Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.64
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Re: GMAT before or after june [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mikeynyc wrote:
I'm thinking the GMAT is a good option for my career choices down the road - whatever they may be. I hear the exam is changing in June - should I take it before or after? I've never taken the GMAT but I want to do well - 700+.

Two things:

1. Will you be well prepared in a month's time? If yes, take it. If no, wait. I am assuming you haven't given much thought to the exam yet. Take a GMAT prep test. If you score 700+ in that, chances are that a month is enough. If you get less than 600, you will probably need to put in more than a month.

2. The exam is changing - but is the change good for you or bad? Don't assume it is bad for you. Would you prefer to work on 'Analysis of an Issue' or 'Integrated Reasoning'? It's for you to find out. You might find you like the IR section better. If you do, that could be another reason to wait.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
mikeynyc wrote:
I'm thinking the GMAT is a good option for my career choices down the road - whatever they may be. I hear the exam is changing in June - should I take it before or after? I've never taken the GMAT but I want to do well - 700+.

You've gotten some good advice on this page already, but I'll add my 2 cents as well. :)

As it happens, I've already written a blog addressing this very question:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/should-i-t ... t-changes/

I hope you find that helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :)
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
mikeynyc wrote:

Also, to know more about the Integrated Reasoning Section, you can register for the free integrated reasoning seminar Brian is conducting on

Thursday, April 26, 6pm Pacific
Saturday, May 12, 8am Pacific

Register here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-r ... g-seminar/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
mikeynyc wrote:

Also, to know more about the Integrated Reasoning Section, you can register for the free integrated reasoning seminar Brian is conducting on

Thursday, April 26, 6pm Pacific
Saturday, May 12, 8am Pacific

Register here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-r ... g-seminar/

Karishma, does Veritas Prep have any published material for the Integrated Reasoning Section? I am just a little curious on this.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
dzodzo85 wrote:

Karishma, does Veritas Prep have any published material for the Integrated Reasoning Section? I am just a little curious on this.

We will have an IR section in our new books (which will hit the markets in July). Right now, we teach Integrated Reasoning in the classroom (and give out handouts of the relevant material to our students).
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Expert Reply
I'll chime in as well. In short, if you are smart enough to get a 700+ and you don't have a strict timeline, you should not fear the IR section.

Lot's of students are trying to decide if they should be taking the test before the big change in June. As has been mentioned, the big change of Integrated Reasoning really isn't that big. Sure they swap out an essay for more "real" test, but the rest of the GMAT is unchanged! The IR section is scored completely separately (1-6) from your 200-800 score. At some point, the IR section score will become relevant to admissions offices, but it will be a while before enough data exists to correlate IR performance with Business School Performance.

So the impact of the IR to you is the additional study time required to prepare for IR and the increased mental fatigue you'll experience before the Quant section (let's admit that the essays are warm-ups at best). You won't have to dedicate vast amounts of study time to IR (20 hours isn't a bad estimate) because you'll use the same quant/verbal concepts for IR as you will during the "main event". You'll spend most of your time dealing with the new tools and question types (yes you get a calculator!). As far as stamina, you'll want to be running through practice exams with IR sections (GMAT 2.0 is loaded with IR and our CATs now have IR) and be sure to take advantage of the break before the quant section (recharge your brain).

So don't fear IR! Take the GMAT when you will maximize your 200-800 score. If you want a deep dive on IR, go to the MGMAT site and check out the free IR video (on the home page).
GMAT Club Bot