Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Financing Your MBA [#permalink]
THank you! That's good to know. I think waiting until the final fin aid information comes through is a good idea. I'll start calling lenders soon after that!

Also, why does having credit inquiries lower your credit score? That seems strange to me..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: CSR and Non-Profit Management
Schools:University of Michigan Erb Institute '12
 Q44  V45
Send PM
Kudos
isa wrote:
Also, why does having credit inquiries lower your credit score? That seems strange to me..

It is just a signal of instability in your life. Since there is a lag time in credit reporting, they have to use proxies for information instead of actual information. Looking for a lot of credit can be an indicator that you are about to take more than you can chew, since you could potentially get 5 or 10 huge loans in a matter of a few days without it showing up on your report for other creditors to see. They have to mitigate that risk by assuming that if you are looking for loans at five places, you could potentially take those loans as well. Thus your score goes down, albeit a small amount.

Someone who has more insight into this industry feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Current Student
Send PM
dharmabum wrote:
isa wrote:

It is just a signal of instability in your life. Since there is a lag time in credit reporting, they have to use proxies for information instead of actual information. Looking for a lot of credit can be an indicator that you are about to take more than you can chew, since you could potentially get 5 or 10 huge loans in a matter of a few days without it showing up on your report for other creditors to see. They have to mitigate that risk by assuming that if you are looking for loans at five places, you could potentially take those loans as well. Thus your score goes down, albeit a small amount.

Someone who has more insight into this industry feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Wow didn't realize that. Thanks for the insight!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Kudos
isa wrote:
THank you! That's good to know. I think waiting until the final fin aid information comes through is a good idea. I'll start calling lenders soon after that!

I found this....

Quote:
MyFico.com
Will my FICO score drop if I apply for new credit?
If it does, it probably won't drop much. If you apply for several credit cards within a short period of time, multiple inquiries will appear on your report. Looking for new credit can equate with higher risk, but most credit scores are not affected by multiple inquiries from auto, mortgage or student loan lenders within a short period of time. Typically, these are treated as a single inquiry and will have little impact on the credit score.

I remember reading about this when I was shopping for a mortgage. You could get as many inquiries as you'd like within a certain time period and they would all be treated as one.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
wow thanks refurb!!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
Thanks refurb! I didn't realize they looked at inquiries for some loans different than others.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
Thanks refurb! I didn't realize they looked at inquiries for some loans different than others.

I've read a couple things that said it won't affect your credit score if these inquiries eventually result in a loan.

So if you have 6 inquires, but you end up not taking a loan, your score might drop. Then again, others things I've read said this isn't true.

Either way, I don't think that will be an issue for any of us.

RF
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Kudos
https://www.finaid.org/loans/creditscores.phtml

This site seems to contradict the "multiple inquiries about private student loans won't hurt your FICO score" line of thinking.

finaid.org wrote:
How do Loan Applications affect Credit Scores?

Every loan application or "inquiry" has the potential to reduce your credit score. According to Fair Isaacs, the company that produces the FICO score used by most education lenders, one "inquiry" will generally result in a 5 point reduction in the FICO score. However, since people with six or more inquiries are eight times more likely to declare bankruptcy than people with no inquiries, it is best to keep the number of inquiries small. Also, if your credit history is short or involves very few accounts, an inquiry is likely to have a bigger impact.

On the other hand, the credit reporting agencies do account for "shopping around" behavior for auto loans and mortgages, but not for education loans. When you apply for a mortgage or auto loan, they ignore any current inquiries within the 30 day period prior to scoring and treat any past inquiries within a short period of time (e.g., 14 or 45 days, depending on the version of the FICO score) as a single inquiry. This compensates for the impact of shopping around. They do not say whether applying for different types of loans (e.g., credit card, mortgage, student loan) counts as separate inquiries even if they are within the shopping around window, but that is likely the case. So the best advice is to apply for all your mortgages and auto loans within a short time period (e.g., a week or two) and to not apply for too many loans.

