articles, got an idea, but I am not sure how far I should go, and what a PhD dissertation is exactly (to be able to write a proposal for that)!

So, I am still not ready... :roll:

Alex.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Procrastinator [#permalink]
jaypalm wrote:
I'm curious, Tunape, did you decide to go with GRE vs GMAT based on percentiles alone? Do you know if adcomms use some kind of conversion formula? I kind of get the impression that there may be a bias towards the GMAT with b-schools, even if they accept both. I'm looking at Tier II and III, so they may not be as picky.

I figured GRE's break up the sections between than the GMATs. percentiles do help. I've heard a few phd students who submitted only GRE or GMATs. I'm not sure if there is an official converter, but they all had top scores in their respective ways.

one friend got 300v/800q/800a and got into all top tier schools. they had to check that he could speak english. ;p
Intern
Intern
Send PM
berkeley [#permalink]
wakaba wrote:
Anyone notice that the Berkeley deadline got extended to Jan 5th or thereabouts? This could be a good sign ... (I'm an optimist)

I got rather annoyed with Berkeley since their deadline was quite early! I had to rush to get everything in, and caught several mistakes afterwards. of course, when I asked them if I could submit more information, they simply ignored the email. As un*x guys would say, "inc > /dev/null"
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
tunape-

Did you have any problems getting you application for Yale completed?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Procrastinator [#permalink]
tunape wrote:

I figured GRE's break up the sections between than the GMATs. percentiles do help. I've heard a few phd students who submitted only GRE or GMATs. I'm not sure if there is an official converter, but they all had top scores in their respective ways.

one friend got 300v/800q/800a and got into all top tier schools. they had to check that he could speak english. ;p

I vaguely remember some finance programs stating a preference for GRE over GMAT; MIT for one (I think). On the other hand, HBS prefers the GMAT. In any case, tons of people have told me that GRE/GMAT will not make a big difference to your application except to prevent it from being dumped early.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm getting jumpy ...
any news for anyone so far?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think that's the scene with every one around. The earliest I think when the results would be out is end of Feb. All the best!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
From the prospective of a PhD aspirant, what is the most important factor to consider when selecting a PhD program? Should you just pick the most prestigious institution you can get accepted to, or is it better to consider other qualitative factors like who you will be working with, where you will be living, etc...? Any thoughts from current PhD students or professors would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've got an on campus interview this Friday. I'll post additional details when I get back.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Did anybody here receive a conformation from MIT?

I filled an online application and all materials have apparently been received, but my status is "Your application is being processed". I submitted the application in early November, and the status hasn't changed since.

All I've received from MIT is an email stating that they are reviewing the applications as fast as they can and that they do not answer questions regarding application materials and/or status.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
roy1000-

That sounds pretty consistent with most of the schools I've applied to. They generally list submitted applications as "in academic review".

From what I understand, it is still very early to expect a response from most schools. We probably won't hear much until late Feb and early March.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4384 posts