Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: Frustrated over Verbal - need help to improve verbal score [#permalink]
hbsaspire! 2 things that caught my attention:

hbsaspire wrote:
Thanks Prakash! I was analyzing my practice test and found that I got 17 incorrect in verbal and the last 6 questions were all wrong. Maybe that is what really brought my score down.

Do not focus on accuracy. It is a wrong metric and won't tell you the "real" story. Instead focus on what you can learn from the mistakes. Here is a better metric for you to follow: www.crackverbal.com/nailed-it-missed-it ... crewed-it/

hbsaspire wrote:
And yes I guess was under pressure. Timing wise during practice I was going at 45 secs for SC, 1:30 mins for CR and 10 mins for an RC passage. But I am pretty sure I went over those time limits in the actual test as I fell short of time for the last few questions.

10 minutes is an awful lot for RC! Let us do some math here:

4 passages X 10minutes = 40 minutes
Total time for the test = 75 minutes

Total questions = 41
RC questions = 14

So you have 27/35 = 77 seconds per question!

A recipe for disaster. My recommendation - just focus on improving your RC skills and you would do well! Here is a blog I wrote just last week on this topic: https://www.crackverbal.com/why-reading- ... -of-india/

Hth,

Arun
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
If your verbal raw score is still 21 after going several weeks with the resources used, you need to find another approach. Getting a great score on math and weak score in verbal is going to look imbalanced and business schools frown on that. They prefer balanced scores and the weighting on the scores will reflect this. Your RC at 57% also needs to be boosted up.

If your last 6 questions were all wrong, it must be due to lack of stamina or lack of confidence in marking the right answer. You absolutely need to increase confidence that a particular answer choice is the right answer choice.

I would recommend doing "sprint" practice sessions. Time yourself on one question at a time and do it as fast as possible. THen break, then repeat. Do the same for RC passages...race yourself on reading through the passage, connect the ideas, then resummarize before tackling the first RC question. How fast can you do it? Building up on sprints will help you build stamina on the real test.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Verbal Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
654 posts
Current Student
733 posts
Current Student
278 posts