Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
Re: Gift for recommender [#permalink]
I got each of mine really nice hard-cover books on subjects they are all psyched about. The books were also very neatly signed by a calligrapher (my brother just happens to be one).

It cost me, but hey, these people really went out of their way to help me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:Yale - Current MBA Student
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
I was thinking of getting each of my recommenders a painting of me sitting on top of a ladder with bags of money and I'm pointing down at them and laughing (they're at the bottom of the ladder). Also, in the painting I'll have a cigar in my mouth, and they'll just be looking up at me looking really sad.

But seriously, I did feel a little weird when I asked them to write my recs and I spoke with them about my career goals, it was basically like saying, "Hi, I want to stop working for you so I can really get a great job, but before I quit on you, you mind writing some great things about me to help me get out of here."

Hahaha...I felt the same way! But, I think supervisors genuinely want to see their subordinates go on to expand their education at great schools. If they can show their employees get accepted to outstanding schools, it speaks highly of their ability to find, hire, and develop the best talent. They know why we're applying.....they get it.....and, I've found that in nearly all cases, they're very supportive...and often flattered...that they're asked. I still felt a bit weird though. True.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General
Schools:Cornell (R1),
 Q49  V46
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: E-Payments (3 years)
WE 2: Semiconductors (3 years)
WE 3: Aerospace & Defense (2 years)
Send PM
I think I sprung $50-$80 for a gift.

One I got personalized titalist golf balls (Male, 50's)
One I got godiva chocolate (dark) basket (Female, 40's)
One I got Omaha Steaks (Female, 30's)

The gifts were tailored towards what I knew them to like.

I had these sent to them about two weeks AFTER the last rec went in (so about a week before Thanksgiving).

I also took 2 out of 3 of them to dinner after the New Year (after I had all my decisions back). (I work currently for the 3rd - the golf ball guy, and we just haven't had time to get together for lunch/dinner...)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
I'm planning on taking them out to lunch at a pretty nice place in downtown L.A. on my last day (10 weeks, eep!).

I also asked my mentor (who wrote one of my recs) if he wanted something from the US (like expensive wine) or for my parents to bring back something from their Rajasthan-India safari and he perked up and said he wanted a huge painting of Shiva the Destroyer. So I basically had them bring back something Indian for the other 2 recommenders as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
 Q48  V44
GPA: 3.09
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Send PM
I gave my recommenders nice wine/champagne glasses after they submitted my last letter. Think they cost me around $50-$75 for a pair. When I gave it to them I made a small joke about giving them something to fill it with once I decide where I’m going. Will certainly get each a bottle but still up in the air about how much I’ll spend.

I think its important to get them something before you hear but its nice to be able to match the end gift on the result as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
My 2 cents - send a thank you note right after they send the recommendation (or after you submit your application) - that's a must, and consider sending a small gift after you are admitted. :student_man:
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
kryzak wrote:
as people have said, give a gift over the holiday break or after the last letter has been sent in. Then give some school related gift when you decide to matriculate and leave the job.

I don't think there is a one size fits all here. If you work in a field where the salaries are lower- the gift might not be the same as if you were in private equity. Also think of this as an investment in what is hopefully an ongoing relationship. You never want to close doors if you don't have to- so just be appropriately thoughtful- and keep in mind that a heartfelt thank you note that really captures what this person has meant to you as a mentor may indeed be more valuable to your recommender than expensive champagne! Don't feel like you need to break the bank on this-- and for those reading this for advice for the future--one of the best gifts you can give your recommender is time... give them time to do these well. Don't dump these on them with a week's notice- or even worse--
a week's notice where the week you have given is right before the New Year! People are busy enough with family and outside interests- and want really only to work on the most critical things that holiday week-- so don't dump your recommendations on them at that time if you can help it. One thing I have noticed working with many clients is that the applicants think-- oh I can save all this for the holidays-- when THEY are off work. But then giving this extra job to your recommender when THEY TOO would rather not be working-- and while you don't consider your B school apps "work"-- so you are happy to do that on Christmas Eve.... I guarantee you that no matter how fabulous you are your recommender IS considering this WORK for them-- and they would really rather not do this on Christmas or New Year's Eve....
And how you interact with your recommender will say more about you than you think and a Starbucks gift card is not going to erase your poor planning if you expect your recommender to turn things for you on a dime.... so file all under best practices for recommenders... Best wishes as you journey through all this fun that is the MBA application experience!!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2