Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How bad a low quant can ruin a reasonable score?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

How bad a low quant can ruin a reasonable score? [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 18:03
Hello guys,

I`m a GMAT veteran, already did it 5 times with my last one being today. I worked my scores up from 520, 590, something similar, 630 and my latest is a 680 (Quant: 42 and Verbal: 40).

I understand it puts me on an overall 85 percentile but only at a meager 57% percentile for Math. I understand that this is not good, but I wonder just how bad it is for the top schools. I`m still applying for the second round of some schools in the first week of January so even if I wanted I couldn`t take another test this year. My math percentile has remained stable while my verbal has increased each time.

I work for the Brazilian Treasury in the statistical department, so I figure this might be a positive counterweight for the low score.

I`ve also took some finance classes earlier in the year at the local college but didn`t exactly excelled. Still, I think it might show at least effort.

I have 8 years of work experience, two of which have been in the statistical department mentioned above.

My shortlist of MBA programs is composed of: Chicago, Yale, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins and George Washington.

I`m really happy that I`ve improved my score, but, at the same time, I`m worried about the low quant. Given that redoing the test isn`t an option, what is probably the best course of action to get accepted this year? Change the target schools? What would be possible to write on the essays to try and explain the low results?

Anyway, thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Alex
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: How bad a low quant can ruin a reasonable score? [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 19:14
While you are right to be concerned about your GMAT quant score, there are other aspects to your candidacy that show that you can handle this aspect of an MBA program. What you need to do is write an essay outlining your quant abilities and accomplishments in the optional section and state that the test results are not indicative of your analytical abilities.

Of the schools you are applying to, the only two where I think the GMAT issue might be a problem are Chicago and Yale. However, even with these two schools, if you explain your quant score properly and provide supporting information correctly, this might mitigate the quant score to a degree.

Good luck on your applications. I recommend that you stop worrying about this one aspect of your candidacy and start working on your applications as they are difficult and take much more time than most people expect.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: How bad a low quant can ruin a reasonable score? [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 03:47
Thanks for the quick reply and the advice : )
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 186

Re: How bad a low quant can ruin a reasonable score? [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2013, 18:29
Hi ,
I gave GMAT today and got a score of 680(Q 41,V42).
I am targeting ISB.I know its kind of a stretch but just wanted to check with you.

Details about my profile:
Work exp: 5 years(software/ India)
Academics: Good ,got decent scores( 88.4 and 88.2 in high school)

Could you please let me know if i stand a chance at ISB at all? Or i need a retake ?

Thanks for your kind consideration
Re: How bad a low quant can ruin a reasonable score?   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2013, 18:29