Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Dilemma - Would you recommend I retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Dilemma - Would you recommend I retake? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 10:54
Hi there -

I've had a bit of a dilemma on my mind for the past year or so and the time has finally come to make a decision. Basically, I'm wondering if I need to retake the GMAT or not.

Context:
Took the GMAT July 2010 - scored a 710 : V40 / Q47, AWA 6
Retook the GMAT July 2012 (because retakes never hurt, right?) - scored a 710 : V41 / Q47, AWA 6, IR 2

Even though the scores are about the same, I'm afraid that the IR 2 will look bad, even if I just submit the first score (provided that's even possible). Am I making this out to be a bigger deal than it is?

Biggest reason I am asking is because I currently find myself unemployed and looking for a job (Was working full-time to launch a startup for the past 2 years and funding dried up). I could use this time to retake the GMAT a 3rd time... or I could learn a new language, travel a bit, put extra energy into the job search, etc. I'm planning on applying for 2014, though if I find a particularly interesting opportunity, I could be persuaded to delay my application until 2015 at the latest. (I'll be 30 on Christmas, and I already feel like I'm at the top end age range for a number of my target schools).

Additional Context (if it helps):

Work Experience:
1. 3 years in IT (mostly in system administration-type roles, some increasing responsibility, promoted / relocated twice)
2. 2 years as a Peace Corps Volunteer in West Africa
3. 2 years helping to launch a technology/marketing startup in the US.

Volunteer Experience:
1. Serve on the board for a local non-profit (supporting returned peace corps volunteers)
2. Periodically volunteer with Habitat for Humanity

Goal:
1. Longer-term - start a company with a presence in an emerging economy.
2. Short-term - work for a major technology / financial services company for several years to gain the experience necessary for my longer-term goal

Aiming for: Schools like Cornell, Duke, Darden, Columbia, Yale, Tuck, etc.
(Was dinged in the past from Kellogg, Chicago, and Wharton - admittedly 1-2 years ago, before my thinking had quite matured to the point it's at now.)

Many thanks for the help,

GMAT Confused
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Dilemma - Would you recommend I retake? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 20:16
Expert's post
Hi GMATConfused2013,

Thanks for posting. For your GMAT score, if you believe you can improve your score by 30+ points, we recommend you consider taking the exam again. The reason is on your business school application, your highest score is self-reported on your application, so admissions teams will focus on your highest score. There is no harm in taking the exam again.

If you'd like, MBA.com provides 2 free official GMAT practice exams. We also have free GMAT tips here: http://www.stacyblackman.com/gmat-files/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap