Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

first GMAT attempt 600. What's the best way forward?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

first GMAT attempt 600. What's the best way forward? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 05:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello GMAT experts,
I have just done my first GMAT attempt and got 600(Q38,V35).
I didn't do well on Math, as usually I get 42, and did much better in verbal 35 instead of 29-32. I didn't review previous topics in last weeks as all hell went loose at work 3 weeks before the exam and I had very limited time to review and prepare. Because of draconian cancellation policy, I decided to take the exam as oppose to cancel it for $80 refund.
Now, I see a strong progress on the verbal part. I went through all SC OG in details, reviewing each thoroughly in the last month before the exam. I will do the same for CR and reading before my next attempt.

I have the problem with math in that by the time I finish one area I forget some material from the previous chapters. I went through word problems about 2 months ago and was comfortable with it but by the time I got to the exam I lost some of my skills in the area. What is the best way to target any particular area without loosing previous skills?

I work full time and generally very tired by the evening, so the only productive time is early morning between 6:30-8:00. How should I schedule my revision and new learning in 1h30 min of daily study?

What I have learned from GMAT is that as soon as it spots a weakness in any particular area it will come back to the same area again and again. I am pretty sure that I can improve my quont significantly from here but what is the most efficient way to learn new without forgetting previous material?

Thank you
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 198

Kudos [?]: 280 [0], given: 5

Re: first GMAT attempt 600. What's the best way forward? [#permalink] New post 26 May 2012, 05:43
Expert's post
You are not alone. Many people find that when they go off to study areas of weakness they tend to improve on those areas but at the same time their performance drops in former areas of strength. For most students the solution is surprisingly easy - consistently practice random GMAT problems in "Timed Sets" so you measure/maintain your performance on all GMAT content areas.

If you plan on studying 1:30 each day, I would recommend you spend 2/3 of that time on focused work (ie your planned CR review) and 1/3 of the time completing Official Guide practice. Take 10-20 minutes to work through 5-10 problems. Spend the rest of the time reviewing your work heavily - both the questions you got wrong and those you got right. This type of practice will help keep you sharp in all areas and reveal areas of weakness. As you get closer to test day, you should probably shift to spend 2/3 of your time on timed sets/review. If you find yourself hurting for study time, try to sneak that 30 minutes into some other part of your day, maybe your lunch break.

-KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: first GMAT attempt 600. What's the best way forward?   [#permalink] 26 May 2012, 05:43