Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1538 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dear cs77

It is indeed admirable that you managed a 40V after going through a tough quant section. I only managed a 39V, but i never concentrated so hard and i even did ok on the Quant.

As for a retake, you should ask the experts, Linda Abraham and MBA Game Plan. You can get much more reliable info from them

When you discuss this question of a retake, share your entire profile ; from undergrad university and GPA, work experience and leadership positions to community service. Depending on what they say, decide what to do.

Hope this helps
Praet
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for your response, Praet. I think I will ask Linda and see what she has to say. you're right about including background info. Thks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi CS-

Congrats on your score. Your overall score is in the top 10% of all test takers so you should be proud.

I had a similar experience to you, in getting a good score but falling short in the quant. I took the test three times, and while my overall score increased each time, my quant score went from 57% to 79% to 66%.

I am applying to the Top 10 schools, and this is the one part of my application that I think is weak. I, too, have a liberal arts background (albeit from an Ivy League college) so I know the lack of quant "bookwork" will be a concern to them. (I have taken quant classes at night over the last year and done well in them, however).

Luckily we both have quantitative work experience to draw upon. Make sure to highlight this and dont focus too much on the GMAT quant. Remember - the GMAT is just one of 5-6 factors in the admissions process....and the quant breakdown is probably 70% of 1 of those 6 factors, so you're really looking at it weighing, at most 25% in your overall application (at least thats what I think).

I may go for the test one more time in the fall - just for kicks. Highly doubtful but maybe. But I doubt I'd ever break 80% quant regardless of how hard I tried.

Keep your head up!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
From what Linda gnerally says in the forum and from reading other articles, one can draw that GMAT is only one aspect that admission team looks at and your other leadership roles,experience and acheivements matter a lot. There are always some examples like a guy with 780-790 getting rejection where as another person with 650 getting admission.But again, only thing that we have control on is, GMAT score; everything else, you can not change in 2-3 months.If you have other things lined up well, then it wont make any sense to re-write gmat.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks jjomalls and GoalStanford for the advice. I think I may try and retake it sometime in August to see if I can improve. Hopefully I can if I really study on the quant section.

jjomalls, good luck with your apps, I am sure you will do great.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
A 680 is definitely a strong score and places you just below the mean at most of the elite schools. However, I would try to increase the quant sub score.

Advice on the GMAT varies, and some applicants place too much stress on this one factor. However, the GMAT is one of the few aspects of the application in which you can observe your performance relative to the universe of candidates before you submit your application.

Many applicants also probably put too much emphasis on students they have heard of with 800 level scores who were rejected. Often the students who submit very high scores are trying to compensate for extreme weaknesses in the rest of the application. These weaknesses caused the rejection, not the high GMAT score.

Hjort
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
I would not retake, personally.

680 is good enough for any school and with applications down this year, you can most definitely get into at least a few schools if you don't ruin your resume and essays.

GO For it!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I readily concede that the distribution of virtually every MBA program includes students with GMAT scores below 690. Thus, one could argue that a 680 is not a necessary condition for admission. Indeed, at some of the elite schools, about half of the students have GMATs below 680.

However, I think it is a safe guess that many of the people who post on this site are interested in maximizing their chances of admission not merely meeting some nebulous "admission sufficiency" theshold. Many students are rejected for having academic attributes (GPA and/or GMAT) that are too low, few are rejected for having academic attributes that are too high (although some less selective schools might do so to boost their yield - but query whether you would really want to attend a school that rejected applicants for being "too good" for that school).

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
CS77,
Do u think taking more (12 practice tests) made the difference. I have been taking the Kaplan tests for quite some time.Iam getting the same score over and over again. (540 to 570). This has been discouraging. GMAT is a couple of weeks away. am tensed and have serious doubts if I would even cross 650. :( Any inputs..
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think that many of us would agree that the Kaplan tests are not very representative of one's true performance on the test. Assuming you have used up all of your ETS exams, I would take some exams prepared by someone other than Kpln.

Hjort
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts