Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
true. my friend is an i-banking analyst and she had very little time to study for the GMAT let alone the essays/app. I can't imagine being in her position working while trying to get a great GMAT score
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wonder if ad-coms cut people like i-bankers slack. I guess if an i-bankers are the "blue chip" types so there's already a screening process that's taken place, so the schools don't really need to see that the person is visiting the campus etc., the person is obviously very interested in schools like Wharton, Columbia, HBS etc...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Visiting a school--what difference does it really make? Does one go on advertising this fact on the essays. I for one could have done that, how is the adcom going to find it out? What is the 'real'impact of visiting anyways? Is it that one is visiting to see the adcom and tell them they wan to go that school and the adcom will write the name down? I mean other than knowing what the school is about and the expenses involved how does it impact admission?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hindustan wrote:
Visiting a school--what difference does it really make? Does one go on advertising this fact on the essays. I for one could have done that, how is the adcom going to find it out? What is the 'real'impact of visiting anyways? Is it that one is visiting to see the adcom and tell them they wan to go that school and the adcom will write the name down? I mean other than knowing what the school is about and the expenses involved how does it impact admission?

I don't know, I just like to see what I'm going to pay $140,000 over 2 years for. Would you ever buy a house without looking at it?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
jsnooky33 wrote:
Hindustan wrote:

I don't know, I just like to see what I'm going to pay $140,000 over 2 years for. Would you ever buy a house without looking at it?

Visiting makes sense after you get admitted.

I wouldn't pay commission fees or fly out to a house that may or may not be on the market. If it's on the market and I'm one of the top bidders, then I'll go visit.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Visiting if you can afford to us worth it. If nothing else it shows interest and a willingness to really learn about the school. Second you can usually get great tidbits of advice and information from students. Information you likely would have missed otherwise. At least in my case. Also if waitlisted you can write a pasionate letter about why you want to go there. I'd find it hard to believe someone really wanted to come to my school if they hadn't even visited .... Some exceptions of course ... Like if you live in Singapore.

Also you never know who you might meet. I know for a fact that my interactions with adcoms were something they remembered an about me. Assuming you don't botch this it can't hurt.

Finally, when time comes to write your essays doesn't it sound so much more true when you say you know the schools culture or students are a great fit if you actually visited ?

Sorry for typos I'm on a blackberry.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Some schools (like MIT) ask you on their application if you visited the school. Most other schools have records of whether or not you visited. Some schools want to improve their "yield" so if they don't think a student is really interested in their school (e.g. if they think the person is using it as a backup).

Obviously if you have to pay for an airline ticket or incur significant costs it might not make sense to visit until after you've been admitted, but I live in Boston which is close to New York and New Haven so if I didn't visit schools there, or the schools I'm applying to in Boston, it would look bad.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]