Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [6]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6777 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: IT Major
Schools:ISB - Co 2013
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V44
GPA: 2.5-3.0
WE 1: IT Professional since 2006
Send PM
Re: If # represents +, -, *, or /, then does (a+b)#c = (a#c) + (b#c) for a [#permalink]
From both the options we can not say that equation will be satisfied for all the values of a,b, and c...
BUT we can say that equation will NOT be satisfied for all the values of a,b, and c.

IMO D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: If # represents +, -, *, or /, then does (a+b)#c = (a#c) + (b#c) for a [#permalink]
Jennifer is this question write or it is (a+b)#c = (a#c) + (b#c)

Because if it is (a+b)#c = (a#b) + (b#c) as u have mentioned in the question then..
Statement 1 does not satisfy the condition in any way. Therefore (a+b)#c = (a#b) + (b#c) does not stand and this statement gives us the answer that condition is not possible.

Statement 2 also provide that (a+b)#c = (a#b) + (b#c) does not stand and this statement again gives us answer that condition is not possible.

And therefore answer will be "D"

But OA is "B" ... and for that the condition should be (a+b)#c = (a#c) + (b#c) and not as u mentioned in the question.
In this Statement 1 will satisfy in * and / conditions and will not in + and - conditions
But statement 2 will satisfy the condition and the answer will be "B"

Plz recheck ur question.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2931 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
JenniferClopton wrote:
From Grockit:

If # represents +, -, *, or /, then does (a+b)#c = (a#c) + (b#c) for all numbers a, b, and c?

1. 1#c = c#1

2. # represents +

I think the correct question ought to be as above

Statement 1 : 1#c=c#1 ... means # is either + or * ... If it is +, the answer is "no" ... If it is *, the answer is "yes"
Statement 2 : Sufficient to answer "no"

Answer : (b)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619197 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
JenniferClopton wrote:
From Grockit:

If # represents +, -, *, or /, then does (a+b)#c = (a#b) + (b#c) for all numbers a, b, and c?

1. 1#c = c#1

2. # represents +

It should be: (a+b)#c = (a#c) + (b#c) instead of (a+b)#c = (a#b) + (b#c)

(1) 1#c = c#1 --> # can be either addition or multiplication: \(1*c=c*1\) and \(1+c=c+1\) (true for ALL numbers of a, b, and c). Now, if it's addition then we'll have: \(a+b+c\neq{a+c+b+c }\) (so it's doesn't hold true for ALL numbers a, b, and c, it holds true when c=0) and if it's multiplication then we'll have: \(ac+bc={ac+bc }\) (so it's holds true for ALL numbers of a, b, and c). Not sufficient.

(2) # represents + --> if # represents addition then given equation doesn't hold true for all numbers a, b, and c, it holds true when c=0. So we have the answer No to the question. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Similar questions:
operations-101337.html
addition-or-multiplication-104600.html
jeff-sackmann-extreme-challenge-q-105352.html

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
It should be: (a+b)#c = (a#c) + (b#c) instead of (a+b)#c = (a#b) + (b#c)

I have corrected the error in the initial post. Apologies. This question has fooled me twice!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
BTW WHT'S THE CORRECT ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION I CHOSE

OA-(b)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Guys consider giving me KUDOS..... i have corrected a question. come on be sporty...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi All,

This is an example of a "symbolism" question - it involves a "made up" math symbol which you'll be asked to use to perform a basic set of calculations. You'll likely see 1 such question on the GMAT and it almost always involves some type of arithmetic or algebra.

We're told that the symbol # is one of 4 possible math functions: add, subtract, multiply, or divide.

We're asked if (A+B)#C = (A#C) + (B#C) for all numbers A, B, and C? This is a YES/NO question. The answer will depend on the actual 'meaning' of the symbol.

In these types of questions, it might be tempting to do a lot of pre-work before dealing with the two Facts. However, much of that work is NOT necessary, so in this case it would be a waste of time.

Fact 1: 1#C = C#1

This means that the symbol can be 1 of 2 possibilities: either 'add' or 'multiply'

Let's TEST VALUES to see what happens in each case:

IF.....
A=1
B=2
C=3

# means 'add'
(A+B)#C = (A#C) + (B#C) =
(1+2)+3 = (1+3) + (2+3)?
6 = 4 + 5?
The answer to the question is NO.

IF...# means 'multiply'
(A+B)#C = (A#C) + (B#C) =
(1+2)(3) = (1)(3) + (2)(3)?
9 = 3 + 6?
The answer to the question is YES.
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT

Fact 2: # represents "+"

Since we know the symbol can only represent one symbol, then we CAN answer the question.
Fact 2 is SUFFICIENT.

Final Answer:
GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619197 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
JenniferClopton wrote:
If # represents +, -, *, or /, then does (a+b)#c = (a#c) + (b#c) for all numbers a, b, and c?

(1) 1#c = c#1
(2) # represents +

Check other Symbols Representing Arithmetic Operation questions in our Special Questions Directory.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92945 posts