Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
The last time I heard of the "traditional" A, B, C, D, F system was when I got a D in handwriting class in third grade, are there colleges that actually use this system?

I think most admissions committees are familiar with different grading scales whether they're international or unorthodox so I don't think you'll be disadvantaged.

(Was that first paragraph reminiscent of the Harvard pr*ck in Good Will Hunting who's busting Ben Affleck's b*lls in the bar?)

I know UF still uses the traditional GPA system, since my brother goes there, I assume there are others.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
agsfaltex wrote:
Grades is not going to be the reason if you don't get in! Most schools have their own ways of normalizing the various grading systems and strength of programs.

Are you just refering to my situation? Although I would have to agree the biggest damage may be the school I go to, although it is a state school, but not anywhere near one. I just went since it was pretty much free.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GPA with minus grades [#permalink]
Rhyme, I'm sorry you misunderstood me and what I am talking about. I respect you and your comments on this board this is nothing against you but you certainly have not been exposed to this. There is NO such thing is this system of an A+. Absolutely nothing. I believe some schools institute this to help prop up middle of the road people however the top people who normally earn all A's this does not help whatsoever. In fact in a school like this a C- is not passing where at another school that same grade would have been considered. I acknowledge that yes in some cases the minus and plus system helps people however for me it doesn't.

I personally assumed the A, B, C, D, F system to be traditional. I only assumed maybe it is not however for simplicities sake I referred to it so people could understand what I am saying.

So you know what I am referring to:
Traditional:
A: 90-100 = 4.0
B: 80-90 = 3.0
C: 80-70 = 2.0
and so on.

Minus and Plus
A:92/94(depends on school and class) - 100 = 4.0
A-:92-90 = 3.66
B+:88-90 = 3.33
B:82-88 = 3.00

Between the two systems you can easily convert the grades, well only easy when you go from a "minus and plus" to a "traditional". A grade at my school that is an A- or A would be a A using the other system. You would certainly have to take into account all the grades B+ and the other pluses. However I repeat there is NO SUCH THING as a A+.

I was not debating a 3.82 versus a 3.98, I was just asking. Good lord you would have thought I killed someone with the way you are coming at me.

And no I am not trying to lower the achievements of someone who goes to a "better" school. I am simply raising another point. Great you went to a good school but....

Rhyme, I don't want to sound like a dick and I am sorry if I come off that way. I do aprreciate your comments and hopefully you won't have to come and attack me again. Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
3.82 vs 3.98 or even 3.8 vs. 4.0 is a non-issue. In fact, I personally think GPAs are overrated in our perceptions of how much they matter in admissions.

Focus on the rest of the app., which is way more important.

Hope it helps. L.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
3.82 vs 3.98 or even 3.8 vs. 4.0 is a non-issue. In fact, I personally think GPAs are overrated in our perceptions of how much they matter in admissions.

Focus on the rest of the app., which is way more important.

Hope it helps. L.

Thats what I figured but I was just wondering if they take into account the different ways schools calculate GPAs since there seems to be no one standard.

Originally posted by lngbrdr on 03 Apr 2007, 13:56.
Last edited by lngbrdr on 03 Apr 2007, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
That was a little harsh, but I will agree with Rhyme's point that for the purposes of applying to business school, there will be no difference between 3.82 v. 3.98 - I think this is common knowledge to all that frequent this board. I see that you're new here lngbrdr.

I think you hit upon it in your own question, there are just too many variables for GPA to carry much weight in the process. There are differences in grading systems (A-F, 1-5, 1-10, percentages, I've heard of a bunch), and there's no consistency between schools, majors, possible grade inflation, different standards around the world, etc.

Since there's no way to really compare grades, I believe a more general approach is used by most schools. They look at grades in combination with the quality of a school, then factor in any knowledge they may have regarding the difficulty of a major and/or grade inflation, and then they probably categorize the result generally. The key question they want to answer is whether someone can handle the MBA program, and might award brownie points for people that have clearly excelled in past academics. The specifics of actual grades are meaningless because there is so much variability they cannot account for.

Anyhow, my conclusion is the same as Rhyme's - don't worry about it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
I see that you're new here lngbrdr.

Yep I'm new. I just found this forum a couple of days before I took the GMAT so I couldn't really take advantage of the good tips and all, ohh well. I did pretty well on my first attempt though with a 680 Q47 and V37 AWA 5.5. Kind of changed my plans as I am still in undergrad I am going to end up getting some professional experience and try for a top 25 school. My top pick is Michigan but thats a long time away. Right now I am just learning about the whole application process.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
lngbrdr wrote:
pelihu wrote:

Yep I'm new. I just found this forum a couple of days before I took the GMAT so I couldn't really take advantage of the good tips and all, ohh well. I did pretty well on my first attempt though with a 680 Q47 and V37 AWA 5.5. Kind of changed my plans as I am still in undergrad I am going to end up getting some professional experience and try for a top 25 school. My top pick is Michigan but thats a long time away. Right now I am just learning about the whole application process.

Hey sorry if I came across as harsh, didn't mean to..... its the limits of an online interaction... you have a 3.80, you shouldn't even be fretting :) I've deleted my post as a sign of goodwill.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
lngbrdr wrote:
pelihu wrote:

Hey sorry if I came across as harsh, didn't mean to... you have a 3.80, you shouldn't even be fretting :)

I suppose your right. But for me any GPA point I can get is useful since I don't go to a really good undergrad so there may be questions of my ability to cope with the more demanding courses.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
lngbrdr wrote:
rhyme wrote:
lngbrdr wrote:
pelihu wrote:

Hey sorry if I came across as harsh, didn't mean to... you have a 3.80, you shouldn't even be fretting :)

I suppose your right. But for me any GPA point I can get is useful since I don't go to a really good undergrad so there may be questions of my ability to cope with the more demanding courses.

Well, unless you are attending the Hawaiian School of Underwater Basket Weaving, I wouldn't worry. And anyway, there's an easy way for you to dispel that truth if you really really are worried about it (though I'd argue you probably dont need to be) -- just take an econ or accounting or stats course through a top schools distance learning option - UCLA, for instance, I believe, lets you do online courses.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
i actually asked tuck admissions this question a few years ago and they said they just look a the numbers and not the +/-. so i guess it depends on whether your school calculates gpa using the +/-. my school was a in a stupid transition period where they had +/- on grades but did not factor it into gpa calculation.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]