Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 00:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Good fit for NY schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Good fit for NY schools? [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 14:37
Hi there,

Was hoping for some feedback:

Demographics: Turning 25, Female, Canadian
Undergrad: Canadian business school (not elite but good energy rep) - Commerce with Distinction: Marketing
GPA: Overall 3.4; senior courses 3.8+
GMAT: Not taken yet but know I need a very strong score
Work Experience: Senior Analyst for a multinational oil corporation for 3 years (since graduating) dealing with large acquisitions, financial and strategic analysis for refining and marketing
Leadership: Led many intradepartmental projects/presentations, have mentored and managed several cooperative students
Extracurriculars: President of student marketing association in college where we went on case competitions and raised funds for charity; formed and currently lead a tennis club that helps children learn how to play (have many hobbies, but not much volunteering)
Goals: Consulting/strategic management with an energy focus for a McKinsey/BCG tier firm
Targets: Columbia, NYU

Does my single employer hurt? I have stayed in my same position, but I continually have different projects where I feel like I have had a broad and varied exposure to all business areas. I basically do "in house" consulting.

I have a friend currently at CBS who said my profile was fairly interesting given that I'm international and with specific industry goals so I'd have a good shot, but I wanted some expert advice if I'm deluding myself into thinking I'm a less prevalent profile.

Thanks! :-D
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good fit for NY schools? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 11:53
Expert's post
Neko,

Before I answer your other questions, I want to point out that if you are very interested in pursuing a particular firm, McKinsey for example, it's very important to speak to the career center to see if that firm recruits at the MBA program.

As an example, in terms of the big international consulting firms that recruit heavily, these MBA programs are most recruited at:

Harvard
MIT
Stanford
Kellogg
Chicago
Michigan
Wharton

Kellogg has an outrageous number of people going to McKinsey, for example. Many of these firms only recruit at select schools. Or they recruit at their top six schools and then will also do some more local recruiting for local offices.

It can be really difficult to land at McKinsey or BCG if you do not go to a school that they recruit at.

I hope this was of help. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Good fit for NY schools? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2011, 00:40
Hi

I think you have a good shot at making it to the schools you have chosen. However keep in mind the option syou would like to pursue pst your MBA and research on the options the school you choose offers. If you are only looking at McKinsey/BCG then you need to first find a place at their favoured schools. However if you are open to looking at other consulting firms then go ahead with your choice.

The Apphelp Global Team
www.apphelp.us

Apphelp Global

Visit us at: http://www.apphelp.us
Email: info@apphelp.us
Phone: +1 415 800 3436

Re: Good fit for NY schools?   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2011, 00:40