Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: GMAT plateau at 580! How to break through? [#permalink]
TedC wrote:
Hello everyone,

After 6 months studying GMAT I have reached a plateau. I have scored 580 for about one month on my practice tests now. Yesterday was the day of my official GMAT test and I got a 580. That confirmed what I thought (I reach a plateau). So I do not know what to do right now and how to improve my score (goal: 620+).

I have studied with the set of MGMAT quantitative books (Book 1 - Book 5) + OG 13 + Quantitative review 2nd edition + Kaplan premier. As you can notice my main struggle is on the quantitative part. I started with a 490 GMAT score with a really low quant. score (27). I work at the same time I study for GMAT, therefore I can only study 1 to 2 hours during the week and around 8 hours during the weekend.

Studying habits:
I went through the theory and all the materials (I did not study the geometry though). I did sample questions from OG 13 every days and I took 5 practice tests. Here is the breakdown of my score:
CAT1: 560 (Q32 V35)
CAT2: 490 (Q27 V31)
CAT3: 570 (Q39 V30)
CAT4: 580 (Q38 V32)
CAT5: 580 (Q36 V34)
After each test I took, I spent hours reviewing my errors. I sometimes even spent two days. After analysing everything I noticed two main things : I have difficulties getting DS questions right (I get more than 50% of them wrong) and I have problems to identify which concept is being tested - often when after seeing the concept I must use I can solve the problem.

Where I want to go
I am going to retake the GMAT in mid-January. I set my goal at 620+. I do feel it is reachable. However today I am stuck and I do not know what to do to improve my score and most importantly I do not know what I should focus on.

I am really exited to hear all the great advice you guys can give me. Thank you so much.

Hi,

This may sound absurd but here's something that you should do. Get away from everything for sometime. Go on a short vacation, read a nice book, listen to your favourite music and have a good time.

Come back and take a mock test. We are sure you are aware of your strong and weak areas. Just focus therefore on taking your score to where you want it to go. Here's one way by which you can do that. When you take a practise test, spend as much time if not more in analysing your performance. Typically if you spend 2 hours on a mock test, spend 4-5 hours in analysing it. Spend as much time as you want on each question and try to find a better way of doing the same. Take a note of all the points and make sure you apply them in the next test. Keep doing this repeatedly and we are hopeful that you will see your score going up.

Specifically for DS questions, it would be great if you can take some guidance from an expert or a senior who has successfully cleared GMAT.

Hope this helps. Wish you the best.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT plateau at 580! How to break through? [#permalink]