Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT Extra Time for Dyslexia - Has Anyone Managed To Get It? [#permalink]
vandygrad11 wrote:
What documentation did you provide and what additional documentation did they say is required?

Of course the barriers are high to get this. I'm not aware of anyone who has received extra time.

I submitted a psyco-educational assessment done by an American clinical psychologist based in Switzerland. The assessment contains:
1/ Reasons for referral
2/ Background information on me
3/ A reference to previous results (w/out documentation due to Swiss patient/confidentiality laws)
4/ Assessment observations
5/ In-depth assessment findings (2-pages) covering quantitative and verbal
6/ Recommendations
7/ Results of the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale - Thrid UK Edition
5/ Results of the Wechsler Individual Achievement Test - Second UK Edition

Response from the GMAC was the following:

"We do not feel that there is sufficient evidence to indicate that you are unable to take our test under standardized conditions. First, we note that you have reportedly always performed well academically without having received accommodations." NOTE: In Switzerland learning disabilities are not recognized but I did get my job thanks to extra time on the entry test of a Fortune 500 company.

"As such, the materials you have provided to not suggest that you have history of significant functional impairment as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act" NOTE: I have a MSc, therefore strong in Maths but weak in Vocabulary (demonstrated by the test results submitted.

"Did no receive the first assessment I got at age 22" NOTE: Under Swiss laws this is a confidential document. I don't even know if the doctor still has it as she retired.

"We must reiterate that the Americans with Disabilities Act indicates that accommodations are reasonable in cases where an individual is experiencing SIGNIFICANT functional impairment rather than a “mild” area of difficulty. " NOTE: assessment from my clinical psychologist is that my IQ is too high to fall in this bucket.

"We see that the battery of tests for which the results were submitted did not include TIMED measures of lengthy, complex reading, writing, or math" NOTE: looks as if they would like me to do longer TIMED tests (I was given Wechsler tests w/out time constraints and ended up taking 2x more time than the average person to complete. Looks as if they are not aligned with the methodology used by my doctor.

"Overall pattern of results does not provide compelling evidence that you are struggling with reading SPEED, and therefore these results to not suggest that extended time would be appropriate for you on the reading portions of the GMAT."

Looks as if I need to re-sit the whole set of tests TIMED (which is another 1000 USD :-S). I shared with my doctor the GMAC requirements document prior to sitting the tests and would have expected to see this important detail in the request, but apparently it's not written or she missed it.

Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
I'm confused. D you know for sure whether you will have the chance to appeal their decision? It might be a closed case by this point.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vandygrad11 wrote:
I'm confused. D you know for sure whether you will have the chance to appeal their decision? It might be a closed case by this point.

They say I can appeal - the question is whether it's worth it. Right now I'm looking at the Tutor option as well.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM