Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Free public education is the best form of education there

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Free public education is the best form of education there [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 10:18
Free public education is the best form of education there is. Therefore, we must fight to ensure its continued existence; that is, we must be ready to defend the principle of equality of educational opportunity. Because this principle is we worth defending, it is clear that free public education is better than any other form of education.
Which one of the following illustrates the same weak reasoning as found in the passage?
(A) I love music, and that’s why I listen to it constantly. I have my stereo or radio on every waking minute. Since I play music all the time, I must really love it.
(B) Books are my most valuable possessions. My books are like my friends—each pleases me in different ways. Just as I would give up everything to save my friends, so too with my books.
(C) I would much rather be poor and respected than be rich and despised. To have the respect of others is far more valuable than to have millions of dollars.
(D) I have never been betrayed by any of my friends. They have been true to me through good times and bad. Therefore I will never betray any of my friends.
(E) Because every plant I have ever seen has green leaves, I have concluded that all plants must have green leaves. This looks like a plant but it does not have green leaves, so it cannot be a plant.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Free public education [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 11:35
noboru wrote:
Free public education is the best form of education there is. Therefore, we must fight to ensure its continued existence; that is, we must be ready to defend the principle of equality of educational opportunity. Because this principle is we worth defending, it is clear that free public education is better than any other form of education.
Which one of the following illustrates the same weak reasoning as found in the passage?
(A) I love music, and that’s why I listen to it constantly. I have my stereo or radio on every waking minute. Since I play music all the time, I must really love it.
(B) Books are my most valuable possessions. My books are like my friends—each pleases me in different ways. Just as I would give up everything to save my friends, so too with my books.
(C) I would much rather be poor and respected than be rich and despised. To have the respect of others is far more valuable than to have millions of dollars.
(D) I have never been betrayed by any of my friends. They have been true to me through good times and bad. Therefore I will never betray any of my friends.
(E) Because every plant I have ever seen has green leaves, I have concluded that all plants must have green leaves. This looks like a plant but it does not have green leaves, so it cannot be a plant.

Is it B? The later half of the question is trying to show that because the principle is worth defending so so free public education is best. B seems to compare books to friends and then show that because he defends his friends with everything he will also do the same to the books...

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Free public education [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 11:42
shaselai wrote:
noboru wrote:

Is it B? The later half of the question is trying to show that because the principle is worth defending so so free public education is best. B seems to compare books to friends and then show that because he defends his friends with everything he will also do the same to the books...

That is...NOT CORRECT

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Current Student

Re: Free public education [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 12:11
Is it E?
At least i know a weakness in my CR :)

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Free public education [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 14:08
shaselai wrote:
Is it E?
At least i know a weakness in my CR :)

You want to try again

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Free public education [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 08:22
A
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Free public education [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 10:38
A

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Current Student

Re: Free public education [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 11:32
give some reasoning for it?

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Free public education [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

It is a circular reasoning:

premise:Free public education is the best form of education there is

premise:Therefore, we must fight to ensure its continued existence; that is, we must be ready to defend the principle of equality of educational opportunity.

Conclusion:Because this principle is we worth defending, it is clear that free public education is better than any other form of education.

Both conclusion and premise state the same.

A tells the same

Premise:I love music, and that’s why I listen to it constantly
Premise:I have my stereo or radio on every waking minute.
Conclusion:Since I play music all the time, I must really love it.

b)Books are my most valuable possessions. My books are like my friends—each pleases me in different ways. Just as I would give up everything to save my friends, so too with my books.

The premise and conclusion are different here.
C and D is the same as B

premise and conclusion are close but not same..

Keep trying no matter how hard it seems, it will get easier.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Free public education [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 18:23
A.

Same circular logic (chicken vs. egg) as the question:
Public education is best because it is equality, therefore we must defend it; equality is worth defending, therefore public education is best.

I love music, therefore I listen to music; I listen to music, therefore I must love music.

Please post OA.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Free public education [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 06:50
Yes, must be A.

Education -> best
Must fight -> education is the best

A. Love music -> listen
Play music all the time -> love it.

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
http://gmatsentencecorrection.blogspot.com/

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 948 [0], given: 235

Re: Free public education [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 13:11
difficult one... do we have circular reasoning in GMAT???

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Free public education [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 05:53
IMO A.

noboru,
Can you move this question from RC section to CR (Weaken) section?

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: Free public education [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 06:54
noboru wrote:

Here the author is taking his personal opinion and trying to apply it universally like this is a sweet which tastes good, so we must eat, i.e. since this sweet is worth eating this is the best out there
This is his personal opinion and he is not applying it universally so out.
There is an opinion but no universal application
This is just a personal opinion
This is like stating since free education is the best form of p

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 00:37
e . circular reasoning
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 622 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Free public education is the best form of education there [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 06:45
Expert's post
Going with E.
Noburu can you please post the OA, OE and Source.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Going with A [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 18:57
Going with A. As it seems circular dependency in A. Premise Assumption n conclusion are in loop.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 03-03-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Free public education is the best form of education there [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 08:15
This post received
KUDOS
Circular reasoning
IMO E

Thanks
crazy4priya
GMATPrep 1 710/Q49/V38
GMATPrep 2 690/Q49/V34
Veritas Prep 700/Q50/V36/IR5
MGMT Test 1 700/Q51/V35/IR3

Re: Free public education is the best form of education there   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2012, 08:15