Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Economics, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Hi Guys - your opinions are much appreciated [#permalink]
Thanks a lot for your response; you've put me at ease about some of my concerns.

I agree that the details of my goals need to be worked on a bit more. What pointers would you give about communicating a strong set of ambitions?
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Expert Reply
HTale wrote:
Thanks a lot for your response; you've put me at ease about some of my concerns.

I agree that the details of my goals need to be worked on a bit more. What pointers would you give about communicating a strong set of ambitions?

Hello,

I like this question :)

Pointers for ambitions :

1) Your essays about your goals must scream of your passion for the same.
2) Your concrete actions to achieve your ambitions (e.g. if you took some special course to improve a specific skill set that helped you to achieve your ambition/goal)
3) If any sacrifices given by you to achieve your ambition

there could be many more depending on your story :)

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi HTale,
I agree with most of the advice that's already been given. Of the schools you mention, however, which ones are your top? There seems to be a pretty decent spread among them, so I was curious. Also, is there a reason you're not applying to Stanford, HBS, or Kellogg? Your credentials seem pretty strong, so I wondered if there was a reason for that.

IMO, your GPA is solid. Not a big concern. Strong program, and good (quant) major. Any concern here is offset by your quant work history and solid GMAT score.

Your focus needs to be your focus. There's something about the trajectory of your work and ECs that is difficult to follow. Prbly b/c you've done so much! Just make sure there's a "story" to what you've done and where you're going. The numbers are in-line. It's the storytelling that will get you in.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Youngjames wrote:
Hi HTale,
I agree with most of the advice that's already been given. Of the schools you mention, however, which ones are your top? There seems to be a pretty decent spread among them, so I was curious. Also, is there a reason you're not applying to Stanford, HBS, or Kellogg? Your credentials seem pretty strong, so I wondered if there was a reason for that.

IMO, your GPA is solid. Not a big concern. Strong program, and good (quant) major. Any concern here is offset by your quant work history and solid GMAT score.

Your focus needs to be your focus. There's something about the trajectory of your work and ECs that is difficult to follow. Prbly b/c you've done so much! Just make sure there's a "story" to what you've done and where you're going. The numbers are in-line. It's the storytelling that will get you in.

Hi Youngjames,

Thanks for your response. To be honest, I never gave Stanford or HBS much thought, but on consideration I think I will give HBS a shot. My real focus is on Wharton and Chicago. I have a pre-conceived notion that Kellog is a fantastic school, but that Chicago edges it in terms of the number of finance placements. As an alum, you'll be in the best possible position to either confirm or dispel that misgiving. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi HTale,
I think your perceptions are still accurate re: Chicago v. Kellogg. Personally, I think both programs are very strong on quant and financial courses. Kellogg has made a strong focused, and concerted effort to improve in this area. And I think even the new dean is a former Finance prof, which goes to show you how seriously they take it. The reality, however, is that among recruiters, there's still a perception that Kellogg is where you go for mktg and gen mgmt students, but chicago is where you go for finance and acctg candds. I actually went to chicago as an undergrad, so consider myself pretty unbiased about it. But I think that remains the perception.

Hope that's useful,
-james young
GMAT Club Bot