Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6277 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: GMAT Exam Date for September 2017 intake [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jaindhruv1991,

You haven't provided much information in your post. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi,

Below are the answers to the questions you have asked.

1) How long have you studied?
Ans) I have studied for roughly 1 month. I feel underprepared mostly in the English section.

2) What materials have you used?
Ans) I am currently using Magoosh GMAT prep and referring to Official GMAT Guide 2016 for questions.

3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
Ans) I have given only 1 full GMAT mock which is provided by GMAT Test Prep and I was able to score only 500 :(. Feel very underconfident after that score.

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
Ans) I am aiming for score not less than 700 as my profile is not that good.

5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
Ans) I am aiming for September 2017 intake and have very less information about the deadlines for each college.

6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
Ans) I have not searched for the B-schools.
Current Student
Send PM
JeffTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi jaindhruv1991,

I am happy to provide some advice about preparing for your upcoming GMAT. However, I would first like to learn some more about your GMAT experience and MBA goals. I have a few questions.

1) What is your GMAT score goal?

2) Are you just starting your GMAT prep? If not, for how long have you been studying? For how many months and for how many hours a day? What resources have you been using for your prep?

3) Have you taken any official MBA(dot)com practice exams? If so, can you provide us with the score breakdowns from your Official GMAT prep practice exams? When you took the practice tests, did you take them under realistic conditions (e.g. in a quiet environment, no extended breaks)? Did you complete the entire CAT, including the IR and Essay sections?

4) What are the MBA programs to which you plan to apply? What deadlines are you targeting?

Once i have some more information regarding your situation I can provide some more tailored advice.

Hi Jeff,
1) I am aiming for score of 700+

2) I started my GMAT Prep a month ago (Aug 13) and currently I am giving 1-2 hours each day as I am working in a start-up. For resources, I am using Magoosh GMAT and GMAT Official Guide 2016.

3) I gave GMAT Test Prep of MBA(dot)com before starting my preparation and got a score of 500. The quantitative score was 37 (44th Percentile), Verbal score was 22 (28th Percentile) and IR score was 3 (24th Percentile). The environment was pretty much quiet and I gave the exam with no extended breaks. I did write the AWA and IR as well.

4) I am planning to do MBA in the field of Marketing as I am working in the field of Digital Marketing in a start-up. I am trying for September 2017 intake.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jaindhruv1991,

If it's been a month since you took that first CAT, then you should plan to take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) sometime soon (perhaps this weekend). We need to know how well your current approach to studying is actually working. Raising a score from 500 to 700+ would likely take another 3 months (or more) of consistent, guided study... but you've already done some studying, so less time than that might actually be what is required. Once you have that score, you should report back here.

Since you don't know which Schools you plan to apply to, there's a question as to whether a 700+ score is 'needed' or not. Obviously, you want to score as high as possible on the GMAT, but the score that Test Takers 'want' and the score that they actual 'need' are rarely the same thing. This is meant to say that you might want to do a bit of research into the Schools that interest you, so you can better define the type of GMAT score that is 'in the range' of what the Schools are looking for.

Rich
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jaindhruv1991,

If it's been a month since you took that first CAT, then you should plan to take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) sometime soon (perhaps this weekend). We need to know how well your current approach to studying is actually working. Raising a score from 500 to 700+ would likely take another 3 months (or more) of consistent, guided study... but you've already done some studying, so less time than that might actually be what is required. Once you have that score, you should report back here.

Since you don't know which Schools you plan to apply to, there's a question as to whether a 700+ score is 'needed' or not. Obviously, you want to score as high as possible on the GMAT, but the score that Test Takers 'want' and the score that they actual 'need' are rarely the same thing. This is meant to say that you might want to do a bit of research into the Schools that interest you, so you can better define the type of GMAT score that is 'in the range' of what the Schools are looking for.

Rich

Hi,
Can you please guide me on how to start looking for MBA schools?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jaindhruv1991,

The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to. Instead of just applying to Programs in which you might have a good chance to 'get in', here are some other things to think about:

1) Is there a particular company that you want to work for or industry that you want to work in? Certain degrees are more appropriate than others if you have a specific career goal.
2) What do you want your MBA to do for you?
3) Do you want to go to School full-time or part-time?
4) Are you willing to relocate? Are you comfortable with working through a program that is primarily online?
5) Are you going to be applying for scholarships?
Etc.

Once you've determined what type of Program you want to attend (as well as the other variables involved), then you can start to research and narrow down the possibilities.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot