Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First time taking prep, scored 570

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

First time taking prep, scored 570 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 07:13
I am going to take GMAT on 23 Nov, with no prior experience with the exam. Two days ago, I took the prep for the first time, scoring V27, Q41, total 570.

Do I have a good chance to hit 700 within 20 days?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 19

Re: First time taking prep, scored 570 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 17:23
I am not sure about other background information about you, but based on details you gave, I would say you need to work really really hard if you have not done any practice before.

GMAT tests basic concepts from high school, but familiarity with questions is very important because questions are tricky, and have many ways to trap novice exam taker. To achieve 700+, you need to be able to get past a good number of traps and solve harder questions with consistecy, which can be achieved by doing more and more practice.

I don't intend to discourage you at all, but rather the intention is to motivate you to use these 20 days and work hard to go above and beyond. Hope this helps.

Some other posts by me...
My GMAT Journey
Timer Tool for Google spreadsheet
Quant Flash Cards/Pages

700 (Q:49 V:35) - Thanks GMATClub - Test Center experience

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: First time taking prep, scored 570 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 06:41
Thank you Jb2010 for the advice. So at least it is not yet hopeless. In that case, I'll try. I'm working on the problems. I think my weakness is yes, as you say, to get across all the traps in maths. Additionally, to fasten my pace of reading. Since I'm not a native speaker, my reading speed is very slow. I hope I can make it.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 19

Re: First time taking prep, scored 570 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 13:24
My pleasure. I am in the same boat - not a native speaker and shooting for 700+ with the only difference that I have more time . PLease tell me how you score.

On reading speed, I am not sure if one can make dramatic changes in short time, but if you can help, try working on grammar and thereby improving your SC score. This will help you save time and may be spend a little more time on RC and CR. To achieve 700+, you need good verbal score along with very good quant score (from the perspective of quant-strong people!)

Some other posts by me...
My GMAT Journey
Timer Tool for Google spreadsheet
Quant Flash Cards/Pages

700 (Q:49 V:35) - Thanks GMATClub - Test Center experience

Re: First time taking prep, scored 570   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2010, 13:24