Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: GMAT Club Math Book question [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Allen,

If you're still fairly early-on in your studies, then you shouldn't worry too much about the volume of material that you still have to memorize/learn - it will all come with time.

1) How long have you been studying?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Math Book question [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Allen,

If you're still fairly early-on in your studies, then you shouldn't worry too much about the volume of material that you still have to memorize/learn - it will all come with time.

1) How long have you been studying?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Rich

I'm definitely early-on in my studies. I would say I've been studying for about a week now.

I plan to take the GMAT in about 3 months, around November this year. Ideally I'd like to start my full time MBA in Sept 2016, where I will have 2.5 years of full time experience in IT Consulting + 4 internships, so hopefully they can see me as with 3-4 years of exp.

I got pretty poor marks in undergrad, like a C+ in my last two years, so I really need to kill the GMAT to have a realistic chance at the school I want to get into.

As I go through the 6e books, what is the best way for me to practice? I read that I shouldnt read a section e.g., number theorey - odd/even, and then do only questions for that category because on the actual exam, figuring out the category of the question is part of the solution. I found some copies of earlier editions, they have a much larger number of relatively simple questions at the end of each chapter. I found it VERY helpful to do 15 questions after I finish the chapter. But I'm told that it isnt so good to do this... so I'm kind of confused.

So I know Im not supposed to finish a chapter -> go to OG and do questions for that chapter. So should I finish an entire book, like number theory, and then do questions for number theory? Or is that doing the same thing Im told not to do, just at a broader level? So then should I finish the entire section, quantitative, and then do questions?

Thanks in advance for your time.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi allenh98,

Since you're just starting out, much of the work you'll be doing in the immediate timeframe will be reading/learning and then doing practice questions. To build skills in any particular area, you have to focus on that area, so doing quizzes that focus on one particular subject IS a good idea. As you get further into your studies, you'll want to do 'broader' quizzes and take FULL-LENGTH CATs at regular intervals, so that you can test your accumulated skills.

Since you already seem to know what your first-choice School is, you can reach out to representatives and ask whatever specific questions interest you. Since you mention some concern over your grade point average, there might still be some things that you can do about it. Certain Schools take it as a good sign when an applicant completes Extension classes (or equivalent) in Calculus, Statistics, etc. before attending an MBA Program. You might be able to make a pro-active move in this regard, but you'll want to know how that School interprets that type of activity.

Rich
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92933 posts