Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 02:01 It is currently 12 May 2024, 02:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which MIM do you think is best?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 635 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
HEC vs INSEAD MIM +(St. Gallen) [#permalink]

Marte333 wrote:
­Hi, recently I've been accepted to both INSEAD and HEC MIMs and in a couple of weeks I'll know about St Gallen. These MIMs are at the top of the game and tbh I really can't decide. I've spoken to current and students and alumni from both unis and feedback is very positive from both (no surprise). They also have very good career services, very good reputations and very good placement and starting salaries after graduation... So I really don't know how to choose.

I would love to hear your opinion/experience/point of view.

About me:

22M, Italian but also speak French and English both C1 certified. graduated for Bocconi university in July 2023 with a bachelor in management. Since my graduation I've been working in sales for a company in Lithuania in the pharmacy sector. I would like to start my career outside Italy and preferably somewhere with high salaries (Switzerland, Luxembourg, Singapore, Dubai etc...). I'm interested in strategy consulting (preferably in MBB), but I'm also open to other positions.

About the Masters:

As mentioned in the introduction, they are top schools.

HEC: 2 years + almost everyone lives on campus (since it's pretty isolated) = very strong personal relationships = very strong and "dense" network. Very cool double degrees, but there is another selection for them and chances of getting into the cool one are slim. possibility of a gap year between 1st and 2nd year to do internships or whatever. Tbh I' worried that it might be a bit too focused on France and not much attention in international careers. how is it seen internationally?

INSEAD: 1 year, so you start your career earlier and should therefore progress faster (but does 1 year really make a difference in the long run?). Very large and very international network thanks to the prestigious MBA. VERY international school. MIM programme is new so track record isn't as strong and some HR might be more cautious? 4 months in Singapore which is a great place to live and for sure staying there for some time will help you find a job.

ST GALLEN: (idk if I'm accepted yet), unbeatable in Switzerland (50% of entry level hires in MBB in CH are from st gallen) but it's kinda limited to the DACH region and I'm worried because I don't speak German. Similar consideration as HEC for the 2 years structure (with optional gap year) and DD options.

PLEASE HELP ME!!! (-:­

­Marte333 Many many congratulations on the stellar admits :)

I love this question here an would like to share my nuanced thoughts.

INSEAD: When INSEAD was planning its first MiM cohort, I was still in Fontainebleau (in 2019). The MiM concept seemed absurd to us MBA folks at the time, and a group of us asked the people in charge for clarification about INSEAD's plan for the MiM and its goals. We were informed that INSEAD had identified a gap in the market that it wanted to fill with the MiM program. This gap is evident in your comparison of the three programs. HEC's MiM program is traditionally considered the most prestigious, but it requires a significant time commitment to complete a MiM degree. Does today's generation have that level of patience? This is a question worth asking. INSEAD recognized this and tapped into the market to help young candidates worldwide who are looking for a first-class brand association early in their career. With its solid alumni network from the MBA and GEMBA programs, INSEAD supported the first cohorts of MiM graduates. The INSEAD MiM is essentially meant for individuals who don't need an intensive academic experience but want to quickly expand their professional network on a global scale. So ask yourself whether you prefer a fast-track management program or a more intensive program.

HEC Paris: 
If you know a little about the French corporate sector, the MBA is a relatively new concept. When the HEC MiM was created more than two decades ago, a Master's degree from one of the prestigious schools (grande ecoles) was considered equivalent of having "made it" in life. The Master in Management was created with the same idea, to combine the same prestige with a management degree, at a time when the MBA was not so popular in France. In traditional French companies, you either had Grande Echole graduates in the coveted positions or you simply moved up the ranks. Once you had over 20  years of experience, companies sponsored you for exceutive MBAs from the best B-schools. An MBA for a mid level employee was not seen as a wise decision. I had a French manager at a very traditional French company who did not provide me an LOR for my MBA because he didnt agree with my decision. :)

HEC Paris is an excellent MiM program that has a good pace (maybe a little too long) and gives you the opportunity to get to know your peer group well, build close relationships with your fellow students, and do internships. This is a great program for someone who really wants to live in France and the surrounding area long-term. People who study at HEC MiM have much more clarity about their long-term interests than folks who do shorter programs because who feel the need to get their bearings quickly and take the next steps. Since you are from Italy and have a good knowledge of French, this could be a great program, unless you find the long commitment a bit cumbersome.

St Gallen: 
I am not too well versed with the program, but I will agree the program is great if you are considering Switzerland for the long term. 

Worried about your odds at the Top Business Schools? get personalized advice tailored to your unique circumstances. Reapplying? Get a free ding analysis

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
 ­
 ­
GMAT Club Bot
HEC vs INSEAD MIM +(St. Gallen) [#permalink]
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts