Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

LBS Global Master in Management or HEC Paris MiM?

66% [2]
33% [1]
Tags:
HEC Parisx   LBSx   
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: LBS (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: HEC Paris MiM vs LBS Global MiM [#permalink]
Kudos
Being Swiss, I ended up picking the SIM at St.-Gallen (decisions just came out), but without knowing if that would work out I had already picked HEC over LBS. Unlike you, I applied for the one-year MIM instead of the GMIM, and I definitely did not feel confident interviewing for decent positions after three months in London; a two-year LBS MIM would have been a better fit in that regard. Having grown up speaking French/with mostly French culture, I did not have much of an issue with the pro-French aspect and France-centric opportunities.

The brand issue is a little weird. On the one hand, LBS is definitely known worldwide for its MBA so it's a little hard to gauge the MIM's recognition. On the other hand, HEC is known for its MIM but is trying hard to catch up and develop its MBA (think national competition with INSEAD). It seems like business school reputation is based mostly on MBA visibility, but that might change as MIMs become more popular worldwide - especially in the US.

My opinion is that, although LBS has enjoyed a tremendous reputation over the last 10-15 years, HEC is actually going to catch up over the next 5-10 years. HEC is already on board with LSE and NYU with their #1 EMBA and is apparently trying to merge the best of its MIM and EMBA into an equally well-regarded MBA. Furthermore, HEC and LBS MIMs are definitely in the same tier in Europe. HEC has probably the biggest presence in London after UK schools and its students are definitely competitive in other European cities. The issue is a little different abroad as the Americas and Asia have not been as exposed to HEC students/alumni, but I would expect the gap to tighten.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '17 (M$)
Send PM
Which program is the best choice reputation-wise? LBS - strategy consulting it's pretty clear including MBB.
Which program suits my overall career aspirations best? Either will help you get you there - strategy consulting in a major European city - note that LBS will place more students into London, with HEC more into Paris. Nothing stops you from applying to another office however.
Which school offers the more enjoyable living and study environment? That's a tough question to answer as its a pretty personal decision. At HEC you will likely be around more people your age with the undergrad strength. However at LBS you are in the school with mostly MBAs who will be 5 odd years more senior. So perhaps a slight age thing to be aware of...

P.S.: The financial factor also plays a role of course. It's approx. 54.000€ for LBS GMiM vs. approx. 26.000€ for HEC MiM.
Yep - that's always going to be a tough one - I certainly think you'll get your moneys worth at LBS so up to you really to decide if HEC is better value for money.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you both for your answers so far!

Currently I am tilting more towards HEC, especially due to the tremendous cost advantage. But I am having doubts regarding a possible language barrier here - I speak some very basic French, but that's about it. Can anybody tell wether that would be a huge disadvantage in terms of social life at HEC?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '17 (M$)
Send PM
Kudos
No -S ocial wise i think you will be fine - you'll have to do intensive french course whilst on the MiM - however it will be a problem if you are looking for a job in France. You need to be pretty fluent to get a role, particularly in consultancy.

Thus you will likely be applying for London offices where LBS is better placed to help you (HEC will still give you an opportunity but you will miss all the networking opportunities with the London offices of consultancy firms held for LBS students).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
It is all going to depend upon where you see yourself working, post-MBA. LBS will help you more in the English speaking countries, though HEC will certainly get you a job in France, and be more valued than LBS there. In terms of China, English will more than likely be the intermediary language. Both schools are excellent though in their worldwide reputation, and I would just make sure that you consider where your alumni contacts will be concentrated, as well, in order to maximize the benefit.

[I'm a former Harvard interviewer, and a Harvard grad and currently run the MBA admissions firm www.MBAIvyLeague.com out of Manhattan.]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hey

Some people have suggested that French or some other European language would be a must to have a successful career post MiM from HEC. Is that true?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts