Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
indiansoccer007 wrote:
I finished the Quant in about 55 mins, Verbal in about 70 mins. My AWA was 5.5. When I saw my score, my jaw dropped, and I had to drink lots of water, I ended sweating up during the test...

I was just wondering, you just took the test and they gave you the AWA score right away? I thought that they gave the Q/V score right away, but that you had to wait to receive the AWA score in the mail.

I think 52 is the highest verbal score I have seen. Contgratulations :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
do they give out AWA immediately now?

maybe for students who scored 800..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
indiansoccer007 wrote:
I am so ecstatic, that I have lost my conciousness. I do not know where to begin.

My prev score was 690 a couple of years back. I was faced ina crisis then because there was a possibility of layoff, and so to hold on to living in the US, I had to get F1 visa, and so I just signed up without knowing how the test is structured. I got 690, and wasn't even sure whether this was good or bad. I wrote my essays to Berkeley for part time program in a day and submitted my application. I got in, but dropped the idea for going to school for my job looked stable.

Recently, I purchased:
--OGuide ETS 10th edition
--Kaplan CD Higher Score
--ARCO

After reading the verbal instructions in OG and Kaplan book, I gave a test from the CD. I scored 740.

Since verbal was my weak point (math was always easy, I used to finish Quantitative in 50-55 mins), I stressed on that. I completed about 100 questions each from the CR, SC, RC questions in OG and did all three Kaplan CD tests.
Scores:
CD test 1: 740
CD test 2: 770
CD test 3: 720

ETS CD Test 1: 780
ETS CD Test 2: 760

By know I had a fair idea and was expecting about 750 in the test.

Overall I prepared for 1.5 months.
My test center was Fair Oaks, CA...near Sacramento. There was no one in the center taking a test, so I was lucky, no noise.

I finished the Quant in about 55 mins, Verbal in about 70 mins. My AWA was 5.5. When I saw my score, my jaw dropped, and I had to drink lots of water, I ended sweating up during the test...

Few tips:
--A hot environment may have helped. Last time I did the test was in the Bay Area and the center was cold and freezing.
--I read the RC passages 2 times before answering the questions.
--SC was easy. CR was avg.
--Quant was easy, about 4 questions on permutations of which 2 of these were in the end. 2 questions on sequences and series questions where you need to find the sum of a sequence. I already knew formulas.

I have become so confused now, that I am in a fix where to apply, Harvard or Stanford. My cousin, who is a tutor scored 790 last year. He teaches Math. I took some of his guidance. That's that.

Let me know if you have any more questions! I still need to re-collect myself and come down to earth.

Dude, 1st of all congrats!...

well did u giv ur test today??....how come u got ur AWA score?......
:roll:
ur scene is a bit :? :? :shock: :shock:

what was ur gmatprep score?? ( one by pearson)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes. Earlier it used to be sent by mail. Or they do this for 800 scores, I don't know. I have always not cared about AWA. I am glad I have both the scores. I'll scan the copy when I get a chance from Kinko's and post it up here. I am not sure if that is legally right to do so?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Man you missed near perfect... 6.00 on AWA along with 800 would have been perfect..

Any one ever score a 52 in Quant????
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
:shock:

Fair Oaks doesn't have the GMAT center any more... where did you take the test when you got 800???

congrats... like many... I'm speechless...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Some more details:

Quantitative--
I found Q3 and Q7 to be relatively hard. Towards the end, I think Q38 was extremely hard. Permutations/Combinations with Series.

Verbal--
SC's were easy. CR was ok, a little harder than SC's. RC's were a breeze, only if you read it two times. Once I started answering the RC's I never had to look back at the passage. I don't believe in skimming trhough the passage or techniques like reading the first and last line of each para. Read all, absorb all of it, as if you were the passage yourself.
On the whole, I don't think any Verbal question stumped me, surprisingly enough for my verbal has been a shade lower than my Quant.

I want to lend by thanks to all well wishers on this forum. I was on of those who followed the forum closely, but hardly participated. I think this is a wonderful forum.

Remember, GMAT should not be made life, and do not focus or think about results. Results will show up anyways. Do you deed, leave rest to the almighty. As said in Bhagvad Gita: 'Do your prescribed duty, without thinking on the fruitive results.' In other words, do your 'karm'. Don't be attached to the results of it.

An inspiring listen: https://www.gitamrta.org/bg.htm
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fair Oaks/Citrus Heights. Try the latter. I live in Fair Oaks.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
indiansoccer,

to be precise geeta says "karma kiye jaa, phal ki icha mat kar"

is that right?

I am very happy for you man!!!!

It is too good... I am on 660.......... So I know your feeling of going from 690 to 800...........

waavvvvvvvvvvv
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Folks,
I'll be going out for a few days for camping and take a breather.
Also planning next strategic moves for Stanford and Harvard. Probably will fly down to Harvard to meet the faculty and start engagement, assuming they are back from vacations.

I am sure many of you can reach 800, but somehow get bogged down or start thinking too much about your scores while doing the test. This is a big no-no.

Meanwhile, best of luck to all, nothing is impossible.

OM SHANTI to all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats on this phenominal feat!!

gmatclub would be glad to have you around helping others achieve their dream scores!

Regards
Vithal
|| Class of 2007 ||
|| Indian School of Business || Hyderabad - 500 019 || India
|| Ph: +91 40 23188371 || Cell: +91 984933 7299 ||
||mailto:vithal_donakonda@pgp2007.isb.edu ||
https://www.isb.edu
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I hate to sound bitter or anything, because really I'm not, but something smells fishy here and I'm not the first person to point it out.

According to the OG, talking about how the AWA is scored, "The readers who evaluate the responses are college and university faculty members from various subject matter areas, including management education. These readers read holistically ...". I'm certain that they do not treat a 200 any differently than an 800 when it comes to releasing scores. Do they have people reading as test-takers are finishing the exam now?

So, I'm going to ask again, just as others have asked in this thread, has anyone else who has taken the test recently been given their AWA score right away?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I took the gmat on July 24, and just received my AWA scores today. Of course I DIDN'T score an 800 so maybe things are different for that uber-elite group.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
indiansoccer007 wrote:

well... I tried... and unfortunately the closest location is in Roseville... and I just happen to live in the same area you are claiming... what I know is that Fair Oaks center belongs to ETS and since Pearson Vue administers the test now there is no way you could have taken GMAT in Fair Oaks today, yesterday or any day in 2006... unless it was GRE... you should of been more clear on this.

I'd like to believe you with all my heart and be happy that someone did score 800, but this just doesn't sound right... in addition, 800 scorers are no special from others and I don't think they receive AWA on the spot... we all pay 250$ for this and why would you be treated any different :dunnow if anything... I bet GMAT people would wait to give you perfect score to verify that it was what you got...

I can talk about some other dubious details in your post, but I think the location dilemma speaks for itself... may be it should of been your job to verify this before posting.

unless you can explain this, I have doubts about your 800 score in 2006.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
indiansoccer007 wrote:
Some more details:

Quantitative--
I found Q3 and Q7 to be relatively hard. Towards the end, I think Q38 was extremely hard. Permutations/Combinations with Series.

As far as I know, there are only 37 question in Quant. Either you remember it wrong or GMAT inserts some extra question for high caliber people. :roll: :roll:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ditto on that U2!!
Add me to the list of skeptical...

And believe me I wish more of us at the club form the Perfect800 Club, just as the 700+ club.

Here's wishing for more "verifiable" perfect 800s!

u2lover wrote:
indiansoccer007 wrote:

well... I tried... and unfortunately the closest location is in Roseville... and I just happen to live in the same area you are claiming... what I know is that Fair Oaks center belongs to ETS and since Pearson Vue administers the test now there is no way you could have taken GMAT in Fair Oaks today, yesterday or any day in 2006... unless it was GRE... you should of been more clear on this.

I'd like to believe you with all my heart and be happy that someone did score 800, but this just doesn't sound right... in addition, 800 scorers are no special from others and I don't think they receive AWA on the spot... we all pay 250$ for this and why would you be treated any different :dunnow if anything... I bet GMAT people would wait to give you perfect score to verify that it was what you got...

I can talk about some other dubious details in your post, but I think the location dilemma speaks for itself... may be it should of been your job to verify this before posting.

unless you can explain this, I have doubts about your 800 score in 2006.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ok.. that settles it!

I hadn't read the post about Quant question 38...

On the side of erring, I don't believe this person, indiansoccer007! Sorry buddy, but you didn't get the perfect score...

indiansoccer007, Too bad you get your kicks by such posts...

Praetorian, you should read this post and make it an example of some poster's foolishness.

ps_dahiya wrote:
indiansoccer007 wrote:
Some more details:

Quantitative--

As far as I know, there are only 37 question in Quant. Either you remember it wrong or GMAT inserts some extra question for high caliber people. :roll: :roll:
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6