Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.25
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: gmat 680, need profile evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey there KArthik,
Good to hear from you. I don't want to be a wet towel, but as an Indian in IT who wants to move to finance, with very little experience, and so-so GMAT, I think you should wait another year (or two).

I have worked with a LOT of Indian clients, and I have seen people with similar profiles but with more experience and a higher GMAT struggle to get into top schools. Your applicant pool is very very large and very very tough. (And on the side, I do not recommend writing that you want to switch to finance. this is what most Indian IT applicants wish, but it is not so plausible as a goal). I think that the MBA is a one-time thing, and the best thing you can do to yourself is to go to the best school possible. That is why I would recommend you waiting another two years. Get promoted! Get some leadership! Get some international experience! Boost your community service! And get 40+ points more on the GMAT!!

If you apply now with so little experience, and an okay GMAT, I feel you will only be doing yourself a disservice.

I hope this is not disappointing to hear, but better now than later!!!!

If you have any further questions or comments, do not hesitate,
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
karthikchiluveru,
You need to provide much more info than that. Look at other profile evaluation posts on this forum ...

--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi paul, erina
Thanks for the swift reply. As per your suggestion I am including additional details. Plz let me know if I missed out anything.

Gmat score : 680 (48Q/34V) , AWA:5.0 , I.R : 6.0

Under graduation:
Kakatiya Institute of Technology and science, warangal (afflicated to Kakatiya University)
B.Tech , IT
78% ( didnt perform well in one semester due to health issues which affected the overall score)

Work experience:
1 yr 10 months ( will be 2yrs by aug, 2013)
Mahindra satyam computer services.
Role : SAP PI Consultant. ( no experience in management )

Achievements :
3rd in school in 10th with 90% (out of 320 students)
2nd in college in 12th with 96%(out of more than 500 students)
Cleared Sun certification in java with 88%
head of press and media commitee for college event organized in 2nd yr ( also played the role of additional photographer)
head of web designing and paper presentation commitees for the college event organized in 4th yr.
Received a merit certificate for clearing the mahindrasatyam training program with 2nd highest mark in the batch.
Received 2 letters of appreciation for performance in the case studies.
Received Bravo Award for performance in the project.

I am planning to join for 2014 spring or 2014 fall.
My post mba goal is I want to change my career to finance.

Plz suggest suitable programs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there KArthik,
Good to hear from you. I don't want to be a wet towel, but as an Indian in IT who wants to move to finance, with very little experience, and so-so GMAT, I think you should wait another year (or two).

I have worked with a LOT of Indian clients, and I have seen people with similar profiles but with more experience and a higher GMAT struggle to get into top schools. Your applicant pool is very very large and very very tough. (And on the side, I do not recommend writing that you want to switch to finance. this is what most Indian IT applicants wish, but it is not so plausible as a goal). I think that the MBA is a one-time thing, and the best thing you can do to yourself is to go to the best school possible. That is why I would recommend you waiting another two years. Get promoted! Get some leadership! Get some international experience! Boost your community service! And get 40+ points more on the GMAT!!

If you apply now with so little experience, and an okay GMAT, I feel you will only be doing yourself a disservice.

I hope this is not disappointing to hear, but better now than later!!!!

If you have any further questions or comments, do not hesitate,

Hi Jon Frank,

Thanks for the honest reply and suggestions. I do agree with you and will give a thought about it. But to me its kind of now-or-never deal. It would be a lot harder for me to wait for another 2 years. I am afraid that I would be completely struck in my job and will not be able to come out of it.
Anyway, thanks for the evaluation and suggestions.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
karthikchiluveru wrote:
Hi,

I am an indian IT professional with experience of 2yrs(by aug,2013)

Gmat score : 680 (48Q/34V) , AWA:5.0 , I.R : 6.0

Under graduation:
Kakatiya Institute of Technology and science, warangal (afflicated to Kakatiya University)
B.Tech , IT
78% ( didnt perform well in one semester due to health issues which affected the overall score)

Work experience:
1 yr 10 months ( will be 2yrs by aug, 2013)
Mahindra satyam computer services.
Role : SAP PI Consultant. ( no experience in management )

Achievements :
3rd in school in 10th with 90% (out of 320 students)
2nd in college in 12th with 96%(out of more than 500 students)
Cleared Sun certification in java with 88%
head of press and media commitee for college event organized in 2nd yr ( also played the role of additional photographer)
head of web designing and paper presentation commitees for the college event organized in 4th yr.
Received a merit certificate for clearing the mahindrasatyam training program with 2nd highest mark in the batch.
Received 2 letters of appreciation for performance in the case studies.
Received Bravo Award for performance in the project.

My post mba goal is I want to change my career to finance. (let me know the chances for it since i dont have any finance background)
I am planning to join for Spring 2014 in U.S . please let me know the appropriate universities that i stand a chance to get into.

You need to work a few more years, regardless of what your post-MBA career goals are. Most Indian IT guys like yourself tend to have around 5-7 years of experience at matriculation, and as hard as it is for them to get into decent MBA programs, they have an advantage over you since their resume is stronger (as they have more experience to draw from).

It is not a now-or-never deal for you at this point. If you feel stuck, going to b-school isn't the answer. If you do feel stuck in your job, you need to find however which way to find a job that you do enjoy and/or will give you opportunities to achieve, learn and grow. Grad school isn't the answer all the time (because you will face this at other times in your career even with an MBA, and you can't just go back to school every time your job situation isn't ideal).
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
I agree with Alex here. You can always look for a new job while working, or a second alternative would be to go for some sort of Computer Science or Math Masters and use that to propel yourself out of the job (and do the MBA at a later point in time).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
No matter what try to bump up your GMAT score as much as possible. Your undergraduate institution is not as well-known as other schools.

So, I agree with the other posters that you should gain more experience and do not present yourself as a career switcher. If you must apply this year, look for schools outside of the top 30 that send a good percentage of applicants to finance careers. You can research this by looking at the respective school career resources pages.

Good luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
https://www.mbaprepadvantage.com
https://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog
Like MBAPrepAdvantage on https://www.facebook.com/MBAPrepAdvantage
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.
GMAT Club Bot