Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 06:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Here's my understand of the differences between a main idea,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Here's my understand of the differences between a main idea, [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 01:17
Here's my understand of the differences between a main idea, purpose, and central content.

The central content of the passage is basically what the passage is about. The topic.

The main idea of the passage is its conclusion; or in other words, it's author's position on the central content. The point. The main idea is usually stated directly.

The purpose of the passage/author can be any of the following:
- persuade the reader about the main idea
- to inform the reader about the topic of the passage
- to compare something
- to refute a theory
- etc.

In sum, it's why the author decided to write the passage. The purpose is not stated directly.

I have noticed that the GMAT interchanges these terms.

Your inputs would be appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Main Idea vs Purpose vs Central Content of the passage [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 00:39
If I try to decipher the meaning from these phrases, I may agree with you. However, I won't try to do that because I think all the GMAT questions asking you for either of these (main idea, purpose, and central content. ) should be treated in the same manner and answer choices will be articulated for different type of phrases.

Correct me if you think otherwise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: Main Idea vs Purpose vs Central Content of the passage [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 03:20
I think they are basically the same as far as the approach is concerned. I just wanted to make it clear because people can be a little bit confused about the language.
Re: Main Idea vs Purpose vs Central Content of the passage   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2011, 03:20