Warning: Fair Isaacs says that while they conflate inquiries for auto loans and mortgages, they do not yet have enough historical credit data to do this for private student loans. This is partly because private student loans are relatively new and partly because lenders have not been distinguishing private student loans from other forms of unsecured credit. In the mid-1990s, total private student loan volume was about $1 billion, and few borrowers applied for more than one loan. So you still need to limit the total number of private student loan applications and to apply for the loans in a short time span. More than five inquiries is likely to reduce your credit score enough to have an impact on the interest rates and fees for subsequent applications. More than eight inquiries will definitely have an impact on the interest rates and fees. FinAid recommends limiting your private loan applications to one bank, one non-bank specialty lender and the nonprofit state loan agencies in your home state and the state where your college is located.
Current Student
Send PM
msday wrote:

This site seems to contradict the "multiple inquiries about private student loans won't hurt your FICO score" line of thinking.

The part you quote seems to be talking about private student loans specifically. Or am I misreading it?

RF
Current Student
Send PM
For all you guys looking at private student loans, I found this over at the bw forums.

Quote:
I think it's worth throwing a shout out for Discover student loans. They have rates starting at Prime minus .5, they have zero fees and they give a 2% graduation gift (in addition to the .25% credit for automatic debits). Add to that it took less than 5 mins to apply and the decision is instant, I'm really happy with the whole deal. They loan up to $60k per year.

To get the prime minus .5 you'll need to have good credit and you'll need a cosigner who has 800+ credit. That might be tough for some people but if you have a spouse or relative who doesn't mind jumping on there with you, it makes a big difference. Discover only pulls from Experian so that's the only bureau that matters. I had a 770 with Experian and was initially given Prime +3. I tried 3 different relatives until I got an 800+ cosigner at which point I got the Prime minus .5. They don't mind you "shopping" for cosigners. Each time I tried a new cosigner it took 3 minutes on the phone and the new decision was available two hours later. You can check it out at https://www.discoverstudentloans.com Hope that helps.

RF
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
refurb wrote:
msday wrote:

The part you quote seems to be talking about private student loans specifically. Or am I misreading it?

RF

You're reading it correctly. Isn't anything that is not a Stafford or GradPLUS loan considered to be a private student loan?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Attached is a quick spreadsheet I made to help me narrow down private loan options. I think all the numbers are correct, but not completely sure, as I spent ~10 minutes doing this. Use at your own risk!
Attachments

File comment: Private lender information
private_loans.pdf [4.54 KiB]
Downloaded 262 times

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
this is great info..

I think that Prime - 0.5% option seems best..
Current Student
Send PM
msday wrote:
refurb wrote:

RF

You're reading it correctly. Isn't anything that is not a Stafford or GradPLUS loan considered to be a private student loan?

Oh I see, I didn't know we were talking about private loans specifically.

They do credit checks for GradPlus loans, but I guess those don't affect your credit score?

RF
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
msday wrote:
Attached is a quick spreadsheet I made to help me narrow down private loan options. I think all the numbers are correct, but not completely sure, as I spent ~10 minutes doing this. Use at your own risk!

Only one problem with your spreadsheet is that your timeline only goes back 10 years. If rates went to 15% like they did in the late 70's/ early 80's you could be totally screwed. Just know that it could happen with the amount of liquidity the Fed has pumped into the system.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
FN wrote:
this is great info..

I think that Prime - 0.5% option seems best..

Yeah I agree, refurb's post that he found at BW shows that it can be a bit tough to get the Prime - 0.5% rate (your co-signer needs an 800+ FICO score?), but if you shop around for relatives (lol), you may be able to get there.

I guess I wonder how Discover can get away with such a low rate in comparison to other lenders...maybe because the repayment period is 15 years vs. 20 years? That may be a part of it, but not the complete picture. Any financial gurus willing to venture some educated guesses?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton, Haas, Anderson, Booth, Kellogg MMM, Stanford
 Q49  V46
Send PM
Kudos
What about hedging and applying for a mix of loans (GradPlus and private)? I thought about this, but haven't spent any time researching the implications yet. Are the private loans limited to the COA generally or is it just based on your credit inquiry? The idea would be to possibly loan greater than the COA (in both GradPlus and private) in case the interest rates on the private go through the roof. You could then pay off the private with GradPlus funds. Of course higher origination fees and interest payments will penalize you for this insurance, but it would add flexibility. I'm not to encouraged by the accessibility of detailed information out there, so if anyone has a link to good intel please share.

Damn, I wish I could escape b-school with my current undergrad rate of 1.75%!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  19