Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 20:30 It is currently 13 May 2024, 20:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30895 [1]
Given Kudos: 638
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: Got 680- journey has to be on [#permalink]
Kudos
Thank you abhasjha and e-gmat for the guidance.

But I never thought that strategizing and chalking out a plan for retake would be so difficult. I have been through so many debriefs for a 'win-it plan' but I guess everyone has to delve deep within to make a successful plan for themselves.

I have decided to take GMAT again after 5 weeks on 16 June 2014.

My queries :

1. 5 weeks sufficient time frame , I will be devoting 5 hours daily for GMAT studies.

Way forward for each section :

1. AWA : Read 2 essays daily from GMAT club jot down the important points I come across while reading.
Memorise the chineseburned template by heart. Give all mock tests along with AWA.

Is the plan OK experts?

2.IR : Go through E-gmat IR course module. First time I didn't study it .After finishing the course start practicing IR questions from GMAT club and GMAT prep software question bank.

Query : Where are the IR questions in OG 13 , in the copy I have it talks about what IR section is all about.

3. Quant : My current score in GMAT was Q 48 I am targeting a sure shot Q50 .

Query : Though I am an engineer but I am not too good in maths.I cant see through a problem and reach the solution as naturally as many engineers do [obviously for above average difficulty problems:( Tragic it may sound!!!]

I have identified following as my weak areas :-

1. Number systems : As the topic in itself is so diverse with a very limited theory , I will review the theory from MGMAT book one again and gmat club book.
After , do questions from 700-800 club question bank .

2.Word problem : I am really weak in TSD and work problems. SO I will review its fundamental again probably from CAT Arun sharma book

3.Geometry and algebra : I will straight away practice from 700-800 club question bank.

4.Probability ,PNC : UFFO!!!!!! this topic I dunno how to approach . Please guide , I cant do even the easiest of questions from this topic.

Verbal :

1.SC / CR / RC: Review of E-gmat course as per the schedule given.

2. Go though OG again .
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30895 [1]
Given Kudos: 638
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
But I never thought that strategizing and chalking out a plan for retake would be so difficult. I have been through so many debriefs for a 'win-it plan' but I guess everyone has to delve deep within to make a successful plan for themselves.

Yes - everyone has to do it. You cannot take someone's strategy and start following it. A good strategy has to be devised by you, is personalized to your needs and situation, and should leverage your strengths while devoting enough resources towards your weakness.

Quote:

1. AWA : Read 2 essays daily from GMAT club jot down the important points I come across while reading.
Memorise the chineseburned template by heart. Give all mock tests along with AWA.

Is the plan OK experts?

2.IR : Go through E-gmat IR course module. First time I didn't study it .After finishing the course start practicing IR questions from GMAT club and GMAT prep software question bank.

Query : Where are the IR questions in OG 13 , in the copy I have it talks about what IR section is all about.

I am sorry Poornima but if timing, CR and RC are your main problems when why are you focusing on AWA and IR. If you are looking for 720 then you need to aim for Q49, V40. Work required in both Verbal and Quant. If I were you here is what I would do (in complete plan, you should get the general idea and take it from there):

1. Look at the recording of strategy session 2. You can get it from our blog here. Understand A) Ability calculation and B) whether timing is really a problem. You can do that by looking at timing scenarios discussed there.

2. Start with RC - Do the reading strategies again, and then solve GMAT Prep question pack 1. In addition, purchase paper based tests from GMAC. Make sure that you follow the reading strategies, focusing on the transition words. When you solve a question, you should be very certain why that particular answer choice is correct (and why others aren't). Do at least 20 passages. At the end of this exercise, you should feel that you can tackle most RC passages.

3. Repeat the same with CR.

4. Take a mock test. Take one which you have not taken before.

5. AWA and IR would be a cakewalk once you have mastered CR - spend no more than 5 hours on AWA (take a template), and 10 hours on IR.

Focus on getting your score out of 800 up first. Then worry about AWA and IR.

-Rajat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
My comments in red
purnima wrote:
Thank you abhasjha and e-gmat for the guidance.

I have decided to take GMAT again after 5 weeks on 16 June 2014.

My queries :

1. 5 weeks sufficient time frame , I will be devoting 5 hours daily for GMAT studies.

Is the plan OK experts?
The template is one aspect, you also need to prethink arguments. For that i suggest using the OG prompts and prethink a few assumptions. You need not write each essay

Egmat is solid. You could also try Manhattan Gmat's new IR Tool. They launched it a week before I took my test, so i havent used it a lot but it looks promising
The OG13 - IR question are found online. The information and activation code is provided on the back page, next to OG12 cd.
Also try the GMATprep question bank, the IR questions are solid!

3. Quant : My current score in GMAT was Q 48 I am targeting a sure shot Q50 .

Query : Though I am an engineer but I am not too good in maths.I cant see through a problem and reach the solution as naturally as many engineers do [obviously for above average difficulty problems:( Tragic it may sound!!!] Doesn't !!

I have identified following as my weak areas :-

1. Number systems : As the topic in itself is so diverse with a very limited theory , I will review the theory from MGMAT book one again and gmat club book.
After , do questions from 700-800 club question bank .

2.Word problem : I am really weak in TSD and work problems. SO I will review its fundamental again probably from CAT Arun sharma book
Personally i would suggest not to. There are tons of official and relevant resources out there. Dont practice out of context it will just create more problems than help
3.Geometry and algebra : I will straight away practice from 700-800 club question bank.

4.Probability ,PNC : UFFO!!!!!! this topic I dunno how to approach . Please guide , I cant do even the easiest of questions from this topic.
Review basics (Gmat club math book is good, MGMAT/Kaplan books are good too). if you still have trouble understanding the concepts - don't go overboard, you wont get a lot of questions from this topic.
Verbal :

1.SC / CR / RC: Review of E-gmat course as per the schedule given.

2. Go though OG again .

Overall the plan looks good. Good job identifying weak areas, this is a big step towards improving your score
best-gmat-math-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-77291.html?fl=menu
gmat-math-book-87417.html
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3167 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I fully agree with the experts regarding the focus to be made in your next attempt.

Furthermore, you should work on verbal before working on quant since the jump from Q49-Q50 will cost you time which you can use for V35-V38.

For quant:
Follow user bunuel and practice quants using tests offered by gmat club

For verbal:
Practice is the key
Use OG's,Aristotle RC 99, Aristotle grail series, GMAT question packs

CR has fixed errors of reasoning, try to find out those.

SC has rules of grammar and meaning errors.

RC: More passages huge success

Mocks:
Additional mocks offered by GMAC: GMAT exam pack
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37416 posts