Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: First try on Argument AWA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Interesting about the timing...let me answer that here and then I'll take a look at those updated essays. I think I'd probably want to first ask where you think you're spending the most time:

-Up front brainstorming your "talking points"?

-Trying to think of things to write about while you're writing?

-Simply going through the process of writing?

I think for most it's likely that you lose the most time with that second one...you've started writing and then you get that "writer's block" and stall. If that's the case, I'd recommend taking 3-5 minutes at the beginning of the essay to jot down your ideas. For example, for an Issue essay, you ideally want to have:

3 points of support for one position
1 easy-to-rebut argument for the other position

So for me, I don't commit to a side first...I just start jotting down arguments on either side until I get to that point where I have enough to write about. Given that you only have 30 minutes to write, I think it's more efficient to brainstorm the talking points BEFORE you pick a side...see which side is easier to write about and once you have those thoughts down then you can start plugging them into the template.

That's my main suggestion for reducing time...that way you avoid writer's block and can get to the process of writing.
Intern
Intern
I'm actually doing exactly as you said, spent about 5 minutes to jot down notes on argument points (or positions for issue essay) and then further breakdown each point into evidence.

My problem seems to be just writing the essay. I would look at the note I wrote for a specific point, then somehow stuck and couldn't immediately paraphrase into GMAT language...
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts