Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: GMAT Practice Test [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You should take an official practice test (never a company test) before you start, so you know what the real GMAT is about, so you can get a rough idea of how much time you'll need to reach your goal, and to determine how to apportion your time between Quant and Verbal study.

You'll find lots of suggestions about study plans if you search this or other GMAT forums. As long as you work from high quality materials (you should mainly use official questions for practice, but should find a good unofficial source for explanations) there are lots of different study plans that can work. You should work systematically through each topic until you feel comfortable with each, and once you feel confident in your foundation, be sure also to work on test-taking skills (pacing strategy especially).

You might want to deviate from a decent but generic study plan, depending on your background, current level, and target score, so with a bit more information experts here might be able to give you some guidance specifically catered to you.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Other, Other
GMAT 1: 790 Q59 V51
GRE 1: Q169 V170
GPA: 3.85
WE:Other (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Clayman,

The best thing you can do is to take a free Practice Test in an ONLINE environment, as this will better replicate the conditions and computer-adaptive nature of the Test-Day GMAT.

Kaplan offers a lot of Practice Test opportunities.

Hope this helps you!

Randy
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for the resources GMATPillBill!

Do you have any resources to advance my studies in verbal? After taking your practice test, I noticed that verbal was the weakest among my test scores.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi theclayman,

From your original post, it's not clear if you're planning to take the GMAT at the end of August or at the end of THIS month (June). Can you clarify your exact Test Date?

There are a variety of ways to study for the GMAT, so it's important to define your timeline and goals up-front:

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) Do you know which Schools you're going to apply to?

4) Have you done any GMAT studying yet or are you just starting out?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Sorry for the misunderstanding EMPOWERgmatRichC

My test is at the end of August. My goal score is 700+. My reasoning for taking the GMAT is not for business school at the moment. I currently attend a non-target school with a poor SAT score. I was hoping to use the GMAT to break into coveted positions in investment banking or management consulting. Do you think taking the GMAT would be the best approach?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you IanStewart and RandyBeeler!

Taking a practice test def. helped me understand where I stand!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi theclayman,

Taking the GMAT as a means to get onto a career path is an interesting idea - to THAT end, you'd certainly want to lock down a high Quant Scaled Score (I'd imagine a Q50 or Q51 is what a Top Investment Banking position would 'require.' As to whether using the GMAT for that purpose is the 'best approach' or not, I can't tell you. I imagine the best source for that type of information would be the companies themselves - the HR departments or Hiring Head(s) (or equivalent).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
theclayman wrote:
Thank you for the resources GMATPillBill!

Do you have any resources to advance my studies in verbal? After taking your practice test, I noticed that verbal was the weakest among my test scores.

Hey theclayman,

Based on your practice test, it seems that CR and RC are your biggest areas of weakness.

For CR, we recommend a visual framework approach to help you understand the complex short passages and how each item relates to each other.

Here is a sample video explaining the framework approach: https://www.gmatpill.com/criticalreasoni ... Estate.mp4

To improve RC - you really need visual guidance. Don't read articles about how to improve reading. You improve by actually doing or watching someone else do.

That's why you might find these video walkthroughs helpful: https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sounds good. Thank you EMPOWERgmatRichC and GMATPILLBILL !
GMAT Club Bot