Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi dookie

A little mistake here and a little mistake there might have lowered your score.

It is obvious that time was the biggest problem for you. 47Q is not bad... but you certainly can do better. Overall, i think you need to work harder on verbal and focus on your problem areas more. Whether a 700 is possible is totally upto you. you have taken the test and now you know where your problem areas really are. Focus on eliminating those shortcomings. Also, try to time yourself in your prep. We generally do most of our stupid mistakes when we are under time pressure.

I would like to see more solid effort in verbal from you. you certainly have potential, but just try to make your prep more methodical. Work harder on those idioms and those rules. You should have no doubt about these rules going into the test. Mastering SC and solving it as fast and as accurately as you can is your key to a 40+ Verbal. why? because the faster you solve SC's with great accuracy, the more time you have for RC and CR. In your prep, your goal should be to solve every SC question under one minute. Sure, you will make mistakes in your prep. But that sixty second approach will simulate the pressure that you are in on test day. In your prep, the more accurate you are under time pressure, the better off you will be on test day.

Now, we know that for math, you have 2 mins on average to solve a problem. throw that away. Reduce that number to 90 seconds. this reduced time will force you to work faster , think faster and thus would simulate the environment on test day. Again, you will make silly mistakes , but that is exactly the prep you need. Anybody can solve a problem sitting at starbucks with a laptop. but that apporach aint gonna work on test day.

Another tool you can add to your Math Prep is solve tough tough problems. I mean the ones that really make you feel horrible. why? this will enable to use all your concepts, all that you have learnt to solve this problem. will you see this problem on the GMAT? uh-huh. unlikely. but solving tough problems improves your concepts about a topic. It forces you to think harder. Knowledge is easily retained when you work hard to earn it. Solvign 100 problems a day is fine, but does it really add any value other than practice. I can promise you the GMAT will throw incredibly intelligent questions at you. add to this the time pressure and the pressure to perform and most of us cannot handle it. that is where the GMAT wins.

So, time yourself with a lesser time and solve and most importantly Learn concepts , not tricks. Tricks are good, but can you trust them on test day..Sure, but i can develop problems that simply cant be solve using tricks.... too much is at stake.. isnt it?

Finally, do try to participate ,post questions , get help and in turn, teach others. this is the best way to learn. period.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely
Praet
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think praterion has given you invaluable insights. One thing which surprises me is the variation is total scores in relation to scaled scores. I mean 47 q and 34 v should give you atleasttttt 660!! Infact i know some people who scored 670 with exactly these scaled scores. In my last attempt I had 44 q and 35 v , which gave me 650. You scored 3 more points than me in quant and just one less in verbal, and we ended up with exactly same score.
In my first attempt, I scored 690 with 49 q and 35 v whereas I know scores of people who touched 700 with exactly these scaled scores.
It is really confusing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you all for your comments.
Praet - I'm not sure that my problem in the math section was timing. It was the really difficult PS that i got in questions 9-15. One of them i just couldn't figure out, and the other (Geometry + Algebra) just took too much time to solve. When i tried it again at home i found a way to shorten the time it takes to solve it, but with the time ticking i wasn't creative enough.. So tricks ARE important! (After you know the concepts of course)
What i am hoping to do now is to collect enough math problems that combine question types like (ratio + probability), and practice them with limited time.

Thanks for your insights on the verbal section. Timing must be improved.
When i practiced at home before, i was timing myself this way -
25 min - first 12 question.
Next 25 min - make sure you pass question 25.
Next 25 - finish (26-41)

On the real test it wasn't possible because i wanted to check my answers, and because CR questions were really long! especially those BF questions!
It takes too much time to solve them. Maybe it's better to just guess and move on...
I will definitely use your advice and practice on solving SC in less than a minute.

Baruna - I am not sure yet where you can get the ETS paper tests.. i got mine from a friend. I'll ask...

crackgmat750 - Those variations in total score are confusing.. maybe ETS changed something. I got 670 on ETS paper tests.. If i got it on the real GMAT i would at least not be so surprised with my 650...

:shock:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks dookie..i will really appreciate if u can arrange the ETS paper test.
Wish u all the best for ur prepration.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts