Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep Advice 670 (in average) to 750? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi melisa1,

Thank you for reaching out, and I’m happy to help! I’m going to provide some general insight into GMAT studying that should answer most of your questions. First of all, I think it is a good idea to take a few days off and then dive back into your prep. Since it sounds as if you have put a lot of time and energy into your studying but have not seen the results you need, you may consider adjusting your study routine. Since you have a decent foundation in verbal and an above average grasp of quant, you do not need to start your studying from scratch.

When determining a new study routine you must remember that what makes the GMAT such a challenging exam is that there are relatively few questions asked in a given exam, yet those questions come from a huge topic pool. Thus, the best way to get a great GMAT score is to have a thorough understanding of all the topics that may be tested on the exam. To develop such mastery, you want to strive for linear and targeted learning and follow that with focused practice. In other words, you want to master one topic before you move to the next. Have you been able to study in this way?

For example, when studying verbal focus on learning one section at a time: reading comprehension, sentence correction, or critical reasoning. When learning about critical reasoning, for example, you want to learn all aspects of critical reasoning: strengthen and weaken the conclusion, resolve the paradox, find the conclusion, must be true, etc. Follow up your learning with focused critical reasoning practice, so you can determine your specific weaknesses within that topic. You should follow a similar routine for sentence correction and reading comprehension.

For quant, since you are already scoring at a high level, you might consider following a similar but slightly altered approach that consists of more focused practice. For example, if you are reviewing number properties, be sure that you can practice 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. The results of that practice will help you determine your weak areas within that topic. Once you find and fix your weak areas, then move on to the next quant topic.

To help diagnose your GMAT quant strengths and weaknesses, I welcome you to take my free 37-question quant diagnostic. After completing the diagnostic, you will be provided with a detailed analysis of your proficiency level of all GMAT quant topics, as well as an opportunity to discuss your diagnostic results with me or another TTP instructor/coach.

As far as study resources, you may consider using a self-study course rather than a book or class. Self-study courses are typically more robust than GMAT books, and they are more flexible that a GMAT class. If you would like to learn more about what online resources are available, check out the verified course reviews here or on Beat The GMAT. After doing some research you should be able to find a course that is a good fit for you.

Once you feel you have found and fixed your weaknesses, start taking Official MBA.com tests to track your progress. You can start with the two free exams. After that you can purchase exam pack 1 and exam pack 2. At this stage your practice test scores should be more consistent and more reflective of your GMAT score goal. Assuming you take all 6 MBA.com exams, I do not think you need to take any more than those.

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi melisa1,

First off, a 650/Q47 is a strong score (it's right around the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your score results show that you essentially performed the same way each time (+/- a few points). By extension, this means that 'your way' of approaching the Exam would likely continue to earn you a score in the mid-to-high-600s. To score at a much higher level, you're going to have adjust how you 'see' (and respond to) this Test - in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. The large number of questions that you had to guess on implies that you're using some inefficient Tactics against this Test - and taking far too long to answer questions (when other, faster approaches would get you to the correct answer). To hit the 750+ level, you'll likely need to invest in some new materials and learn/practice some new Tactics. I suspect that you would need another 2 months of consistent, guided study to get up to that level.

Since you're just coming out of your Test, I think that you should definitely take a few days 'off' to relax - approaching this next phase of the process with a clear head would be a good idea. Remember that the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. You're just going to have to adjust your routine a bit to earn that higher score. When you're ready to get back to it, you should post back here and we can talk through your timeline.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Rich,

Thank you for your response. I agree with your points 100%. I am applying to top 10 B-schools so I would like to make sure I do everything I can to prepare a great application. I am planning on getting back to studying on Monday. I will have to take the test once again in early October and hoping to increase my score at least 50-70 pts (if not my dream 750). [I can retake it again after October, just need to take it once again before my one R1 deadline]. This score is what I got after a very scattered on and off studying with no study plan. I am willing to study with consistency and invest in new tactics and materials. I would appreciate your input on my direction going forward from the materials you think would be beneficial for me to the amount of time I should invest in. At this point I am even trying to find the optimum hours I should study in one day.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi melisa1,

Have you scheduled your next GMAT yet? Depending on when in October we're talking about (earlier in the month vs. later in the month), the extra study time could be significant. Based on your specific situation, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients finish that Study Plan in under a month, so it would fit your schedule perfectly. During that time, you'll also be able to access any of the Quant resources that interest you (The Stage 1 Quant materials would likely help you to improve a great deal in the Quant section). We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot