Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Re: First GMAT Test - Verbal -25 Quant -44 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jatin1230 wrote:
Thanx for your reply Karishma.

I have already taken classroom course an year before but at that time postponed the idea of giving the exam. I did all the material given by the classroom training company. I did not time my questions while practicing so i am thinking that it played critical part in my disaster score.

I am planning to self study and will get hold of some books such as LSAT superprep for CR and RC, SC Grail and Powerscore CR bible. I plan to time my every question this time. I just want to be quite sure to get on the right track on the study path(with material) and not end up studying what is not required for GMAT.

My action plan starts with -
1. Time every question be it from quant or verbal.
2. I am planning to go through the SC MGMAT book thoroughly this time(word to word) and build the basics better.
3. Then study the basics for CR and RC again. Start with CR and RC from LSAT superprep and Powerscore CR with timing each question.
4. Daily read some article from a journal/newspaper.
5. Developing the strategy to skip the question rather than re attempt it over and over again and waist the valuable time.

Please pitch in if you find any loopholes in the plan i am planning to go with.

Could you please suggest any reading material (some particular newspaper maybe) which i could read upon daily and it would then help me in my RC's in particular.

Thanks a ton for your help!

Here is my opinion on what you should keep in mind:

The SC book should have a sharp focus on meaning based questions. Use of reasoning is important and a "rules" based approach is not going to take you anywhere. In actual GMAT, the options are close.

The CR book should be to the point. Many books take long circuitous routes to clarify concepts. That is unnecessary e.g. I don't care about the types of assumption questions. I should know exactly what an assumption is to narrow down my options to 2 or 3 and then use ANT, if required, to get the answer. I can solve EVERY GMAT assumption question using this technique.

The RC book needs to introduce a few strategies and you can choose what works best for you. After that you need tons of tougher passages for practice.

You can get 'The Economist' (weekly).. It will provide you enough material for an hour everyday. Plus, read a daily newspaper of your choice.

And yes, skipping questions are a part of the play. Read a great post on this topic from our blog: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2010/10 ... for-field/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
The single best way to improve your score is to get a great private tutor who will identify and eliminate your personal weaknesses. Please visit this link to get an overview of our services and our rates compared to the competition: https://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/optimu ... menu#tutor

OPTIMUS PREP
GMAT Club Bot