Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Schools:HBS '11
 Q50  V46
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Booth 2012
Send PM
Re: How do interviews factor in? [#permalink]
Kudos
Admission! :wink:

irishspring wrote:
What are signs your interview went well?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
sterny wrote:
Does the commitee go BACK to the application and review it before making the final decision?

Yes.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Personally (and based on absouletely no evidence) I tend to think that at most schools the interview is probably worth less than the written application.

I'm very interested in what others have to say on this topic...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
sterny wrote:
Does the commitee go BACK to the application and review it before making the final decision?

Yes.

I always assumed this to be the case, and it scares the crap out of me. :cry:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
sterny wrote:
So I have applied to Columbia, Wharton, Yale, Stern and Cornell.

I have so far recieved interview invites from Columbia, Wharton and Cornell. I am still waiting on Yale and Stern. I just had my Columbia interview last week and I am confused.

The interview was fairly informal and I cannot understand how candidates can be cut out after the interview process. If I am not wrong about 30-40% of the candidates get interviewed and about 30-40% of those that get interviewed should recieve acceptances.

My questions is, that since most of the interviews are blind to the application essays, and frankly not in-depth how can someone be rejected after the interview? Does the commitee go BACK to the application and review it before making the final decision? Or is the final decision completely dependent on the interview go/no-go result?

I just find the interview process a little arbitrary and almost feel like it holds lesser weight than indicated. But if that is indeed the case, then why even do the interview?

OK I am confused - anyone else know from experience the value of interviews? Can a good interview save a mediocre app..or vice versa?

Interview is just another datapoint as they say. It is not a go or no-go thing. They go back and review all the apps again, this time with the interview.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
The interview is also to uncover frauds, and people who have a hard time communicating in English (essays were ghost-written).

Although, I have met some people at info sessions, alum and current students at the highest of tier schools, who have terrible English skills. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting/Finance
Schools:Simon '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
I'm of the opinion that the interview is much like the GMAT in many ways. It won't get you in by itself but it may keep you out.

A whole lot of the B-School recruiting process is the ability to "schmooze" with recruiters, get along with your classmates and work in teams with those around you. I think that the interview is to get a sense of these qualities that you just can't get from reading someone's essays and looking at their resume. It's my opinion that a lot the interview is just to see if this person is a complete jerk or not and if they can express their plans well.

Lots of people with great numbers are either really huge dorks in person or are completely arrogant and won't get along well with their classmates. The interview gives a different perspective on how this person "plays with others" in a relatively stressful situation with an unknown person, much like it will be during recruiting and through most of the first semster as we're all feeling our way through. If you fall into the extremes of one of these types it's probably to the ding pile even if the rest of your app is stellar.

I agree (hope) that the rest of the application (Essays, GMAT, WE) is worth more than the interview since I never come across well in interviews.

Also, the above is just opinion so take it as you will.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Virflo wrote:
A friend of mine who conducts interviews for Kellog confirmed that interviews really do not play a big part in the selection process. He told me that on a few occasions, he strongly advised the admissions people NOT to accept an applicant and he/she was accepted, and (unfortunately) the other way around as well....

that takes a lot of the pressure off, thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I am curious as to what type of form is filled out by the 2nd year student interviewers or alumni interviewers...

Do they fill out a grid form with 1-10 scales, or write a statement about the candidate?

~Sam
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Tarmac wrote:
The interview is also to uncover frauds, and people who have a hard time communicating in English (essays were ghost-written).

Although, I have met some people at info sessions, alum and current students at the highest of tier schools, who have terrible English skills. :lol:

Just wonder how bad it is :twisted:

perhaps weight of interview depends on individual school's policy. I think that one important part is to verify our written stuffs and see how u response (comm skills/characteristics blah blah).
Maybe current MBA students can answer this question much better :lol: ... interesting topic
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
bball wrote:
Virflo wrote:
A friend of mine who conducts interviews for Kellog confirmed that interviews really do not play a big part in the selection process. He told me that on a few occasions, he strongly advised the admissions people NOT to accept an applicant and he/she was accepted, and (unfortunately) the other way around as well....

This might be specific to Kellogg though since they interview every applicant (am I correct?). I can easily see that if they interview everyone, that it wouldn't count much. However, for a place like HBS that only interviews 20% of its applicants and all interviews are conducted by adcom, I have to believe it counts for more. I do believe Kellogg and HBS are at the opposite ends of the spectrum though.

bball i believe you are right on. kellogg interviews >90% of applicants. HBS (assuming ~4000 R1 apps), interviews 850, or about 20% of applicants. Of those 850, it can offer admission to approximately 450 (again, assuming a 450/450/100 split by round). So, 450/850 = ~53% chance mathematically.

The reality (I think) is that each candidate walks into the interview with either a "Ding" or "Accept" over his/her head. The interview is just the final data point to make sure that the adcom's initial judgment is correct. Just my opinion, however.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
irishspring wrote:

Don't try to gauge whether your interview went well or not. I know this is much easier said than done, but trying to gauge an interviewer is pretty challenging. Some are "nice" interviewers, some are "intense" interviewers, and some manage to strike a personal connection with pretty much everyone they meet. Discerning what your interviewer's baseline state is, and determining how he/she reacted to you, is damn near impossible. Do your best, write a thank you note (email is fine if an email/business card is offered- again, this isn't a sign of anything), and start waiting :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
terry12 wrote:
irishspring wrote:

Don't try to gauge whether your interview went well or not. I know this is much easier said than done, but trying to gauge an interviewer is pretty challenging. Some are "nice" interviewers, some are "intense" interviewers, and some manage to strike a personal connection with pretty much everyone they meet. Discerning what your interviewer's baseline state is, and determining how he/she reacted to you, is damn near impossible. Do your best, write a thank you note (email is fine if an email/business card is offered- again, this isn't a sign of anything), and start waiting :-D

I try my best to do this but It's just so friggin' difficult. Often times, your last opportunity to make a good impression on a school is via the interview, so it's hard not to constantly think about how you did. I've had 3 interviews thus far, and I feel like they've all been not great but not horrible at the same time. The suspense is killing me!!! :shocked
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
msday86 wrote:
bball wrote:
Virflo wrote:

This might be specific to Kellogg though since they interview every applicant (am I correct?). I can easily see that if they interview everyone, that it wouldn't count much. However, for a place like HBS that only interviews 20% of its applicants and all interviews are conducted by adcom, I have to believe it counts for more. I do believe Kellogg and HBS are at the opposite ends of the spectrum though.

bball i believe you are right on. kellogg interviews >90% of applicants. HBS (assuming ~4000 R1 apps), interviews 850, or about 20% of applicants. Of those 850, it can offer admission to approximately 450 (again, assuming a 450/450/100 split by round). So, 450/850 = ~53% chance mathematically.

The reality (I think) is that each candidate walks into the interview with either a "Ding" or "Accept" over his/her head. The interview is just the final data point to make sure that the adcom's initial judgment is correct. Just my opinion, however.

if it's true that they already have a predetermined ding or accept then that's incredibly discouraging....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Schools:Booth 2012
Send PM
gt7er wrote:
if it's true that they already have a predetermined ding or accept then that's incredibly discouraging....

If that were the case, why would they interview you? Seems like a waste of resources all around.

Everyone doesn't walk in at the same level, but at the very least, you have something of a chance.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I feel that interviews are used to gauge your fit within the culture of the school, especially if you haven't had much interaction with current students, alumni, or admissions already throughout the process. If the school is big on fit, I think the interview holds a little more weight. If the school is more concerned with the stats they pump out every year, the interview won't hold as much value.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2