Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: how about JD MBA? [#permalink]
Thank you for the info bb :) There are just simply very little info out there regarding the prospects of doing a JD/MBA joint degree out there. From what little I gathered, if I am ever to pursue a JD it will most likely be through PT since I have no intention of being a lawyer/pass the bar and only look at it to complement my MBA and open some doors in the corporate world, given that I'll have some more world experience under my belt

I don't think (at least I haven't came across any yet) there are really any traditional MBA jobs out there for that specifically gear toward JD/MBA grad, my thinking is that it would be useful for anyone who has significant work experience and is looking to take on a consulting/advising or general management role and the JD can provide the legal background that is often needed for such positions, especially at the more senior level

My view on this is probably overly simplistic and correct me if I am wrong, but it seem to make more sense to pursue a PT JD when the need arise (have a few years work exp and MBA degree under the belt and is looking to advance in career in the field mentioned above) rather than a JD/MBA joint degree right out of the gate

Edit: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/02 ... t-for-you/

Here's some additional info if anyone is interested
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I'm enrolled in the JD/MBA at Northwestern Law/Kellogg. Happy to answer questions.

pposasi wrote:
wondering the admits are in the same pool with 2year MBA.......

I can tell you that JD-MBA admits at Northwestern are evaluated as a somewhat separate pool, but admission to the program is generally a bit more competitive than the 2 year MBA.

At other schools I applied to it seemed like the applications were evaluated as part of the 2 year pool. For instance, I heard back from Wharton well before I heard back from UPenn Law.

ariz3260 wrote:
My view on this is probably overly simplistic and correct me if I am wrong, but it seem to make more sense to pursue a PT JD when the need arise (have a few years work exp and MBA degree under the belt and is looking to advance in career in the field mentioned above) rather than a JD/MBA joint degree right out of the gate

I don't advocate pursuit of a JD/MBA unless you have a concrete career trajectory which will benefit from both degrees. However, I would say that anyone who does think they want both should do them at once. Even part time, law school is a major time investment that cannot be pursued in combination with a taxing job. It is worth getting both degrees done when it can be combined with MBA studies to reduce the total amount of time in school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
going through law school part time with absolutely no intention of being a lawyer is ridiculous. do not do this.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bdubs wrote:
I don't advocate pursuit of a JD/MBA unless you have a concrete career trajectory which will benefit from both degrees. However, I would say that anyone who does think they want both should do them at once. Even part time, law school is a major time investment that cannot be pursued in combination with a taxing job. It is worth getting both degrees done when it can be combined with MBA studies to reduce the total amount of time in school.

I do agree that the time investment require to complete a JD is a major hurdle probably for a majority of people who have ever comtemplate this path. Looking at my present career goal, I just don't see how a law degree would fit into what I want to be doing in both short and long term if my career is going the I thought it would.

However, a small part of me (well, perhaps not so small) does want to pursue a law degree out of interest and curiosity. If it so happens that my career will benefit from it, all the more reason to take it up.

For the time being, it remains a pipe dream that I might revisit again some time in the future...

bdubs, if you don't mind me asking, what is your career goal in attaining a JD/MBA joint degree? Do you have a law background? What is the prospect of finding a job that would utilize both the skills and knowledge you'll gain from JD/MBA?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
ariz3260 wrote:
bdubs, if you don't mind me asking, what is your career goal in attaining a JD/MBA joint degree? Do you have a law background? What is the prospect of finding a job that would utilize both the skills and knowledge you'll gain from JD/MBA?

I was in an area of consulting that overlaps substantially with legal work. I'm planning to practice law for a few years and then transition to corporate work, hopefully in an area where law and strategy overlap.

As far as I know there are no jobs that require a JD/MBA, and most dual degree students choose from among the traditional jobs (big law firm, finance, consulting, etc..) It's difficult to quantify the value of the dual degree over a career, but I think it helps to differentiate you relative to those who just have a law degree.

I can only think of a few niche areas of finance where the dual degree would be a big boost, but there are probably others that I'm just not aware of too. MBB consulting positions also tend to be pretty competitive so a dual degre might help differentiate you as a candidate there as well. Not clear how or why a JD would help you in the long run in those positions though.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you for the input :) It seems to make sense for JD students to pursue an MBA instead of the other way around not only in terms of time investment (3 yrs for JD alone plus a yr for MBA - time investment is not as significant as it is for MBA, 1 yr plus 3 yrs of JD) but also for career trajectory.

I hope some time in the future some MBA programs might be able to offer a JD/MBA joint degree that cut down significantly the time require for the JD degree itself by only incorporating the courses most essential to the business functions or cater specifically to a certain niche career field. Coming from the business background it is less essential to learn how to be a lawyer than to be educated on the aspects that impact how a corporate is run (copy right law, merger and acquisition, negotiation, contract, HR)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Other)
Send PM
Hey bdubs, thanks for sharing. You mentioned that the Northwestern JD/MBA program is somewhat more competitive than the two year MBA program, I was wondering just how competitive you felt it was to get into the JD/MBA program? 25 openings is so limited! I was hoping you could share a bit more about what you feel made you stand out in the applications process.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot