Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hadnt planned on another profile review, but yours are great

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Hadnt planned on another profile review, but yours are great [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 14:26
Hi Alex,

I hadn't originally planned on looking for another profile review, but like many of the other people on the boards here have developed a case of similar-profile stalking. Came across a couple of your reviews and thought they were great. The honesty with a sense of humor really adds to the arena. Can you take a shot at mine?

Here's my application lineup:

Fuqua: Submitted EA
Darden: Submitted R1
UNC KF: R2
Johnson: R2

Scott S
Male
25 (26 at matriculation)
Caucasian - US
GMAT: 710 (Q40, V47, AWA 6). Can craft a strong argument based on undergrad and work/certifications experience that I can handle the quantitative rigors of an MBA program.
Undergrad: 3.46 BS Accounting, The College of New Jersey (very good if you're from NJ, realize the name doesn't carry tremendously)
Additional: Licensed CPA, Active

Work:
- Public Accounting (Big 4 - Audit, Tax) for 2.5 years (Up to 3 direct reports)
- With an eventual switch to general management in mind, moved to an accounting management position in a Fortune 50 company earlier this year (2 direct reports). Will have 15 months by matriculation, total of 43 months.

Career Goals:
- Leadership Development Program within the healthcare sector. Had a great internship at Johnson & Johnson, served for 1.5 years on the Schering-Plough/Merck audit teams. Will be looking to use my accounting base while expanding on my current narrow focus.

Community/Extracurricular:
- Treasurer/Financial Officer for a church ($125K annual budget)
- Founded a competitive Club Cycling Team as undergrad
- Regular speaker for state accounting society. Maintained a blog documenting experiences with CPA exam that has now received 50,000+ hits.

Recommendations:
- Partner, Big 4 firm - Higher level, but worked significantly with and maintain a close personal friendship with as well
- Senior Consultant, Big 4 firm - Immediate supervisor on my largest client, received numerous accolades under.

Many thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Hadnt planned on another profile review, but yours are great [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 22:07
Honestly, I think you should be able to get into at least a few of the schools on your list assuming you do a decent job on the written applications and interviews. The "stretch" schools for you are top 8 schools like Kellogg, Chicago and Tuck - schools where you will need some luck, but where you still have enough of a shot of getting in that it's worth applying (maybe choose 1 or 2 schools) as there are certainly folks with similar backgrounds as yours at these schools (just less so).

And don't be hatin' on Jersey. You gotta represent.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Re: Hadnt planned on another profile review, but yours are great [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 10:31
Jersey born and bred my man, hah. All love, just want to be realistic about where the UG degree came from, its not Ivy - although from other alums I hear that adcoms generally look favorably on TCNJ.

Many thanks, if for some reason I'm playing this game again next year and decide to go for one of those real reach schools I'll certainly be looking you up.
Re: Hadnt planned on another profile review, but yours are great   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2009, 10:31