Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Reading is highly subjective. Most books will tell you to read the topic sentence and skim the rest. I personally think that is a$$ backwards. But for others it works. For me, I need the details to help me understand the whole of the passage.

Princeton Review says that you should spend the majority of your time on the questions, since you don't get points for reading. To me, that's once again a$$ backwards thinking. If you spend the proper amount of time reading and fully understanding the passage, you'll be amazed at how quickly you can get through the questions rather than sifting through the passage for answers.

So again, it's subjective whether you should speed read, but there's nothing wrong with reading slowly and absorbing everything.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just started preparing for the GMAT and I am not timing myself, but I know I am a slow reader. I have browsed Amazon.com for some books about reading tecniques. The reviewers of some of the books claim to have doubled their speed of reading in just a few weeks. I mean ... I know some of it might be just advertising, but I think that maybe a book like that can help me, because I really need help in that department. And these books claim to help you speed up reading while keeping the same level of reading comprehension.
I am kind of new to this forum also, so how can I search for posts from a specific user?

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you browse through the forums, you'll notice that there is hardly any material on reading comp. It's because it is terribly difficult to teach it. Again it is highly subjective. I would suggest you try various methods and stick with what works for you.

I am also a slow reader and have always been terrible at reading comp questions. I improved by doing two things. 1) Reading Time magazine cover to cover. 2) I implementing my aforementioned technique of spending more time on reading and understanding and less time on the questions.

The result was a realistic increase in score. For the time being, read as much as you can. Start with interesting articles then move on to boring scholarly journals.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]